RIP MashieNiblick (Mike Stillman, 10.6.1961 - 10.1.2017)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dear golfing friends

I couldn't bring myself to come back to this thread, as it's all so painful still. But today I managed it! And I want to thank you all so much for your kind words.

Of course I am having a tear (or two) but well worth it to read the posts you have left. I will be copying them for a memory box or boxes (more likely!) that I am putting together for Mike, so the fact that you took time to respond really matters to me.

Mike asked (and our son and I are only too keen to help) for a bench at his club with his name on it - and the club have responded most warmly to that suggestion. I like the idea of his golfing mates sitting on the bench at the end of a long hard round, bemoaning what a dreadfully difficult game golf is!

All very best wishes

Cathy

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cathy, it's lovely to hear that during this sad, awful time, the words of Mike's friends (virtual or otherwise) act as a small amount of comfort.

Should the golf club look for donations, then it would be wise to post details on this thread, where I'd imagine a lot of forum users would be more than willing to contribute.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only just seen this - was away when first posted.

I'm shocked and very saddened to read this. Sincere condolences to you and your family Cathy.

When I had my scare a few years back I remember Mike replying to my post which I very much appreciated.

I'm sure it has been hard for you to post on here and also comforting to see how well respected he was on this forum.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Dear Cathy, so sorry for your loss. I only met Mike twice on Forum trips but remember him well as a totally positive character & always willing to help others around him. It was a brave of you to let us know via this Forum of Mike's passing. Wishing you & your son all the best for the future. RIP Mike
Dear golfing friends

I couldn't bring myself to come back to this thread, as it's all so painful still. But today I managed it! And I want to thank you all so much for your kind words.

Of course I am having a tear (or two) but well worth it to read the posts you have left. I will be copying them for a memory box or boxes (more likely!) that I am putting together for Mike, so the fact that you took time to respond really matters to me.

Mike asked (and our son and I are only too keen to help) for a bench at his club with his name on it - and the club have responded most warmly to that suggestion. I like the idea of his golfing mates sitting on the bench at the end of a long hard round, bemoaning what a dreadfully difficult game golf is!

All very best wishes

Cathy

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dear friends

Thank you very much for all your kind words. And a big thank you for those lovely photos of Mike in happier times. I've taken copies.

If anyone wishes to make a contribution in his memory, please feel free to make a donation to Sue Ryder. Their Nettlebed hospice did an extraordinary job of caring for him, and indeed the whole family. They are still looking after me now. Mike had the misfortune to suffer from a very rare and extremely painful form of cancer, and the hospice managed to control his pain successfully when no other doctors could! Just go to this page https://www.sueryder.org/donate/one-off-donation-in-memory/donation-form and when you scroll down to the foot of the page, select Nettlebed, when the option "I'm donating because of the work of:" appears.

Golfers must be a good-hearted bunch as one of Mike's golfing mates is going to help me sort through and distribute his rather large collection of bags and clubs. Mike specified charities for them to go to - though it may take a while for any charity shop to sell his substantial collection of 6 irons! His precious Scotty Cameron putter though remains resolutely at home, in case I should want to do some impromptu putting on the carpet.

With warmest wishes

Cathy