Re- Gripping

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Both edges of the lengths of the tape never stuck when I put the tape round the shaft, there was a gap between the tape when it was round the shaft

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats too short , you might need to a bit from another strip just to take it down where the two white circles are.
I always buy a roll of tape so I can cut the length I want.

One side should be stickey and the other have backing paper, which you peel off once the stickey layer has stuck.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shocking strip of tape, way too short.
If it's not sticking to the shaft, clean the shaft with warm soapy water, rinse and dry.

Anyway, get the bottom of the tape level with where the black meets the red so there's an extra bit at the top you can twist and flatten. Then cut another bit of tape from another strip and put it around the shaft directly under the black/red joining so it reaches the bottom of where the grip will be... Let us know when you're there...

Thanks for your help, I did think the strips were to short as I watched one video that said to do the same as you and Spongebob recommended.

I’m going to discard those strips and use a roll that my mates going to give me.

I’ll give them another go tomorrow ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shocking strip of tape, way too short.
If it's not sticking to the shaft, clean the shaft with warm soapy water, rinse and dry.

Anyway, get the bottom of the tape level with where the black meets the red so there's an extra bit at the top you can twist and flatten. Then cut another bit of tape from another strip and put it around the shaft directly under the black/red joining so it reaches the bottom of where the grip will be... Let us know when you're there...

Just had a closer look at the tape all along one edge of the length there is no sticky substance, as it was only 1and 3/4 inches wide it was never going to stick.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Did you pour sol
Thanks for your help, I did think the strips were to short as I watched one video that said to do the same as you and Spongebob recommended.

I’m going to discard those strips and use a roll that my mates going to give me.

I’ll give them another go tomorrow ?
Tape approx 1inch thick is ideal, wind it in a spiral with no overlaps from the bottom of the grip to the top and leave a bit extra to fold over the top. That is to stop moisture getting inside the shaft through the hole in the top of the grip which can cause rust inside.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are using single strips I precut mine to 10.2". The surplus gets folded into the inside of the butt.

Saw a good tip. If you have a vice but not a shaft grip take one of the old grips and cut a section to about 3" wrap this around the head hosel and grip this section in a normal vice.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are using single strips I precut mine to 10.2". The surplus gets folded into the inside of the butt.

Saw a good tip. If you have a vice but not a shaft grip take one of the old grips and cut a section to about 3" wrap this around the head hosel and grip this section in a normal vice.

I put a thick bit of polystyrene each side of the vice

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone checked their grip size requirements on a golfmechanix grip checker board? If so, what’s your opinion on it?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I feel sorry for Rlburnside, they've had so much advice there head must be spinning!

And as others have said, whoever provided those tape strips needs to be tarred and feathered.

I’ve found the advice I got from here to be very clear and helpful ? it was only because the tape was incorrect I had problems.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use an old washing up bottle to pour the solvent in to the grip and a paint tray to catch the solvent.

Use the grip as the method of pouring out the solvent. Keep a finger or thumb over the hole in the grip and fill to the top hold just above the shaft and take your finger off the hole and it will pour out more slowly so you can run it up and down the tape. I always do this twice to ensure plenty of solvent on the grip and the time for the glue to melt.

When pushing on the grip stand to one side and not behind as the solvent will spurt out of the hole.

Have rag to hand to wipe off any solvent that gets where you do not want it this can also be useful if solvent gets on you hands and makes then to slippy to grip.

With some grips I stand the open end in hot water to soften them before putting e.g Winn style grips.

Thanks for the tips I put all the grips on the radiator to soften them a bit. ?