Camping. Yay or nay?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
View attachment 43289
Forum stalwart @SaintHacker is camping at Silverstone this weekend

He posted this on FB about 1/2 an hour ago, it’s definitely got that “I’m too old for this lark” look ???

As a mod you should know better than to post something like that before the watershed and without a health warning; infract yourself immediately!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you're reading this Paul, enjoy the racing. (y)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love camping off the track like when fishing. But campsites are a big no no for me. Surrounded by scumbags that can't control their children. Last time we went a "lovely" family thought it was OK to allow their children to have a water fight at 06:15 in the middle of the campsite. You wouldn't get a family acting that way in the Maldives ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only ever done camping at festivals. It's fine because you don't really care about most things, and there are places to buy food and stuff. I don't think I would ever want to go camping if it wasn't for a festival - I cannot see the point really. At the festival it's just a needs-must situation and you get on with it, but sleeping in a sleeping bag on hard ground, trying to change clothes inside a small tent, trying to wash yourself with wet wipes - all of this is not fun in itself.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a big no from me - and and even bigger no from the Mrs. As she rightfully points out, we have spend a lot money getting a nice house with nice kitchen , bathroom,etc - why would we want o go somewhere for 'enjoyment' with facilities that are nowhere near as nice as we have at home. A holiday is meant to be a treat so treat yourself to something nicer than you have normally.

Unless some of you live in a cave :ROFLMAO:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used to love camping when I was younger.
Great way to stay cheaply in the country.
After I got married Mrs was less keen, took the kids a few times but haven't camped for a long time now.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We caravan, but have camped over the weekend in a cheap Aldi tent which held up surprisingly well and lasted us a few years.
I think it depends on the tent as well. Some modern air tents are just something else. We set up in Beadnell just before Covid and two couples set up an air tent near to us, and it was huge! Inflated by an air pump, and you could have held a dance inside it.
Get one of these and you're camping on a different level.
go_349254_c

We use an air awning for the caravan as it stopped SO many arguments compared to putting up a standard frame awning.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We caravan, but have camped over the weekend in a cheap Aldi tent which held up surprisingly well and lasted us a few years.
I think it depends on the tent as well. Some modern air tents are just something else. We set up in Beadnell just before Covid and two couples set up an air tent near to us, and it was huge! Inflated by an air pump, and you could have held a dance inside it.
Get one of these and you're camping on a different level.
go_349254_c

We use an air awning for the caravan as it stopped SO many arguments compared to putting up a standard frame awning.
Which level is the loo and shower on? You can have the biggest tent in the world but if you have to walk through the mud and rain to have a pee - I'm out!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are many families who cannot afford anything else and with costs rising it will be an increasing number.

To the pious posters there is no need to decry other people's choices...

jmcp

Visit site
I was recently checking some campsites for the cost of pitching a 2 man tent for a night (Scotland) and a lot of sites are not allowing tents these days but the ones that did were charging approx £25 per night, I was gobsmacked as pre covid, it was usually approx £6-8 per night. I enjoy camping, sometimes wild camp but if on anything more than an overnight trip then I will try for campsites. We ended up staying in bunk houses/hostels instead as the forecast was poor (cycling trip) and even these are expensive these days, over £30 per night, it seems there is no such thing as a cheap holiday these days. Thanks.

Cheers, John

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Nope, Nope and thrice nope...... never again, not interested in the slightest.

Did it a number of times as a youngster whilst in the scouts. All trips involved getting wetter than wet on national wet day in wet town, wettest place. Not a lot worse than pitching your tent on the side of a Welsh mountain, and all your gear being soaked through by the time you have the tent up. Followed by it raining non stop for the next 5 days. I'm surprised there were no cases of trench foot before the home journey.

If it floats your boat, go for it, but it's a no for me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The other thing to consider is that there are different types of campsites to meet your needs. We are in the Camping and Caravanning Club, so there are a mixture of caravans, tents, camper vans, trailer tents, etc. on the site. They're very well run, very clean and do not allow the "high jinks" that seem to occur at the more commercial sites.
I don't really camp nowadays, having moved on to a caravan, but there is something wonderfully relaxing about staying on a nice, quiet site, with wonderful views and lovely countryside. My missus is a convert now, as we can go to different places in the UK and see parts of this great country we hadn't seen before. She uses the loo in the van, I'm happy to use the one in the block.
It's also a nice cheap way to attend events such as the MotoGP as the cost of camping is significantly cheaper than the local hotels, they are closer (usually just walk across the road), and also very social.
I loved camping when I was a kid, and my kids loved it too. Nothing wrong with camping. It's not for everyone, but for some, it ticks all the boxes.