Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got one of those annoying tickly coughs that reappears out of nowhere when you're trying to sleep or eating a sandwich and won't shift for 20 minutes. Infuriating!

D-S

Visit site
Just tried phoning British Gas. Estimated wait time of 3 hours and 9 minutes, I'll be hanging up then.
Probably saying that they are experiencing an unusually high number of calls, which would be understandable if they hadn’t been saying this for the past 3 years. When does ’unusual‘ become the norm? Why not just admit that you are long term understaffed/under resourced?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably saying that they are experiencing an unusually high number of calls, which would be understandable if they hadn’t been saying this for the past 3 years. When does ’unusual‘ become the norm? Why not just admit that you are long term understaffed/under resourced?

maybe theyre short (or even shorter) of staff today because of rail strikes?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
maybe theyre short (or even shorter) of staff today because of rail strikes?
So many work from home now doing call centre work that that excuse doesn't stack up any more.

EDF were supposed to fit a smart meter for us at work last week. The fitter didn't turn up at the time stated, between 12-4pm. We received a letter from EDF on Monday stating that they could not fit the meter as the fitter could not enter our premises :mad:. No, because they were late and we had gone home. Tried to ring, 2 x 45 minutes on hold, gave up. Online chat, never available. No email address available. We will be raising a compliant, see if that gets a line of communication going.

sunshine

Visit site
Re the teeth brushing one, three words… Posture, Grip & Alignment. I’ve been working on improving my own technique recently but admit I haven’t been to a Pro for a lesson

My grip itself is fine but I found I was holding onto too much tension in my arm, so I’m working hard to reduce and eliminate that
My postures pretty good, you don’t want too wide a stance so its worth checking your sink unit is at the correct height for you (consider getting a fitted unit)
I find with a decent backstroke the follow through should feel natural and effortless (a bit like sawing wood, its all in the backstroke)

I’ll assume you already have the right brush for you (modern ones really are a big leap forward in R&D so don’t be tempted to hang onto outdated kit) You can often pick up nearly new modern kit off Gumtree if you want to go down the 2nd hand route
Whatever you do don’t be tempted to watch hours of YouTube vids for tips (these took hours to film and edit and are not representative of how they do it off-screen)

Good luck (y)

;)

Lessons help but you really need to get fitted for the right brush

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Could be a long 'un. Had vaccines booked in this afternoon/evening. Had picked up that on route some issues as millions of gallons of water leaking (yup hosepipe ban still on). Checked Ms. Google maps, 16 min delay. Managed to head out 25 mins earlier. As approached, it had gone up to +28 delay ?. Then weird, I was already in right of 2 lanes as that was lane needed at end. Signs showing left lane to close. Nose to bumber stop-start traffic in both lanes. So you'd expect with "one by one merge" an even pace, but no for some reason in about 1000 yards over 100 cars moved ahead. Delay doubled. Anyway finally arrive to predictably find can't now be jabbed (as staff need to go home).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No sooner had I got over one injury and got a good 90 minutes under my belt on Sunday, my hip starts hurting at training last night. By this morning I can barely walk. I don't even know what happened. My body is just giving up on me.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Update on my British Gas issue this morning.

Today I was prepared and was ready with the phone at 8:58, managed to get straight through to someone.

Will update later with the irritation of actually having to speak to them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No sooner had I got over one injury and got a good 90 minutes under my belt on Sunday, my hip starts hurting at training last night. By this morning I can barely walk. I don't even know what happened. My body is just giving up on me.
Could be time to move to 5 a side instead of 11 a side, 90 minutes? This is a battle you are unlikely to win so work with your limitations. It's a beggar but it's reality.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and my wife has decided that my choice of clothes are not acceptable and it is all my fault for leaving it this late. I'm not late, I'm happy with my choice (no suit, no tie, smart casual (y)). It's a frosty day and it's only just begun :oops:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and my wife has decided that my choice of clothes are not acceptable and it is all my fault for leaving it this late. I'm not late, I'm happy with my choice (no suit, no tie, smart casual (y)). It's a frosty day and it's only just begun :oops:
You won't win, accept the inevitable and get some shopping done :cool:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be time to move to 5 a side instead of 11 a side, 90 minutes? This is a battle you are unlikely to win so work with your limitations. It's a beggar but it's reality.
Retirement certainly beckons, particularly with the baby coming along next year as well. I'll hope to keep one small game a week going. Clearly not going to last long at the current rate of 2 or 3 games a week anyway. Years ago I had physio and an MRI, and he warned me I had something called osteitis pubis, which basically means your pelvis is rubbish and will result in frequent injuries to the upper legs. He was not wrong. I think by this time next year I might be a strictly golf and badminton man.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Retirement certainly beckons, particularly with the baby coming along next year as well. I'll hope to keep one small game a week going. Clearly not going to last long at the current rate of 2 or 3 games a week anyway. Years ago I had physio and an MRI, and he warned me I had something called osteitis pubis, which basically means your pelvis is rubbish and will result in frequent injuries to the upper legs. He was not wrong. I think by this time next year I might be a strictly golf and badminton man.

Gets us all in the end. All I will say is, make a decision to retire, if you can avoid it do not go out on an injury. I stopped playing rugby 10 years ago when I had an injury that meant I needed to stop playing or have my shoulder fully reconstructed. I still have that niggle that injury stopped me played and that I have one more game in me as I did not leave on my own terms. Hear that from a lot of people at my age, those that decided to quit and managed to celebrate at the end of a pre arranged last game found it easier than those who were injured into retirement and never felt they put a full stop at the end of their playing days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You won't win, accept the inevitable and get some shopping done :cool:
A suit and shirt that I won't wear again for x number of years. That will go in the back of a cupboard gathering dust and inevitably wont fit me by the time the next wedding comes along :rolleyes:. Aarrggghhhhhhhhh.

(I know you are right though :LOL:)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you thought about trying walking football? Don't know your age but down my way there's an over 50's walking football league.