Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
some of the posts on here😂😂

He’s had 6 top 10 in 14 events. 5 of them top 5s, yet he’s suddenly not very good? Or doesn’t care?

needs a new caddy? DJ has his brother caddying for him, Spieth has a school teacher!

Needs to move back to Titleist? He won 2 of his majors using Nike and is now with TM who DJ and Day are with?

There’s been 2 majors this year and he contended in one of them. That’s a good return for a pro of any level

D

Deleted member 15344

some of the posts on here😂😂

He’s had 6 top 10 in 14 events. 5 of them top 5s, yet he’s suddenly not very good? Or doesn’t care?

needs a new caddy? DJ has his brother caddying for him, Spieth has a school teacher!

Needs to move back to Titleist? He won 2 of his majors using Nike and is now with TM who DJ and Day are with?

There’s been 2 majors this year and he contended in one of them. That’s a good return for a pro of any level

Spot on

And seems to be doing ok at tbe moment - leading at 7 Under after 15 alongside Spieth

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Every tournament it’s the same thing. He has a bad round and everyone that doent rate him say he’s past it.

Every decent round and he’s the best in the world again.

For my money neither is quite right. But until he starts consistently having 2 decent rounds during the weekend this debate will always go on. Atm he tends to have one hit round from 4 but it’s down to pure chance when that is and if it isn’t on a Sunday when he’s around the rest then it’s all for nought. His top 10 stats or missed cuts don’t matter. Players as good as him are judged on one thing (wins) and quite simply over the last 18nonths there haven’t been as many as most would expect.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
some of the posts on here

Did he really contend? Everyone says that the masters comes alive on the back 9 on Sunday. Did anyone really think he had a chance by the time he was stood on the 10th? He finished 6 back wasn’t it? The only player in the top 10 to shoot over par if I recall.

He’s not a bad player over night. But he’s also not the player he once was, or seemed destined to be. Imo he’s a Rooney, heralded as the best at a young age, but others have surpassed him.

D

Deleted member 15344

Every tournament it’s the same thing. He has a bad round and everyone that doent rate him say he’s past it.

Every decent round and he’s the best in the world again.

For my money neither is quite right. But until he starts consistently having 2 decent rounds during the weekend this debate will always go on. Atm he tends to have one hit round from 4 but it’s down to pure chance when that is and if it isn’t on a Sunday when he’s around the rest then it’s all for nought. His top 10 stats or missed cuts don’t matter. Players as good as him are judged on one thing (wins) and quite simply over the last 18nonths there haven’t been as many as most would expect.

Well if you are going to judge him on 18 months then please do take into account the injury that hampered him for 10-12 of those months - and then the other 6 months he has also managed to win a tournament and come close a number of times including a major. And yes top 10 stats do matter because they give a good indication of how consistent a player is playing - McIlory is having a good season so far and still has plenty to play for.

Mendis has is spot on.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well if you are going to judge him on 18 months then please do take into account the injury that hampered him for 10-12 of those months - and then the other 6 months he has also managed to win a tournament and come close a number of times including a major. And yes top 10 stats do matter because they give a good indication of how consistent a player is playing - McIlory is having a good season so far and still has plenty to play for.

Mendis has is spot on.

Of course he does. Because he shares your opinion.....

if top 10s really mattered then Kuchar would be a hall of famer.

A player of his ability can coast and finish towards the business end, but a top 10 can easily be 6 shots off the lead and that’s not contending imo so shows little. As to the injuries. In the last 18 months he’s entered 64 comps with 1 win. He hasn’t been limping all that time. He hasn’t played as well as people expect of him. I hope he will again, but atm I wouldn’t expect him to do any better than DJ, Spieth, Dustin, Day, Rose.

what major was he close in?
he was 6 off the lead and capitulated in the final round.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A player of his ability can coast and finish towards the business end, but a top 10 can easily be 6 shots off the lead and that’s not contending imo so shows little. As to the injuries. In the last 18 months he’s entered 64 comps with 1 win. He hasn’t been limping all that time. He hasn’t played as well as people expect of him. I hope he will again, but atm I wouldn’t expect him to do any better than DJ, Spieth, Dustin, Day, Rose.

Alrite what are you expecting from him, to win almost every week?

Fine margins at elite sport, Rory could have won multiple events this season but a putt here or there from him or another guy has been the difference

He has had the third best 2018 out of any golfer on the planet, behind DJ and Pat Reed.

It is a testament to how great a golfer he is that when he misses a cut or goes a few weeks without contending that people start making threads about him... guess what plenty of elite golfers are having shocking seasons, only Tiger Woods was able to do consistently every season in the modern era

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Alrite what are you expecting from him, to win almost every week?

Fine margins at elite sport, Rory could have won multiple events this season but a putt here or there from him or another guy has been the difference

He has had the third best 2018 out of any golfer on the planet, behind DJ and Pat Reed.

It is a testament to how great a golfer he is that when he misses a cut or goes a few weeks without contending that people start making threads about him... guess what plenty of elite golfers are having shocking seasons, only Tiger Woods was able to do consistently every season in the modern era

I don’t expect him to win most weeks tbh, not atm.Im also not dismissing his ability. Just saying that I don’t think he is quite the player some may believe he is, or was expected to be.

