Rory, new coach? New caddie or what?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What is with the Rory obsession on here

Rahm, Garcia, Spieth, Day, Bubba all missed the cut...maybe we need a thread on each, ask what is going on, is it mental, is it x part of their game

If you want to start a thread on the players you mention,crack on.

If you don’t want to discuss Rory then don’t 👍🏻

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
What is with the Rory obsession on here

Rahm, Garcia, Spieth, Day, Bubba all missed the cut...maybe we need a thread on each, ask what is going on, is it mental, is it x part of their game

Rahm to much of a hot head to win a US open at this point in his career.
Garcia blows hot and cold since his masters win.
Spieth can’t put anymore.
Day is a bit streaky at the minute.
Bubba is mental.
Their you go sorted 👍👍

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rahm to much of a hot head to win a US open at this point in his career.
Garcia blows hot and cold since his masters win.
Spieth can’t put anymore.
Day is a bit streaky at the minute.
Bubba is mental.
Their you go sorted 

Cheers!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He’s fast becoming one dimensional, anything other than long, soft and no wind he seems to struggle. His putting is poor and he has a heart the size of a pea.

Exactly this. He is mentally weak and performs when there is no pressure. Until he's honest with himself and his game he will remain an almost great

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt say he was mentally weaker than any of the other top 10 current players they all seem to be fantastic one week not great the next . I just think the expectations of him were too high! The next Tiger or Jack :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rory looks like he hasn't matured IMO. You look at DJ and all they talk about on US TV is how he has matured as a golfer and has realized that blasting the ball 350 yards off the tee isn't going to win big tournaments. He has learned how to make a score, he has proven that so far in the US Open.

Rory is a great golfer, but when you look at it if you had to bet your house on someone to win a major would it be on Rory. Compare his last 10 tournaments to DJ. 1 win, 2 top 10s and 3 missed cuts compared to 2 wins, a 2nd, 2 further top 10s and no missed cuts.

Come on Phil your a fellow Liverpool fan, Rory makes me think of Collymore. All the ability and on his day can be unstoppable, problem is you don't know which is turning up. To me that is the difference between the very best and the rest.

I know I've compared him to DJ, but hey he is the best in the world at the minute, but then again he made a mess of his 3rd round. So lets see if DJ really is as good as people think, Tiger in his prime could go out after today and come back with a low score, can DJ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO since he left his original management crew the Rory team have become isolationists with their style of 'family' run operations.

Rory need someone firm like Butch Harmon to coach his course management and the short game especially. His attitude quickly changes after a bad break - the shoulder slump and he appears to go into a sulk like a petulant kid. Perhaps his considerable his wealth has deflated his determination or his ability to listen to criticism I'm not sure but he is disappointing to watch.

I agree with the DJ comparison, there's a guy who can hit a mile but he has worked hard accuracy and on the rest of his game. Rory hasn't tried (IMO) to develop his mind and manage his obvious talent.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He's playing again this week but i'll not be putting any money on him . FWIW, I think he needs to go back to Titleist and get a proper caddie and everything will be just fine.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory looks like he hasn't matured IMO. You look at DJ and all they talk about on US TV is how he has matured as a golfer and has realized that blasting the ball 350 yards off the tee isn't going to win big tournaments. He has learned how to make a score, he has proven that so far in the US Open.

Rory is a great golfer, but when you look at it if you had to bet your house on someone to win a major would it be on Rory. Compare his last 10 tournaments to DJ. 1 win, 2 top 10s and 3 missed cuts compared to 2 wins, a 2nd, 2 further top 10s and no missed cuts.

Come on Phil your a fellow Liverpool fan, Rory makes me think of Collymore. All the ability and on his day can be unstoppable, problem is you don't know which is turning up. To me that is the difference between the very best and the rest.

I know I've compared him to DJ, but hey he is the best in the world at the minute, but then again he made a mess of his 3rd round. So lets see if DJ really is as good as people think, Tiger in his prime could go out after today and come back with a low score, can DJ?

A few years ago Rory was untouchable, then Jason Day, then Speith, then DJ.

I don't think we can say with any certainty that one of those golfer has matured more or less than the others until they have been consistently at the top for several seasons. It doesn't look plausible now that DJ will lose his form but we didn't think Speith would or Rory when they were playing so well.

