Robin Matthews-Williams

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless I've misunderstood, he claims to be an assistant PGA professional but admits he has trouble breaking 80. That isn't exactly a good advert for his methods, is it?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a look at some of his YouTube stuff last night. It’s very interesting and I do believe most golfers who have played for any length of time lose a certain amount of feel and freedom by trying to follow instruction on set up, swing plane etc. He is quite right for example when he says for a beginner the short game is the easiest bit, just chipping it 20’ is no problem. Once you have been playing a while you can drive it 250yds but that chip becomes all but impossible. The feel has been lost.
That said though, I did try the not looking thing a few weeks ago and it didn’t really work. Maybe I didn’t trust it enough or didn’t give it a chance.
I was helped a while back when I read this article https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...4/frustrated-golfer-syndrome-causes-and-cures
In particular, this comment “the primary difference between a professional and an amateur golfer lies in the extraordinary awareness of the professional, an awareness of body, club and target.”
So maybe Robin can flush it so well without looking because he is naturally a good player with a very high awareness of where the club head is.
So the question is, should I and others like me take the time and trouble to learn the “no look shot” or concentrate more on my current lesson of preventing early extension and keeping my head still, which to be fair is pretty well proven? Robin himself says he isn’t playing much golf right now and the other pro who was teaching the “no look shot” admitted he didn’t use it on the course. On the other hand I can see why playing more instinctively and with feel would be a huge benefit and surely learning this would help in that regard?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Tried it for about 150 balls out of curiosity a few months ago.

Resulted in hitting them flush but with a massive hook.

Not for me I’m afraid but I can understand how it would benefit some people.

Not too sure on him attacking other YouTubers though if I’m honest. Think that’s a bit off, especially in the manner he does it.

We have a lady golfer at ours who hits the ball without looking. She is a tennis coach by day, when she plays to hit the golf ball, she closes her eyes and looks away during the back swing, and doesn't reopen until she's hit the ball, which usually goes straight up the middle.

TheDork

Visit site
I've just watched his latest vid, he talks a lot of sense if you actually listen to what he says about the clubs we use/buy and I guess he'll be stirring the pot a fair bit but unfortunately for him the corporate YT'ers will always be where the money is.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a fan. Only watched his first few videos, Youtube almost forced me to with the amount of times his content was displayed in my recommended (wonder how much he paid for that?), and I thought it was the Golfing Youtube equivalent of The Kardashians. Doesn't say anything of any worth that hasn't been said before and covers over that fact with constant camera cuts and angle changes to keep it "interesting". It's exactly the same thing trash TV shows do to keep you watching, if you were forced to listen to them sat talking in a room for 20 minutes you'd switch off so they have to keep it interesting somehow. He then also distracts from the fact he's not saying anything and repeating himself by constantly swearing. Definitely not a channel I would choose to actively watch.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I like the content and have zero time for mars bar sellers who want £30-£50 an hour to teach. good luck if you can scam that price out of people.
Apparently for a mere £150 quid he will come down to your local range to walk you through the no look shot.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Youtube is a great platform because people can try new things

So many cookie cutter channels good to have a fresh approach

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to be honest, I really like the guy now. He regularly takes the mick out of some of the more ridiculous training aids and videos, and not that I don't think those other things have their place, it's just the way he does it makes me laugh. I think there's a place for a character like him in golf so probably a good thing overall. You never know, if he can help shed the supposed 'stuffy' image of golf then he might be doing good things for golf generally.

This one I thought was hilarious to be fair.
click here

I mean, that sort of thing deserves to be ridiculed. Imagine telling people with a straight face that wiggling around in a chair will improve their golf.

[Embedded image removed, linked instead. Brendy]

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Watched half of one of his videos.
Nope,sorry.....attention seeking doesn't quite do it justice.
Shan't be watching any more.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
You never know, if he can help shed the supposed 'stuffy' image of golf then he might be doing good things for golf generally.

This one I thought was hilarious to be fair.
click here

I mean, that sort of thing deserves to be ridiculed. Imagine telling people with a straight face that wiggling around in a chair will improve their golf.
:D:D:D

Fair play to him.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
His content is poor at best, not that keen on a lot of the main YouTube pros, really don't know how shields and finch became GM top coaches when they have nothing of significance on their coaching CV's, they have YouTube followers but that's about it, their audience wasn't even built up through instructional videos so obviously just a PR stunt by GM. There are a few guys who know what they are talking about on YouTube, but as a whole it's a minefield of info and there's lots more bad advice than good advice. I'd always recommend going to see a well known proven coach to get advice from and if they recommend watching content it will probably be worth listening to

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
His content is poor at best, not that keen on a lot of the main YouTube pros, really don't know how shields and finch became GM top coaches when they have nothing of significance on their coaching CV's, they have YouTube followers but that's about it, their audience wasn't even built up through instructional videos so obviously just a PR stunt by GM. There are a few guys who know what they are talking about on YouTube, but as a whole it's a minefield of info and there's lots more bad advice than good advice. I'd always recommend going to see a well known proven coach to get advice from and if they recommend watching content it will probably be worth listening to
It seems like you've misunderstood RMW a bit. I'm not sure he's out there to rival others' coaching advice. More just to provide a different view on golf generally, call a spade a spade and cut through the BS really. He has done some coaching-type content but there's a large quantity of his videos that aren't that.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He isn't calling a spade a spade though, he talks complete bs and his content is terrible. I know plenty of low handicap (plus handicaps) like myself who have no interest in turning pro but actually wind local pros up because we beat them like a drum, honestly there are lots of good pros about I can name quite a few around the central belt of Scotland. For every good one though who was actually a decent player you get Muppets who get to a 4 or 3 hcap and become an assistant, it devalues the pga pro in my view. They should at highest have held a handicap of 2 for a season to become a teaching pro IMHO

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He isn't calling a spade a spade though, he talks complete bs and his content is terrible. I know plenty of low handicap (plus handicaps) like myself who have no interest in turning pro but actually wind local pros up because we beat them like a drum, honestly there are lots of good pros about I can name quite a few around the central belt of Scotland. For every good one though who was actually a decent player you get Muppets who get to a 4 or 3 hcap and become an assistant, it devalues the pga pro in my view. They should at highest have held a handicap of 2 for a season to become a teaching pro IMHO
Think you are a bit wide of the mark there, the best players don't automatically make the best coaches. I really think a handicap has no bearing on a coach, if you can pass the teaching tests and prove you have the depth of knowledge to teach, what has your golf ability got to do with it? You may be physically impaired but have an amazing eye for teaching and never get the chance because you can't play sub 75 golf.