Re- Gripping

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Life changing tip:
Just hang the rag over the end of the grip as you slide it on, then it everything that spurts out will be caught straight away.

Up to you but you're using way too much fluid.

Thanks for the tip.

Not worried about how much fluid because I am just using the same fluid twice. I refill the grip with the fluid in the tray.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two other tips just remembered.

When you place the shaft in the vice have it with butt slightly down so the fluid runs to the butt and not down the shaft.

Try to avoid getting solvent on the grip as it can cause the paint to run with some grips. (Goes slightly against using a rag which has solvent on it to hold the grip when pushing if needed).

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the clubs still have the original grips or at least the grips are perfectly aligned I put a piece of masking tape just below the grip and mark where the centre is with a pencil or sharpie, makes it easier and quicker to get the grip on straight. Measure the grip with a tape or use another unfitted grip to check the fitted size is correct and it hasn't been overstretched. As mentioned before I use a 12" paint tray which has a pouring spout for collection excess fluid and cover the vent hole at the end of the grip with a cloth to save it shooting out all over yourself. Wear old clothes, boiler suit or apron as it does smell if you get it on your clothes. Clamp the club in a workmate or vice and use plenty of fluid and the grips will slide on easily.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
All good tips above.
My only slight change is to pour the white spirit into the grip and shake as mentioned above, then pour the white spirit back into the bottle. Then put the end of the shaft into the bottle and shake a little to make sure all the shaft is coated, less messy and no waste.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If using a rubber shaft clamp, when you put the club in have the clubhead vertical (toe up or down depending on where you want the grip logos), makes it much easier to align the grips so they're all the same.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All good tips above.
My only slight change is to pour the white spirit into the grip and shake as mentioned above, then pour the white spirit back into the bottle. Then put the end of the shaft into the bottle and shake a little to make sure all the shaft is coated, less messy and no waste.
Why have I never thought of that ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Slice old grips off.

As above, a bit of heat will help get the old tape off. If you don't have any heat, Stanley knife and fluid/white spirit to clean the residue.

Once clean and free of any fluid which will stop the new tape sticking, add your tape. If more than one layer, the lower layers stop level with the butt end of the shaft, the last layer needs to be about a cm longer so you can twist and fold it flat over the end of the shaft to keep water and dirt out (after you've removed the backing).

You don't need a massive amount of fluid/white spirit. Fill about 1/3 of the grip with your finger over the small hole, put another finger over the big hole and give it a good shake so there's plenty of fluid all over the inside. It's lack of lubrication at the inside opening that will cause issues sliding it on.

If you're not worried about saving the fluid, hold the shaft with the tape over a sink and pour the fluid evenly over the grip tape.

You need a small rag.

Vice, with rubber vice clamp makes it much easier, but if you don't have one just use a corner on the floor. Hold club shaft with one hand with clubhead held in a corner and slide grip on most of the way. All the air and excess fluid inside the grip will fly out of the top hole when you get the grip fully on so put your rag over it now, then finish sliding the grip fully on.

When sliding it on, support the shaft, don't just push it into the corner as it might break ?.

Turn club upside down, give it a little tap on the floor to make sure the end is fully on.

Best way to make sure it's on straight is to push it down from the top and give it a little stretch all the way down to get all the air and twists out, you won't stretch it, it will spring back (just double check by lining it up with other grips).

Remember, not all shaft butts are the same diameter. This is your small window to grip the club and see if the size is OK. If not, pull it straight off. If you're happy, finish lining it up to your preference, wipe off any excess fluid on the club and stand it to dry.

Rinse and repeat...

Thanks for the tips, the Lamkin grips I ordered are .580 and the shafts are .600 will one layer of tape be ok?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does air not need to escape out that hole?

Aye but the joy we got when seeing a new assistant covered on an explosion of paraffin was worth it. :love::cool:
I dread to think how many of those grips I put on from 1964 to 1969........ffffffffffffousands.
Seriously built up my wrist muscles by putting on the 'old' leather windups as well.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aye but the joy we got when seeing a new assistant covered on an explosion of paraffin was worth it. :love::cool:
I dread to think how many of those grips I put on from 1964 to 1969........ffffffffffffousands.
Seriously built up my wrist muscles by putting on the 'old' leather windups as well.

Paraffin.? You would have a lawyer on your hands these days. ?

Mike79

Visit site
As other have said, easy enough, especially with a Tour Velvet 360 which has no makings. Getting the tape on smooth is the biggest challenge (avoiding any wrinkles)

I fitted an Odyssey putter grip last week - used WD40 and grip tape. Worked fine. Took a while to be sure I’d lined it up right.

Today fitted a Tour Velvet 360 onto my gap wedge and used white spirit this time. Found it easier and cleaner. No alignment worries with the grip.

DCB

Visit site
Use a hooked blade on your stanley knife, less chance of a nasty accident that way. I also use a clean empty plastic milk bottle, with a section cut out to catch the solvent that drips off thee tape. Then just pour it back into the bottle of solvent.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well that didn’t go as planned ?

I got strips of tape with grips and when I tried the first strip it didn’t stick along the edges when it was round the grip, so I took the tape off which left all the sticky stuff which was a pain to get off.

Tried another one, edges did stick a bit better but not perfect so used white spirit on grip and tape, awkward to get the end of the grip onto club and only got it down about a inch?

Another pain taking it off and cleaning, wondered as grips are .580 diameter and shafts are .600 did that make it more awkward.

Friend has got some roll of tape so going to try that. I watched a lot of videos and it does look simple ? last one I watched was Danny Maude he done one at his kitchen table in a few minutes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that didn’t go as planned ?

I got strips of tape with grips and when I tried the first strip it didn’t stick along the edges when it was round the grip, so I took the tape off which left all the sticky stuff which was a pain to get off.

Tried another one, edges did stick a bit better but not perfect so used white spirit on grip and tape, awkward to get the end of the grip onto club and only got it down about a inch?

Another pain taking it off and cleaning, wondered as grips are .580 diameter and shafts are .600 did that make it more awkward.

Friend has got some roll of tape so going to try that. I watched a lot of videos and it does look simple ? last one I watched was Danny Maude he done one at his kitchen table in a few minutes.

I presume you mean it did not stick at the point furthest away from the butt.

2" wide tape is the right width at the butt end but as you move down the shaft taper it is too wide. At this end you have to lift up the side backing tape at the edge on the side that is stuck to the shaft first so that when the other side is rolled round the shaft it is not sticking to backing tape but to the exposed sticky bit of the double sided tape.

Do not try to put the grip on as soon as the solvent is on the tape as it takes a couple of minutes to 'melt' the glue and if possible try to do it somewhere cool so it does not dry too quickly.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Round the grip?

Do you mean round the butt of the shaft after you took the old grip off?

I took old grip and old tape off, I put the new tape length ways down the shaft just a little over the butt end as shown in videos, the tape is 9 and 1/4 inches long and the new grips are 10 and 1/4 inches.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I presume you mean it did not stick at the point furthest away from the butt.

2" wide tape is the right width at the butt end but as you move down the shaft taper it is too wide. At this end you have to lift up the side backing tape at the edge on the side that is stuck to the shaft first so that when the other side is rolled round the shaft it is not sticking to backing tape but to the exposed sticky bit of the double sided tape.

Do not try to put the grip on as soon as the solvent is on the tape as it takes a couple of minutes to 'melt' the glue and if possible try to do it somewhere cool so it does not dry too quickly.

No the tape is only 1 and 3/4 inches wide and does not meet anywhere down the shaft.