Random Irritations

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Watching, and experiencing, one of my favourite little restaurants losing its way. Its only a small place, 16 places inside and about the same outside. Owner run, with one person waiting on, supported by the owner, and one person in the kitchen. The waiting on person, who was amazing, left at the beginning of November. Replaced but 2 months in the ‘new person’ could be mistaken for still being in the first week.

Cookie left last week, although had been shadowed for a few weeks by cookie 2.0.

We’re usually in a couple of times a week. Sometimes it’s a sandwich lunch, sometimes something more. Sometimes coffee and cake late afternoon. Today is market day, full breakfast day, hence a bit busy but nothing we haven’t experienced before. Mrs Hobbit had her usual eggs Benedict with bacon. Poached eggs weren’t good, and very little hollandaise sauce. And it arrived 15mins after my full English. Mine was fine apart from when I flipped a piece of toast over the underside was black. A 40min wait for poor food.

The owner and her partner are good friends, often coming round for a meal and drinks. Do we tell them? She did ask, and saw from the look on our face things weren’t good. Yes we passed on our comments, and she took them well. From our perspective we’ll give it a few more visits - no problem with coffee and cake - but with an equally good place just over the road I do fear for their future…

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watching, and experiencing, one of my favourite little restaurants losing its way. Its only a small place, 16 places inside and about the same outside. Owner run, with one person waiting on, supported by the owner, and one person in the kitchen. The waiting on person, who was amazing, left at the beginning of November. Replaced but 2 months in the ‘new person’ could be mistaken for still being in the first week.

Cookie left last week, although had been shadowed for a few weeks by cookie 2.0.

We’re usually in a couple of times a week. Sometimes it’s a sandwich lunch, sometimes something more. Sometimes coffee and cake late afternoon. Today is market day, full breakfast day, hence a bit busy but nothing we haven’t experienced before. Mrs Hobbit had her usual eggs Benedict with bacon. Poached eggs weren’t good, and very little hollandaise sauce. And it arrived 15mins after my full English. Mine was fine apart from when I flipped a piece of toast over the underside was black. A 40min wait for poor food.

The owner and her partner are good friends, often coming round for a meal and drinks. Do we tell them? She did ask, and saw from the look on our face things weren’t good. Yes we passed on our comments, and she took them well. From our perspective we’ll give it a few more visits - no problem with coffee and cake - but with an equally good place just over the road I do fear for their future…
Intrigued as to where. In Turre?

(Ps. Coming out for three weeks as of 4th March in case you're interested in meeting again?).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand what you are saying about the reasons the ban came about.
But the song is not misogynistic, it is a song about a murderer, who may or may not be a misogynist. He's about to get his comeuppance at the end of the song.
We should be credited with enough sense to understand that the song is a shocking and disturbing statement.
Disturbing - Yes.
Offensive - No.

Cue Olivia Newton John singing,

“I held a knife against his breast,
As into my arms he pressed,
He cried, my love, don't you murder me,
I'm not prepared for eternity.”

And the continuing lyrics say that the murder has taken place.

Number 6 in the UK charts and number 1 in Australia. From an old song written in the 19th century.
Another shocking and disturbing piece. But it is not offensive or needing to be banned.
Aye and some would say we should stop singing the popular song know by all that has the verse…🤣

“Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush."

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Of course, constructive critical feedback from well valued customers should be priceless to a small business and if they take it in the wrong fashion then sadly there is little hope for their business

Slightly worried our local pub may be headed in a similar direction, sadly in our case there isnt another over the road

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Intrigued as to where. In Turre?

(Ps. Coming out for three weeks as of 4th March in case you're interested in meeting again?).

Yes in Turre.

Yes to a catch up, and if the back holds up a game of golf. However, we’re flying back on the 26th Feb for….not sure how long but we have to be back in Turre by the 23rd March.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Aye and some would say we should stop singing the popular song know by all that has the verse…🤣

“Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush."

But that’s my favourite bit! Always bellow it extra loud. 😆😆

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our daughter was at a gymnastics competition tonight in the middle of nowhere. Competition finished 80 mins late meaning we’d missed our reservation for a meal out with friends. We were all starving. Only place in the locale was Burger King. 3 meals and some chilli bite things came to £35 (when did the prices go mad for glorified microwave crap - our local curry house order is about the same price), but needs must. I was driving so my wife was feeding me my chips. 5 mins down the road we pulled onto A-road. At that point my wife passed me my drink for a glug and I nearly threw up, it was just carbonated water. Bork. 5 minutes later, my wife had finished her chips and when getting her burger noticed there was only 2 in the bag. Of course, it was mine that was missing. Ha I was not happy. Had a little internal paddy whilst them two took the Mickey and told me how nice their burger was. Least the comp went ok!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our daughter was at a gymnastics competition tonight in the middle of nowhere. Competition finished 80 mins late meaning we’d missed our reservation for a meal out with friends. We were all starving. Only place in the locale was Burger King. 3 meals and some chilli bite things came to £35 (when did the prices go mad for glorified microwave crap - our local curry house order is about the same price), but needs must. I was driving so my wife was feeding me my chips. 5 mins down the road we pulled onto A-road. At that point my wife passed me my drink for a glug and I nearly threw up, it was just carbonated water. Bork. 5 minutes later, my wife had finished her chips and when getting her burger noticed there was only 2 in the bag. Of course, it was mine that was missing. Ha I was not happy. Had a little internal paddy whilst them two took the Mickey and told me how nice their burger was. Least the comp went ok!
Some days it never rains but pours

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Happy Valley but the BBCs coverage on Breakfast of the last episode is way over the top...also plenty of spoilers in the clips they keep showing!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Happy Valley but the BBCs coverage on Breakfast of the last episode is way over the top...also plenty of spoilers in the clips they keep showing!
They did the same with Fleabag and Line of Duty. They are hyping their own programmes across all platforms in a manner that suggests the whole nation will be watching, they wont 🤷‍♂️. I guess we will have the same tomorrow, fall out Monday, forgotten about Tuesday 😄.