Stats (for those who are interested only)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s not perfect. But it is useful. Unlike previous statistics of fairways, greens and number of putts which not.
I do agree that Strokes gained is a huge advance on the traditional stats.

Just a little more sceptical about the comparisons against a database for shots from the rough. Using your own stats to record trends may be useful. It is also probably useful at PGA tour level where the comparisons are real time against your peer group playing the same tournament. But I would treat shots form the rough against the database as a comparator with a large pinch of salt.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What would be interesting would be to see the same tournament stats for driving distance, GIR, sand saves etc. allowing a comparison for the usual drive vs putt debate.
Yep, preferably all in strokes gained to allow some sort of useful comparison.

Re. The putting, I wonder if causation and correlation could be confused. I'm imagining that someone who knows they're going to miss the cut might not concentrate so much. Would be more useful if it was for players within 2 of the line who are really sweating it.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s an inequivalent comparison. It takes a meaningless 10 positions from the four days play and compares to it to an undefined number of players that didn’t participate in the same number of rounds as they were cut after two days play.

All it does is confirm that players who missed the cut must have scored higher compared to the players that survived.

I believe the saying is. “Well, duh!”

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm 87% from 0-2 feet (thought that was more)
3-5 feet i'm 47%
6-9 = 30%
10-14 = 24%
15-24 = 21%
25-29 + 31%
40feet+ = 16%

Despite that I'm +1/5 strokes gained for my putting. Stats can be misleading lol

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 87% from 0-2 feet (thought that was more)
3-5 feet i'm 47%
6-9 = 30%
10-14 = 24%
15-24 = 21%
25-29 + 31%
40feet+ = 16%

Despite that I'm +1/5 strokes gained for my putting. Stats can be misleading lol
Unless I'm misunderstanding, those numbers look a bit odd, more success from 25 - 29 ft than from 6 - 9ft and considerably more than 15 - 24ft?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unless I'm misunderstanding, those numbers look a bit odd, more success from 25 - 29 ft than from 6 - 9ft and considerably more than 15 - 24ft?
I am guessing I've been draining my fair share of long ones. I am OCD about marking the flag position on Arcoss as I play so I know the pin positions are right (I also check them as I'm reviewing/editing). I can think of a few in recent weeks that have dropped. I've attached a picture of the statsthumbnail_Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 09.10.39.jpg

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am guessing I've been draining my fair share of long ones. I am OCD about marking the flag position on Arcoss as I play so I know the pin positions are right (I also check them as I'm reviewing/editing). I can think of a few in recent weeks that have dropped. I've attached a picture of the statsView attachment 51899
Does it tell you how many putts for each distance range?

% made can be skewed if you hole one or of a small number of putts.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m not a fan of this Lou stat as bunker shots are so variable but moral of the story is take as much club as you can!

IMG_0815.jpeg

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This is what I call Stats for Stats sake....almost pointless
As you say, so many variables I doubt you could list them all....
Yeah I agree on this one. I mean Lou Stagner does weekly emails and pods so there’s going to be some but interesting how the stats average as short for every hcp and distance. I can relate to that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting stat from my round today - I hit 60% of fairways but 0% greens in reg.

Up and down 22.2% so rescued a couple of them. 😆