Quick ball comparison, just to silence my own mind :)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played nine holes today on my own on an empty course, so I tested a Wilson dx3, a TM Burner Tour TP, and a Srixon ZStar. Balls were all as new, and ones that I have had success with on previous occasions. Basically I played a one person Texas scramble with the three balls.

Whilst I could feel/hear a difference in some of the strikes from each ball, there is no way I could say one ball was longer, more spinning or even simply "better". On different holes I saw a difference in driving distance of 20 yards between similar strikes (never the same ball either). On par 3's I saw some shots hit and stop and some roll on (again different balls).

In conclusion I must be a crap ball striker as on different holes the balls behaved very differently and if it was a blind test there was no way I would of been able to tell one ball directly from another and choose the best. So I'll happily go back to playing my ZStar or 330 balls, basically because they were cheap when I bought them, they don't feel like a Callaway stone, and they have durability that others don't.

But I've got some sleeves of dx3, and dozens of fairly good balls like the penta, burner TP etc that can be used until the rock hard greens become too much for them. At that point I'll try the same test again and see if it makes difference to the little demons in my head telling me to use premium balls in qualifiers :)

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only time I broke par (-1) I was using a bridgestone e6 which would be seen as a cheap version compared to my usual Zstar.
So I guess on a day where things go right you'll do well with any ball

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time I broke par (-1) I was using a bridgestone e6 which would be seen as a cheap version compared to my usual Zstar.
So I guess on a day where things go right you'll do well with any ball

The E6 is my fave ball ever and soooo cheap! You can get 12 brand new for £11.99 at the moment! Fill yer boots!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Direct Golf are now doing ball fitting as well got an email saying that today, bet you end up with the most expensive ball in the shop.Wouldn't let any of they numpties fit me thats for sure

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Direct Golf are now doing ball fitting as well got an email saying that today, bet you end up with the most expensive ball in the shop.Wouldn't let any of they numpties fit me thats for sure

I laugh at the Titleist "fitting" always tells me I "need" Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x (regardless of how I change my answers) and I can't even use the damn things.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I laugh at the Titleist "fitting" always tells me I "need" Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x (regardless of how I change my answers) and I can't even use the damn things.

I'm the same always get ProV1x, have a personal preference for Cally Hex Chrome just now over the B330rx, like some i don't find them like rocks.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It will probably be free as long as you buy three boxes of Pro 1Vs! :)

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must admit I struggle to find much difference between the balls I buy in the mid range upwards.

During the winter I did use some Top Flights and they felt like lumps of iron though

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have been trying the Wilson Staff Dx2 and DX3 recently. I have found them to be very good balls. Although the DX2 is a 2 piece ball I think I prefer it, good distance from the driver but with a great feel around the green.