Random Irritations

Carlwm

Visit site
No. Wales is part of the U.K. The language of the U.K is English.
Road signs , being instructions/advice re the Law need to be in the authorised language.
Having them also in Welsh is an indulgence, a waste of time and money.
How many people who speak Welsh do not speak English?
Does anyone here know someone who speaks and reads Welsh but not English?

Exactly!

(

The official language of Wales is Welshre are still plenty of people
I think my grandmother might have known a few - but that was over a hundred years ago.

This exchange of views has been interesting. I don't think anyone has been "wrong" to hold the view that they hold with regard to road signs in Wales being in Welsh as well as English.

There will always be an issue for those who view Wales, the Welsh and their language as something of "the other" people.

The Welsh language is part of English heritage. Around the time of the Roman invasion the language in England would have been similar to Welsh. Versions of this language persisted in places like Cornwall and Cumbria for some more centuries, but remains alive and well in Wales. It is an ancient language of England and should be embraced and celebrated by English people as part of the history and heritage of England.
What language did Boudicca speak? I think a modern-day Welsh speaker might be able to have some sort of conversation with her, but English would be an incomprehensible foreign language to that celebrated English heroine.

I'm happy for the Welsh to have their language and their road signs. "Others" are entitled to their view as well.

Da iawn!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Weather forecasts.

Checked the weather app on my phone as I want to play golf tonight and it was showing sunshine so I booked for 6pm.

While making a coffee the weather flashed up on my alexa and it’s saying I need to build an arc!
I did see an old bloke walking down the road with a trolley full of planks and nails earlier on...was being followed by lots of animals..:unsure:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The official language of Wales is Welshre are still plenty of people

Da iawn!

I recently had a great holiday in North Wales and when we stopped at Harlech a load of teenage school kids got on the train and I enjoyed listening to them speaking their native language, the only English word I heard from some of the boys was (Mod Edit) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently had a great holiday in North Wales and when we stopped at Harlech a load of teenage school kids got on the train and I enjoyed listening to them speaking their native language, the only English word I heard from some of the boys was (Mod Edit) ?
I briefly worked for Caernarfon council parks maintenance team - in our small team, me & another person spoke only English, three spoke only Welsh, and the rest were bilingual - who mostly used welsh as a first language. The monolingual guys generally came from the Llyn peninsula. Also my girlfriend at the time was Welsh - she and her immediate family were bilingual who spoke Welsh at home - but she had relatives (on Angelsey) who spoke only Welsh. Admittedly it was quite a long time ago and I imagine things have moved on. I believe, theoretically at least, there are now no people who are monolingual Welsh, but more who are bilingual, and also more who have it as a first language.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I briefly worked for Caernarfon council parks maintenance team - in our small team, me & another person spoke only English, three spoke only Welsh, and the rest were bilingual - who mostly used welsh as a first language. The monolingual guys generally came from the Llyn peninsula. Also my girlfriend at the time was Welsh - she and her immediate family were bilingual who spoke Welsh at home - but she had relatives (on Angelsey) who spoke only Welsh. Admittedly it was quite a long time ago and I imagine things have moved on. I believe, theoretically at least, there are now no people who are monolingual Welsh, but more who are bilingual, and also more who have it as a first language.

Interesting, do you know if the Welsh have a word for the F word cos I got a infraction for using the English version?I thought it might have been ok in that context

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting, do you know if the Welsh have a word for the F word cos I got a infraction for using the English version?I thought it might have been ok in that context
I recently saw a TV drama set in Wales, and some of the dialogue was in Welsh with subtitles. There were several times where an English word was used inside a Welsh sentence, and I'm pretty sure that the word you're referring to was one of them. So my guess is that there is no equivalent in Welsh.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above. Like a lot of languages, there's frequent use of English words when there's no lingual equivalent. Even when I was there, the English F word was in use - although like in English, not as commonly as it's used now.

Carlwm

Visit site

With the exception of South Pembrokeshire ("little England beyond Wales") the further west you go in Wales, the chances are the only people you'll hear speaking English are incomers or tourists. Like you, I always find it a pleasure to hear.

The Welsh spoken in the North is quite different to that spoken in the South, to the point where it's practically a different language. It goes way beyond being merely a different dialect.

Carlwm

Visit site

I know a lot of people from the south-west, including family members whose English is poor enough that they struggle to read and converse in it. They don't use it much because Welsh is 100% the main language in their part of the country.

Carlwm

Visit site

Apart from the odd Biblical exclamation - Iesu Grist; Duw, Duw etc- there are no Welsh swear words, weirdly enough. Thereare expressions like "cachu hwch" which translates as "pig's poo" and is used in the same way as the English use "pear shaped", but for proper swearing, we borrow from you lot. :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The introduction of surge pricing for tickets. It started quietly in music gigs but is spreading and it looks like it will be used for tickets for the British Grand Prix as well. As if these events do not do enough to extract money out of us, to now say that an algorythm will reassess prices every 90 seconds and increase them if there is higher demand is taking it too far. How long before this spreads to the wider sporting arena.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Many years' ago I worked as an Assistant InSpector for a major Bank and The Inspector was really full of his own importance. When we went to North Wales we were far more lenient with rules than in Manchester or Liverpool.

we visited a branch in Llangefni on Anglesey. The staff spoke in Welsh and you could hear then speaking then " Inspector" was mentioned. Then they would repeat I take it there may not be a corresponding word.

The boss was was livid as he knew they were talking about him and I found it amusing.