Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Raining every single day this week up to and including Saturday according to the forecast. So our course will be ruined, not even sure it'll be open. This is the wettest winter I can remember in my lifetime, it's ridiculous.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Raining every single day this week up to and including Saturday according to the forecast. So our course will be ruined,
Climate change will take its toll on golf. Even more courses will be in financial trouble and close. Councils will gobble them up for housing. At the current rate there will be no greenspace left in 50 years.
So what can we do? Nothing.
I might as well buy a 4x4, start taking flights again, eat more meat.
Then there is the prospect of a global pandemic which could kill millions. The human infestation of the planet is to blame.
Technology will not solve this.
When I was born the world's population was 4 billion. Now it's 7 billion.
It will be too dangerous to eat animals so human burgers could be on the menu.
At the end of the day we are all cannibals.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Climate change will take its toll on golf. Even more courses will be in financial trouble and close. Councils will gobble them up for housing. At the current rate there will be no greenspace left in 50 years.
So what can we do? Nothing.
I might as well buy a 4x4, start taking flights again, eat more meat.
Then there is the prospect of a global pandemic which could kill millions. The human infestation of the planet is to blame.
Technology will not solve this.
When I was born the world's population was 4 billion. Now it's 7 billion.
It will be too dangerous to eat animals so human burgers could be on the menu.
At the end of the day we are all cannibals.
That's a pretty hot take on a bit of rain.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Where's the snow? It seems increasingly unlikely that we'll see much in the future, so what's going on?
Moscow is experiencing its mildest winter so the cold air from Siberia is not reaching here. Our rain is not turning to snow.
If you think global warming will not be too serious, then think again.
It is far, far more serious than you can imagine and governments around the world whose interest is to grow economies are totally impotent to do anything.
Well, other than arrest the protestors.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where's the snow? It seems increasingly unlikely that we'll see much in the future, so what's going on?
Moscow is experiencing its mildest winter so the cold air from Siberia is not reaching here. Our rain is not turning to snow.
If you think global warming will not be too serious, then think again.
It is far, far more serious than you can imagine and governments around the world whose interest is to grow economies are totally impotent to do anything.
Well, other than arrest the protestors.
There is an irony that you have posted this today when Co Durham and Northumberland have both had decent snowfalls. I believe parts of Scotland will have had good chunks as well.

We have never had snow every winter. We had snow last year and the year before, maybe this year we will get off lightly.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Job hunting and the lack of them around here. Find a job to apply for online last night. Have updated my CV and it's not damn well there on the site now. Emailed the Company direct in a hope they will look at it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is an irony that you have posted this today when Co Durham and Northumberland have both had decent snowfalls. I believe parts of Scotland will have had good chunks as well.
We have never had snow every winter. We had snow last year and the year before, maybe this year we will get off lightly.
Used to get snow upon snow which laid on ground for weeks. If we get any now it's likely to melt in a few days.
Scotland for skiing? Wouldn't bank on it anymore.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51279607

Arctic permafrost melting and releasing carbon dioxide and methane.
Just a blip? I don't think so.
Back in the 1980's they were talking in terms of a new ice age.
But given 10,000 years the climate could reset itself.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Used to get snow upon snow which laid on ground for weeks. If we get any now it's likely to melt in a few days.
Scotland for skiing? Wouldn't bank on it anymore.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51279607

Arctic permafrost melting and releasing carbon dioxide and methane.
Just a blip? I don't think so.
Back in the 1980's they were talking in terms of a new ice age.
But given 10,000 years the climate could reset itself.

when are you talking about?? not denying Climate Change, but i remember my old school having two back to back sking trips to Aviemore in the mid 70 when there was no snow, so we went to French Alps the year after...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
when are you talking about?? not denying Climate Change, but i remember my old school having two back to back sking trips to Aviemore in the mid 70 when there was no snow, so we went to French Alps the year after...
Last Christmas I was chatting to my 80 year old auntie. Every winter had deep snow, every summer was glorious. She apparently went to anglesey summer after summer as a child "it never rained, ever". I did anglesey 11 summers on the trot as a kid, I wasn't going to let that one go ??☔. Memory gets more and more selective with age ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's not very well thought out by your school.
You must have used the dry slope.

How where they supposed to know there would be no Snow when they booked a school trip months in advance??

we did, but you could have stayed in Herfordshire and gone and used the dry slope in Hemel rather than spend what a parents did on sending 50 boys to avimore for no snow. what would you do now though the dry slope is long gone?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Last Christmas I was chatting to my 80 year old auntie. Every winter had deep snow, every summer was glorious. She apparently went to anglesey summer after summer as a child "it never rained, ever". I did anglesey 11 summers on the trot as a kid, I wasn't going to let that one go ??☔. Memory gets more and more selective with age ?
only been there once, an old girlfriends parents had a house there, it was nice, took my roadbike and just cycled around the island and into Snowdonia... did a lot of riding that week;)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Using one day of snow to try and counter climate change isn’t unusual but it’s still utter nonsense.