Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
why should we support the strikers because they want more money and are more than happy to disrupt people's lives

Working class people attacking other working class people rather than seeing the actual situation . Direct the anger at the DFT for not sorting out the situation by now.

But no. Let's blame the workers

Such a shame, people moan about "great Britain" not being "great" anymore. But supporting each other to get the best for each other used to be the way.

Enjoy the race to the bottom. You seem very happy

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Working class people attacking other working class people rather than seeing the actual situation . Direct the anger at the DFT for not sorting out the situation by now.

Such a shame, people moan about "great Britain" not being "great" anymore. But supporting each other to get the best for each other used to be the way.

not prepared to answer the question - you'd make a good politician

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't the strike cancelled now anyway?

That's the lul strike, network rail is a different strike, completely different branch of the union

There was talk the Lul one was only called to tie in with network rail but they got what they wanted and called it off

Sometimes it's not even needed just the talk of it will smooth over issues

But the DFT have been instructed to let it run

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hardly a race to the bottom - train drivers pay is quite high up the scale, certainly above average for the UK workforce

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hardly a race to the bottom - train drivers pay is quite high up the scale, certainly above average for the UK workforce

That's the point tho, we accept everyone else getting rubbish and try and moan when someone gets a good deal

Tbh train ops yes well paid but only by what the rest of society should be on (for example my paydeals have been inflation linked, so yes good but just risen as everyone should!)

The forces is the worst. Treated like dogs bodies and not even rewarded with a decent pay deal.

Good to see the drs finally agree a deal

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe it’s an optics thing?
Trains always late or don’t turn up at all, train fares sky rocketing. Then the drivers want a huge payrise, no wonder they don’t have the full support of the general public 🤷🏻‍♂️

To be fair just have to follow the money, the TOCs are private companies and all their profits go out of the network to share holders whilst services get cut

Public transport shouldn't be run for profit should be run for the public

But I can't say much more. I will get political

PaulMdj

Visit site
Trains always late or don’t turn up at all, train fares sky rocketing. Then the drivers want a huge payrise, no wonder they don’t have the full support of the general public 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doesn’t that back up his point though? Service has been run to the dogs, lack of investment and massive pay outs to shareholders, but let’s get annoyed at the working man when he fights for better.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t that back up his point though? Service has been run to the dogs, lack of investment and massive pay outs to shareholders, but let’s get annoyed at the working man when he fights for better.

I don’t know and I imagine the majority of the general public don’t know either, they just want the trains to turn up on time and be at a reasonable cost. My point was the common or garden person doesn’t care about business models or who owns this and that they just want an effective, reliable and cheap transport system.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t know and I imagine the majority of the general public don’t know either, they just want the trains to turn up on time and be at a reasonable cost. My point was the common or garden person doesn’t care about business models or who owns this and that they just want an effective, reliable and cheap transport system.

Mick lynch actually got a lot of the mood of the public and support during the rmts action last year

He was just honest with people. No bull

Only problem is it's been so long now it just gets lost

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I found the strikes on tfl were originally supported more than I've seen in ages because it was about pensions. It seemed to get people's attention because a lot of people believe that pensions shouldn't just be adjusted to save money when they have been agreed.

Especially when the fund was so well funded and in profit it was meaningless changing them

Only issue is for all the good press you get tones more gets drip fed by the media to drum up hatred and disharmony

PaulMdj

Visit site
True, but the times, prices and investments are not set by the drivers!

Red devil

Visit site
Drivers don't want a huge payrise, in fact they've never requested a figure. PM me I'll explain.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To be fair just have to follow the money, the TOCs are private companies and all their profits go out of the network to share holders whilst services get cut

Public transport shouldn't be run for profit should be run for the public

But I can't say much more. I will get political

I’m sure there’d be a public outcry if there was a major incident and there was no guard on a train. There might be pay as part of the issue but it’s often been said that driver only trains is a large part of the argument.

As for the argument between public ‘v’ private ownership, Renfe the Spanish rail operator was sold by the Spanish govt. Big piece in the local English paper recently that fares have dropped by 40% since the sale. It very much depends on how powerful the regulatory body is and the criteria in the licence for inward investment BEFORE paying out dividends.