The thing that is bothering me about Rory is that he is consistently putting himself in contention, often in the final group (US Open excluded) which is where you would think he would be best place to kick on an win. But recently his final round has been poor. I don't know if it's because he is chasing birdies rather than just playing golf and scoring or what but he looks fragile in the final round Master 2018 and the BMW Championship.

Both times you would have thought Rory a couple behind a player a tier below is ability would kick on an win, but both times just faded away.

Perhaps just one big win in a situation like that would fix it, 2 behind on the final round in the last group and overhauling a decent golfer to win.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rory will continue to do it his way and can't see him making any changes to his coach and management team. He's streaky. Hell have good weeks and others where he'll not play well and frankly not look bothered. I do think the likes of DJ and Day are starting to move the game on again and not sure McIlroy is quite keeping pace

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think he just looks golfed out. What I mean by that is he has got so much into the day to day grind of what he does, that he has lost any sort of enjoyment he had for the game. He just seems too intense and the pressure of the expectations have got to him.

I think he'll have a few lean years but then he'll hit early / mid thirties and start to clean up again once he has relaxed a bit.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he just looks golfed out. What I mean by that is he has got so much into the day to day grind of what he does, that he has lost any sort of enjoyment he had for the game. He just seems too intense and the pressure of the expectations have got to him.

I think he'll have a few lean years but then he'll hit early / mid thirties and start to clean up again once he has relaxed a bit.

I wonder if having the Masters early in the season messes with him. He obviously puts himself under huge pressure to win that tournament and maybe he can't relax very easily afterwards. If he had a whole season of golf under his belt before that kind of pressure he may be able to cope with it better.

Don't know just spit balling

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone posted back in the earlier threads that he appears one dimensional. That to me is a good description. His whole approach appears to be to overpower the golf course, and give himself as many chances at birdies as possible. Trouble with that approach is that when it doesn't come of it's a bogey fest.

I recall a shot at the US Open, he was a mile down the fairway, had something like 150 in and hit a GW that promptly spun back off the green (Green sloped down from back to front)......it was the most retarded shot selection you would ever see a Pro attempt. At that point the caddie should be taking away the GW and handing him a 9 iron.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Someone posted back in the earlier threads that he appears one dimensional. That to me is a good description. His whole approach appears to be to overpower the golf course, and give himself as many chances at birdies as possible. Trouble with that approach is that when it doesn't come of it's a bogey fest.

I recall a shot at the US Open, he was a mile down the fairway, had something like 150 in and hit a GW that promptly spun back off the green (Green sloped down from back to front)......it was the most retarded shot selection you would ever see a Pro attempt. At that point the caddie should be taking away the GW and handing him a 9 iron.

My comment a few up in this thread is relevant here . He's got his mate on the bag not a tour hardened caddie . It just doesn't seem that he's going to question the boss' decisions but just merely hands him the selected club. I don't know that for sure but that's how it seems anyway.t

D

Deleted member 15344

My comment a few up in this thread is relevant here . He's got his mate on the bag not a tour hardened caddie . It just doesn't seem that he's going to question the boss' decisions but just merely hands him the selected club. I don't know that for sure but that's how it seems anyway.t

That’s the sort of caddy McIlroy wants - he seems to prefer the quieter sort of caddy and work things out his own way , can’t see him being like Mickleson and Bones etc. JP was also very relaxed. I don’t see him being able to work with someone who wants to be involved

And I’m unsure why people think he should go back to Titleist - Rory was more successful using Nike’s.

Maybe a new coach would help but I don’t think he is too far away from winning again - can see him doing well at Bethpage

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
A new coach isn’t going to stop him trying to hit everything at a 100% and flying greens, a firmer caddie would help him but he doesn’t want that type of caddie. He needs to try and grind rounds out, but it seems it’s not in his make up.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A new coach isn’t going to stop him trying to hit everything at a 100% and flying greens, a firmer caddie would help him but he doesn’t want that type of caddie. He needs to try and grind rounds out, but it seems it’s not in his make up.

He needs to look at the likes of Justin Thomas & DJ, who have learnt to hit half shots & got better with their wedges - they used to try & overpower everything but have added more to their game. Both also have fulltime caddies as well, which may be part of that