Stats (for those who are interested only)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First stat comes from Lou Stagner and the Arccos database, on how much we generally hit the green from certain distances on the fairway.

I’ve been guilty of thinking on the range that I’m excellent from 95yards and then getting angry when I miss a couple on the course. This proves why I shouldn’t be.

Those stats are fairly mind blowing when you get down to the 175 to 200 range.

D

Deleted member 1147

Those stats are fairly mind blowing when you get down to the 175 to 200 range.
200 yds in, 5 iron in hand and a scratch player will miss around 70% of the time. No wonder it seems a tough game for the rest of us.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest how many 20 handicappers are hitting a 5 iron in to 200 yards … isn’t this all related to driver distance and the benefits of hitting it long

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest how many 20 handicappers are hitting a 5 iron in to 200 yards … isn’t this all related to driver distance and the benefits of hitting it long
I'm a 14 but I need to be hitting 5 wood for 200 yards, not 5 iron. I don't even own a 5 iron either.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well age is not on my side plus health issues. If I hit my driver 180 yards I will be doing cart wheels. The answer to your question is less than 5% I would estimate.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know how many are but I wouldn't mind betting 95% of those that attempt it will still have another shot to reach the green 😄

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like stats but I’m a stuck record on this: The Arccos and ShotScope stats are not as reliable as they claim, especially not when it comes to putting.

I use ShotScope. It’s mostly fine tee to green but from then with a putter in hand it’s a work of fiction. I know I’m not the only person entering nonsense into their database.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
First stat comes from Lou Stagner and the Arccos database, on how much we generally hit the green from certain distances on the fairway.

I’ve been guilty of thinking on the range that I’m excellent from 95yards and then getting angry when I miss a couple on the course. This proves why I shouldn’t be.

I like Lou's stat's and I have taken on board his manage your expectations mantra, it stops me stressing when I hit a less than perfect shot and it has helped my game.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like stats but I’m a stuck record on this: The Arccos and ShotScope stats are not as reliable as they claim, especially not when it comes to putting.

I use ShotScope. It’s mostly fine tee to green but from then with a putter in hand it’s a work of fiction. I know I’m not the only person entering nonsense into their database.
I suspect you're spot on with your comment on putting.
As far as Shotscope is concerned I'm not totally sure about their approach shot calculations either. I stopped collecting data when I was playing a 210 yd Par three and getting to the middle of the green and it was recording shot length between 160 and 180 yds.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect you're spot on with your comment on putting.
As far as Shotscope is concerned I'm not totally sure about their approach shot calculations either. I stopped collecting data when I was playing a 210 yd Par three and getting to the middle of the green and it was recording shot length between 160 and 180 yds.

Ah, yes, the perils of consumer grade GPS considered to be indisputable fact.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only look at my stats to be fair, do I go this deep , no.
I just look at it simplistically and work on the basis some holes I will bogey and a par is not a given.
Do I beat myself up for missing yes I do, how do I stop missing, I suppose accept the truth.
The stats are really only as good as the data set and I really don’t know what or who is doing or inputting

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The next question is that a 5 iron with what loft ?!?
@Orikoru maybe rename that club
Bryson de C says his 5-iron is 17°. "... technically that's a 2-iron." says he.
My Ping i10 5-iron is 27°.
Some of my older sets are around or over 30° for the 5-iron.

There's some statistical facts for everyone to muse over. (or not) ;)