Professional Golf 2024

TigerTime

Visit site
Somebody did a vote on twitter the other day. If they all play their best golf, who wins out of Bryson, Brooks, Rory and Scottie Scheffler.

I think it would be pretty close - all class golfers who are capable of shooting low, and I would fancy Rory over 18 holes, but once you factor in playing it over multiple rounds, you know he's got at least one bad round in him. He'll no doubt play himself back into the chasing pack over the next two rounds - but that 73 yesterday has probably taken an opportunity of a win away from him. He'll be praying Wyndham self destructs at some point.
Bryson isn't in the question.

Kopeka, Rahm, Rory and Scheffler is the question. And the answer, is either Scheffler or Rory.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bryson isn't in the question.

Kopeka, Rahm, Rory and Scheffler is the question. And the answer, is either Scheffler or Rory.
Considering Rory last won a major in 2014 it really comes down to Koepka or Scheffler. At the moment that's Scheffler for me.

Incidentally, I'm not in the anti Rory camp but you can't be in that discussion if you aren't winning majors in recent times imo. Only sky keep hammering the Rory is best angle, ridiculously so really.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A lot of people go on about Rory not winning a Major since 2014, but since then he has won 15 times in the PGA tour. In these wins, he has beaten the same players that he was up against in the Majors. Why do people think you have to win loads of majors to be classed as a great? Surely winning multiple times year on year is better than winning once? is Molinari or Willet a better player than Rory as they have had a Major win since 2014?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's how golfers are judged, particularly by themselves. It isn't just hackers on a forum using this as a method of measuring, it's what the very best use.

Majors are when the pressure is highest, you are tested the most.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of people go on about Rory not winning a Major since 2014, but since then he has won 15 times in the PGA tour. In these wins, he has beaten the same players that he was up against in the Majors. Why do people think you have to win loads of majors to be classed as a great? Surely winning multiple times year on year is better than winning once? is Molinari or Willet a better player than Rory as they have had a Major win since 2014?

Him winning multiple times year on year is probably contributing to people saying he is a failure in majors

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's how golfers are judged, particularly by themselves. It isn't just hackers on a forum using this as a method of measuring, it's what the very best use.

Majors are when the pressure is highest, you are tested the most.
But why/how are they different? In tennis the Grand Slams are longer matches, 5 sets instead of 3, snooker, darts etc have longer matches in the top competitions but golf majors are played over the same format as they play every week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But why/how are they different? In tennis the Grand Slams are longer matches, 5 sets instead of 3, snooker, darts etc have longer matches in the top competitions but golf majors are played over the same format as they play every week.
Maybe they are set up harder? Certainly the pressure is greater, the atmosphere is different. The players themselves quote this. There is a realisation that they mean more than a standard tournament and that adds an extra psychological layer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact Koepka has 5 majors makes me think Brooks is the man regardless of the Liv rubbish.

100%

For me too much is made of Rory. Don't get me wrong a good player but when he last won a major brooks, spieth, DJ, Rham JT and Morikawa all had zero majors

So in the past decade those have been far more impressive players yet Rory gets the fan fare even tho whilst they have won multiple majors Rory has "been on the verge"

D

Deleted member 35504

I'm glad someone's had a word with Matti Schmid and told him to tuck his shirt in.

Looked like a chav yesterday, looking like he belongs on the PGA Tour today.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve not watched much of The Players since Tuesday, but have followed the scoring on the PGA app.

It’s incredibly noticeable that, following his excellent opening round on Thursday, Rory has spent the last 27 holes going in the opposite direction to almost the entire top half of the field.

And it’s equally frustrating because I keep having a flutter on him.