Re- Gripping

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve got 9 grips coming shortly which I’m going to put on myself

Just asking for some dos and don’t before I start.

Mate that re gripped mine before uses white spirit poured down the grip gives it a good shake then just slides grip on.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually get the solvent when I get the grips, had a pump spray this time and that was fine. Just watch a few videos and use a bit of carpet off cut on the floor so you don’t damage the club soles. Too much solvent isn’t a big issue not enough is .. so be generous

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's pretty straightforward, make sure you pull the grip all the way down so you don't end up with a 'wobbly' bit at the top. Also, make sure you have ordered the correct size grips, they come in. 600 and. 580
Google the butt diameter of the shafts you have. Either grip will fit but you might need to build up the layers of tape if you ordered the wrong size.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got 9 grips coming shortly which I’m going to put on myself

Just asking for some dos and don’t before I start.

Mate that re gripped mine before uses white spirit poured down the grip gives it a good shake then just slides grip on.

Both golfpride and lamkin have videos on their sites in how to do it.
my advice first time out is use plenty of solvent and a vice.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't use a vice when fitting a grip, just hold the shaft in the hand not holding the grip and Ive always gone them straight.
What I would say is push the grip on, dont pull it. You are less likely to have differing overall thicknesses due to a stretched grip.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did 3 at the weekend for the first time ever.

heat gun/hair dryer is your friend to remove the old tape. Take care when cutting the grips off, ideally a hook blade Stanley knife. use more solvent than you think necessary to make sure the grips slide on easy

just take your time and your confidence will grow.

i put on Tour Velvet 360s, so a relative piece of cake as no markings to align.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use white spirit and the pre-cut 2" wide strips.
Finger over the end of the hole in the grip, plenty solvent in, give it a shake then pour over the tape.
I dont use a vice, just push it on.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's pretty straightforward, make sure you pull the grip all the way down so you don't end up with a 'wobbly' bit at the top. Also, make sure you have ordered the correct size grips, they come in. 600 and. 580
Google the butt diameter of the shafts you have. Either grip will fit but you might need to build up the layers of tape if you ordered the wrong size.

Thanks I’ll have to check the size not sure I ordered 600 or 580 and to be honest I didn’t fully understand the difference.

I assume you can use these grips for woods also, I have Taylormade Burner irons and Calloway woods.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my first attempt many years ago, I made the mistake of leaning the toe of the club on the ground and pulling the new grip onto the shaft.
The shaft broke at the neck, lesson learned the hard way.:cry:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use white spirit and the pre-cut 2" wide strips.
Finger over the end of the hole in the grip, plenty solvent in, give it a shake then pour over the tape.
I dont use a vice, just push it on.

At my first attempt many years ago, I made the mistake of leaning the toe of the club on the ground and pulling the new grip onto the shaft.

My one and only attempt a few years ago used white spirit in grip but never put any on tape, grip got stuck halfway down?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another mate of mine uses petrol instead of white spirit, think I’ll take one round to my mates to do the first one and watch him. ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
.....heat gun/hair dryer is your friend to remove the old tape......

This was such a useful tip when I did mine last summer. The time prior to that spent flippin' ages trying to scrape and peel the tape off. Heat it first and it peels off really easily.

Prefer using a vice (with the rubber clamp), just makes it really simple to push the grip on as your hands can get a bit slippy with the solvent.

Put put a plastic tray/ container underneath to catch all the excess solvent that that you pour over and put back in the bottle for next time.

It's pretty straightforward, make sure you pull the grip all the way down so you don't end up with a 'wobbly' bit at the top.....

Once on, turn the club upside down and tap the grip end on the floor to ensure it's fully on.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks I’ll have to check the size not sure I ordered 600 or 580 and to be honest I didn’t fully understand the difference.

I assume you can use these grips for woods also, I have Taylormade Burner irons and Calloway woods.

Shafts tend to have butt sizes of .580 or .600 inches, not all but the majority. If you put a .600 core grip on a .600 shaft you get a standard size grip, same for 0.580 on a 0.580 shaft. Put a .580 core grip on a .600 shaft and it comes up about halfway between standard and midsize, 0.600 core on a .580 shaft comes up under size if it sticks. Simples.

D

Deleted member 18588

Never pull a grip on!

Always push.

Pulling can stretch the grip.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Never pull a grip on!

Always push.

Pulling can stretch the grip.
Never had a problem , use enough solvent and they slide on with no issues. A grip is strong enough to resist any deformation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use an old washing up bottle to pour the solvent in to the grip and a paint tray to catch the solvent.

Use the grip as the method of pouring out the solvent. Keep a finger or thumb over the hole in the grip and fill to the top hold just above the shaft and take your finger off the hole and it will pour out more slowly so you can run it up and down the tape. I always do this twice to ensure plenty of solvent on the grip and the time for the glue to melt.

When pushing on the grip stand to one side and not behind as the solvent will spurt out of the hole.

Have rag to hand to wipe off any solvent that gets where you do not want it this can also be useful if solvent gets on you hands and makes then to slippy to grip.

With some grips I stand the open end in hot water to soften them before putting e.g Winn style grips.