Golf ball sizes.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Another boring ball thread but blame Williamalex for this as he said something about balls that has me thinking. Obviously everyone knows golf ball sizes have gone up from 1.62 ( ( British) to 1.68. ( American). 1.68 now being the standard size. It got me thinking as to why the ball size was increased. One of the things I read was that the smaller 1.62 ball gave an advantage especially In wind as it went further than the larger ball.

So my question is this.

There is big discussion about how far pros are hitting balls and about how to reel it in. So Could we see an increase in golf ball sizes. Would the current equipment stand up to smacking a larger ball.

Good read up on golf balls on wikipedia👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another boring ball thread but blame Williamalex for this as he said something about balls that has me thinking. Obviously everyone knows golf ball sizes have gone up from 1.62 ( ( British) to 1.68. ( American). 1.68 now being the standard size. It got me thinking as to why the ball size was increased. One of the things I read was that the smaller 1.62 ball gave an advantage especially In wind as it went further than the larger ball.

So my question is this.

There is big discussion about how far pros are hitting balls and about how to reel it in. So Could we see an increase in golf ball sizes. Would the current equipment stand up to smacking a larger ball.

Good read up on golf balls on wikipedia👍

To standardize the rules

Playing in comps over here (particularly pros) and in comps covered by R&A rules you had to switch to the 1.62 ball, play in USGA covered regions you could choose.

The 1.68 ball is considered to be easier to hit and get airborne so was probably better for new golfers. Play both sizes in the same ball and the 1.62 penetrated the wind better and the 1.68 produced a higher flight.

There are and have been bigger balls around such as the Top Flite Magna and the Maxfli Noodle max.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
To standardize the rules

Playing in comps over here (particularly pros) and in comps covered by R&A rules you had to switch to the 1.62 ball, play in USGA covered regions you could choose.

The 1.68 ball is considered to be easier to hit and get airborne so was probably better for new golfers. Play both sizes in the same ball and the 1.62 penetrated the wind better and the 1.68 produced a higher flight.

There are and have been bigger balls around such as the Top Flite Magna and the Maxfli Noodle max.

If the bigger ball does not go as far, if ever the golfing rule makers think current drivers etc are hitting balls to far, can you see them making balls bigger to cut down on distance Jim.👍

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
If the bigger ball does not go as far, if ever the golfing rule makers think current drivers etc are hitting balls to far, can you see them making balls bigger to cut down on distance Jim.👍
Yup, I'd love to see Rory et al tee up a size 5 football and give it a good whack...! They'd probably still beat me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think advances in golf ball technology since the ruling around 30 years ago has meant that you buy balls for all different reasons. Topflite at one one time had 3 different balls same name different letters that you chose according to the type of flight you want. From memory you chose High Trajectory, Regular Trajectory or Tour Trajectory there was a pictures on the side of the box showing the different trajectories. I think it was Maxfli that brought a ball called the wind ball designed to piece the wind ( they also had a water ball for use in the rain).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The ball size change is covered below, it's free to subscribe ;).

There's no need to make balls bigger. just ,make them lighter, balls that float would go less distance than the current ball and the impact would be greater on long hitters.