Please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really sure what advice anybody can give here!? Probably something for Jerry Springer to sort out. Or, join a different club that does different draws. Virtually all of our comps are either handicap order, or random. None of them allow members to pick who they play with, unless it is some infrequent Open type comp or team event.
I like that .
All our comps just allow you to play with your mates.
Maybe that’s part of a bigger issue.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I like that .

I find that really weird if im honest! Ive only ever played with random draws.

Obviously works at your club - and im not making any suggestions that people do cheat - but surely its way more open to it when playing with friends?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I’m not the one who appears to have accidentally posted on a golf forum rather then Mumsnet!

You really ain’t in no position to talk with a username and profile picture like something straight out of GayCupid.com

Why did you come back with the same user name? We could have pretended you were a different fella.

It’s not the same. It’s 2.0 now. Like petrol / electric hybrid version

as for the replies - fair. I don’t value him enough to part way with the queens head. He’s not in my close circle but someone that has been introduced by a mutual friend but we clicked in every way outside of golf, if that makes sense. I’m sure if the rest of our group played the comps more often then he would join with them but just so happens I play more than anyone and it’s mainly with a different circle. And that circle have been playing together at the club for over 10 years and they have accepted me. Mr 37 handicapper isn’t quite there yet mainly because of his ability. But like anyone has the potential.

Swango1980

Visit site
I like that .
I hate that. Even assuming (hopefully) there are no blatant cheats, you will get groups of friends who are surprisingly ignorant on the most basic of rules. And, as they only ever play with each other, they may do things "their way" for years without anyone educating them on their mistake. Also, if your mates are not playing one week, it might feel uncomfortable barging in on other people's group. Or, if you joined the club on your own, and had no mates at the club, can feel awkward joining other groups.

At my club, stick your name down and you know you'll be sorted. Get to play with loads of different people.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find that really weird if im honest! Ive only ever played with random draws.

Obviously works at your club - and im not making any suggestions that people do cheat - but surely its way more open to it when playing with friends?
Yes I agree, seen it with my own eyes.
We are stuck in the past a bit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ahhh and thats a shame! No one wants to witness that!!
Standing right beside me he trod down the grass behind his ball before addressing it.
I said “ you do know your not allowed to do that”
He said “ are you sure we always do it”
So cheating or just ignorance ?
But this guy has been winning things over the years.
Makes me wonder what others are doing.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Standing right beside me he trod down the grass behind his ball before addressing it.
I said “ you do know your not allowed to do that”
He said “ are you sure we always do it”
So cheating or just ignorance ?
But this guy has been winning things over the years.
Makes me wonder what others are doing.

Ignorance the first time, cheating when the response is "are you sure we always do it"

Anyone who really didnt know the rule, to me, would then ask for what the correct procedure from there is!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve had 4 friends join my club within the last two months. 3 of them no issues, all had lessons and all at a fairly good standard to play the comps with. The other has just put 9 cards in with very little experience and got a handicap of 37 which he can now enter comps with. Well done to him. He’s keen.

Unfortunately said mate now likes to follow me around and join the weekend stableford/medals I’m playing in which consist of various other members I’ve met at the club which I’ve made great PP’s with.

Now, without sounding harsh, my heart sinks when I see his name join our group. And this is not a group that consists of my friends that have recently joined. He’s got great potential if he just went a saw a professional. I’ve dropped the hint numerous times but I think he’s restricted due to his income / budget.

I don’t mind playing social rounds with him as he is a good lad, but when it comes to the competitions he can really get on my tits and disrupt the rhythm that myself and others like to be in.

The only way I think I can get around this issue for my own sanity is to wait until 3 members have booked the allocated time slot with me jumping on that 4th spot so we are locked in. But that involves checking the booking system daily and also runs the risk of one of the other members dropping out freeing up that final slot for him to no doubt jump on.

The last thing I want to do is discourage him in any sense as I’ve got all the time for him in the world outside of these comps. I understand everyone has to start somewhere but I would have never of done it the way he’s done it. He’s not a slow player but there’s a hell of a lot of baggage with it.

Rant over. Please advise.

My advice is that you are a golfing snob. ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So easy for us to tell you what we'd do. Always easy to give advice rather than take it.

It's difficult to tell him, but if you don't you're the one having the make the sacrifice. Being honest isn't always the easiest option.

Swango1980

Visit site
Could just ditch him ad a friend completely. OK, he might be a decent lad off the golf course. However, I'm sure you can find another decent lad to replace him as a friend, and they may also be a better golfer.

So many options. Do like a good old brainstorming session.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could just ditch him ad a friend completely. OK, he might be a decent lad off the golf course. However, I'm sure you can find another decent lad to replace him as a friend, and they may also be a better golfer.

So many options. Do like a good old brainstorming session.

g1z1 is looking for playing partners …..

Status
Not open for further replies.