RIP Lamont Dozier

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Lamont Dozier, of Holland/Dozier/Holland, has sadly passed. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, Holland/Dozier/Holland was probably the premier songwriting & production team for Berry Gordy's Motown label. They were responsible for, amongst other hits, Freda Payne's Band Of Gold, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Heat Wave, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere to Run, The Isley Brothers' Guess I'll Always Love You and This Old Heart of Mine, Alison Moyet's Invisible, Phil Collins' Two Hearts, Odyssey's Going Back To My Roots, The Four Tops' Bernadette, I Can't Help Myself & Loco In Acapulco, The Supremes' Come See About Me, I Hear A Symphony, You Keep Me Hanging' On & You Can't Hurry Love, Marvin Gaye's Can I Get A Witness and How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), and many more. The amount of songs that he was involved with that are still played today, nearly 60 years after they were first produced, and will continue to be played is staggering.

RIP Lamont, and thanks for both the memories & the music that I will continue to listen to, including this one;

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lamont Dozier, of Holland/Dozier/Holland, has sadly passed. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, Holland/Dozier/Holland was probably the premier songwriting & production team for Berry Gordy's Motown label. They were responsible for, amongst other hits, Freda Payne's Band Of Gold, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Heat Wave, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere to Run, The Isley Brothers' Guess I'll Always Love You and This Old Heart of Mine, Alison Moyet's Invisible, Phil Collins' Two Hearts, Odyssey's Going Back To My Roots, The Four Tops' Bernadette, I Can't Help Myself & Loco In Acapulco, The Supremes' Come See About Me, I Hear A Symphony, You Keep Me Hanging' On & You Can't Hurry Love, Marvin Gaye's Can I Get A Witness and How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), and many more. The amount of songs that he was involved with that are still played today, nearly 60 years after they were first produced, and will continue to be played is staggering.

RIP Lamont, and thanks for both the memories & the music that I will continue to listen to, including this one;

Every one of those songs are classics, ones that you never tire of hearing.
He has certainly left his mark on musical history.
Was he involved in, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", by Marvin Gaye?
One of my all time Mowtown favourites.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Every one of those songs are classics, ones that you never tire of hearing.
He has certainly left his mark on musical history.
Was he involved in, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", by Marvin Gaye?
One of my all time Mowtown favourites.

That was written by Norman Whitfield & Barrett Strong, produced by Norman Whitfield. I believe Barrett Strong is best known for "Money (That's What I Want)", revived by The Flying Lizards in the 80's I think.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This reminds me about a series of three books that I read recently by Stuart Cosgrove.

The first is Detroit 67 ‘The year that changed soul’. It basically runs through the history of Motown (not just ‘67) and the background to the Detroit riots of that year. HDH are covered in the book.

The second is Memphis 68 and charts Stax records and the events surrounding the assassination of Martin Luther King.

The third is Harlem 69 and covers the history of soul music in New York and the genesis of much of the soul music of the 70s.

I can’t recommend these books highly enough if you love music and enjoy history. If you subscribe to a music service such as Spotify you can listen to the different artists as they are mentioned.