Random Irritations

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Parents who don’t set up a child’s bike properly, their knees hitting their chin as they pedal...
Not just kids .
I find most women and some men (but it is mainly women don’t know why )are like this .Saddle is far to low.
I did try and explain to a few but I gave up because of the bad language.
Not mine I hasten to add.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It drives me nuts. You choose to ride one of the most efficient means of transport ever invented, and then make it less efficient by having the saddle stupidly low.

Just how high should a saddle be?
I've never been told or shown, I have no idea whether mine's in the correct position or not.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've never been told or shown, I have no idea whether mine's in the correct position or not.

Roughly high enough that at the bottom of the downstroke, ball of your foot on the middle of the pedal, your knee is just about not straight. This is a good start. There is a more technical answer, but this is a start.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Advice I got was to be on toes when seated, or in other words almost straight leg when pedal at lowest. Apparently parents want to set up so feet are flat on the ground when seated but this hinders pedalling.

I set my kids bike up like this before teaching him how to ride. Hopefully teaching good habits from the start.

It didn’t affect him much, no issues falling off or getting going.

I just saw a kid his age on a bike the right size but wrong setup! it was really cringy to watch the poor kid try to cycle.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Advice I got was to be on toes when seated, or in other words almost straight leg when pedal at lowest. Apparently parents want to set up so feet are flat on the ground when seated but this hinders pedalling.

I set my kids bike up like this before teaching him how to ride. Hopefully teaching good habits from the start.

It didn’t affect him much, no issues falling off or getting going.

I just saw a kid his age on a bike the right size but wrong setup! it was really cringy to watch the poor kid try to cycle.

And they rarely keep the tyres pumped up hard enough...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And they rarely keep the tyres pumped up hard enough...

As an aside to that, I was on a cycling holiday in Italy, and we stayed in Padua. Lovely city. It really bugged me that every bike I saw had really deflated tyres. All of them. I thought how flipping lazy are Italians.
Then it struck me how much easier they were to ride over the cobbled streets. They weren't so stupid.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an aside to that, I was on a cycling holiday in Italy, and we stayed in Padua. Lovely city. It really bugged me that every bike I saw had really deflated tyres. All of them. I thought how flipping lazy are Italians.
Then it struck me how much easier they were to ride over the cobbled streets. They weren't so stupid.

For sure a fine line between comfort and speed! Some of our roads around here are pretty rough so I tend not to fully inflate as when I do I feel my teeth are being rattled out!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A load of people having an organised (bibs on) game of footie on a footie pitch this morning. Could have been 11 a side didn't count them.
How? Why?