I’m not sure how he is only behind those you mention either. This season 17/18 from October as that’s the schedule. Day, DJ, Thomas and Rose have multiple wins, whilst Koepka and Reid have majors. All of those are better seasons. All the other stats may be used as decided factors after the wins column. But 1win is better than any amount of top 5’s.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t know if this link will work, but it shows Rory and his slowing down when it comes to winning majors compared to Tiger and Jack when many predicted he would be as good or even better in terms of the number he would win as he started a bit earlier.

Still got chance to peak I guess in his 30s though, and I think when gets the monkey of Augusta off his back he will push on.

First round at the travelers he does seem very composed but then things are going well with good conditions and a not too challenging course.

https://goo.gl/images/3k2TWmB080A0B0-9CCF-4B91-A03A-7465DB731D00.jpg

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did he really contend? Everyone says that the masters comes alive on the back 9 on Sunday. Did anyone really think he had a chance by the time he was stood on the 10th? He finished 6 back wasn’t it? The only player in the top 10 to shoot over par if I recall.

He’s not a bad player over night. But he’s also not the player he once was, or seemed destined to be. Imo he’s a Rooney, heralded as the best at a young age, but others have surpassed him.

Did he contend? He was in the final group for crying out loud. Had a putt on the 2nd to tie the lead.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Did he contend? He was in the final group for crying out loud. Had a putt on the 2nd to tie the lead.

And as i said, everyone refers to the back 9 at Augusta being where it matters. Where was he then?

Imo, he flirted with the lead for a short time and then slipped weakly away. The highest round on the final day out of the top half was a poor showing. He had three good days, a comp is four days long and he didn't contend over the entire comp.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
And as i said, everyone refers to the back 9 at Augusta being where it matters. Where was he then?

Imo, he flirted with the lead for a short time and then slipped weakly away. The highest round on the final day out of the top half was a poor showing. He had three good days, a comp is four days long and he didn't contend over the entire comp.

Pretty sure the 1st shot of the round counts for the same amount of shots as the last shot of the 4th round.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

64 comps in the last 18 months - is he short of a bob or two or just really committed to his local medal? I think the stat is more like 33-35 comps in that period isn't it?

And yes, the media soundbite may be it gets started on the back 9 on Sunday but those in the final group on Sat night are in contention and therefore contending.

D

Deleted member 15344

64 ?!? Did you check that stat ?

He played 18 last season with a lot hampered by a rib injury so not sure why he would be limping

And he has played 13 so far this season - injury free and has one win and 4/5 other top 5 places

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I love Rory, but I can see why people have negative comments about him. When the wind gets up that's a problem; putt consistency is a problem; I might even question desire or indeed mental ability to deal with certain situations. I don't like the whole 'it's close' rhetoric, because it's every single tournament.

But, the best players in the world rate him very highly. At Wentworth, Noren said it was the best round he ever seen. But why didn't he kick on day 3 and 4? I watched him last night, might be an easier course, but -6 should feel disappointing for him given the birdie chances he missed.

I remember a 5Live program before a Major a few years ago, the night before it started, and they all picked their winner. Nobody picked him; they then changed the question along the lines of "if every player plays their best golf, who wins?". Everyone said Rory, no question.

Maybe he's not as good as the pros think he is, or ought to have been. I think more likely motivation has played a role, he needs a mental or competitive boost to contend when he's not at his best. I'm pretty sure he woke up Masters Sunday thinking he was going to win. Then a wayward first drive, and a missed eagle putt changed his whole demeanor. Someone asked earlier what it was holding him back; it's not ability - it mental.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember a 5Live program before a Major a few years ago, the night before it started, and they all picked their winner. Nobody picked him; they then changed the question along the lines of "if every player plays their best golf, who wins?". Everyone said Rory, no question.

I wonder if that was asked now whether the answer would be the same. I don't think that holds up now, there is only so long people can keep saying that and him not winning majors. It was unquestionably true for a while I would suggest.

Really good post by the way.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
64 ?!? Did you check that stat ?

He played 18 last season with a lot hampered by a rib injury so not sure why he would be limping

And he has played 13 so far this season - injury free and has one win and 4/5 other top 5 places

I did check it, but i meant rounds. I was just showing that he imo has played enough rounds to have strung 4 goods one together a little more often.

I think we may as well end this now though as we have polar opposite opinions.

D

Deleted member 1147

If he's only played 64 rounds in the last 18 months, from 31 tournaments, he must be doing incredibly badly, as that suggest isn't managing to make any cuts whatsoever

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Pretty sure the 1st shot of the round counts for the same amount of shots as the last shot of the 4th round.

Statistically yes, one shot is one shot. But if a mistake occurs early in a round the player can still try recovered re a game plan and choose where they think they can recover.

If he's only played 64 rounds in the last 18 months, from 31 tournaments, he must be doing incredibly badly, as that suggest isn't managing to make any cuts whatsoever

They were only from pga list, i'm sure he has done ok in europe also.