Professional Golf 2024

D-S

Visit site
We were just chatting at the club today about this, we came to the conclusion that we had no idea who is playing well or really good at the moment. Is Bubba still a force? - no idea. Is Kaymer still playing? - no clue. Is Cam Smith still one of the best of the world? - perhaps but haven't seen him for a while. Harrington seems to be still up there but is he the best amongst his peers? Could Sergio give him a run for his money? Maybe Westwood?.

To the rank and file its just confusing and a bit irritating.

D

Deleted member 15344

Still not true, and it wouldn't even be mentioned if Tiger weren't involved.
Well a bunch of golfers and pundits and analysts had it as one of the two big Am events in the US which has a long list of top winners , but I’m sure in the grand scheme of things it’s not really something to get that bothered about 🙄

D

Deleted member 1147

Sheffler, Woods, Spieth, Min woo, Jonny Miller, Zalatoris, Brian Harmon, Hunter Mahan.
Minor league winners of the US Junior Am. A bunch of nobodies!
With Thomas, Immelman, CH3, Villegas and Baddeley amongst the runners up.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Has Dunlap just given the eject cord a little tug?

Hitting an iron for safety working well! I thought it was guaranteed to hit the fairway 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've said it before but how is Lydia Ko already not in the LPGA hall of fame - 20 wins, 2 majors, world number 1 for 90 plus weeks and all those age records broken as well as player of the year awards. Still only 26 she should be OK.

Does make you wonder how many will make it into the hall of fame going forwards unless they change the criteria as strength of competition must limit it.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Dunlap seems to be quite a decent player......

Great up and down after a bit of luck with the kick to the green (hit a spectator?) after his second shot - he thought he had a two-shot lead when he aimed right, but he didn't buckle when he realised he needed a par.

wjemather

Visit site
Sheffler, Woods, Spieth, Min woo, Jonny Miller, Zalatoris, Brian Harmon, Hunter Mahan.
Minor league winners of the US Junior Am. A bunch of nobodies!
With Thomas, Immelman, CH3, Villegas and Baddeley amongst the runners up.
The quality of past winners and finalists of the US Jr Am was never in dispute.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Chatting in the bar after my round on Sunday and nobody was surprised about Dunlap (just need to slip in the fact I’m in Florida). I’d never heard of him until this week but in the US he is already a big deal and widely touted as the best amateur since Tiger.

D

Deleted member 15344

You think that statement is questioning the quality of past winners? Wow.

All it implies is that (some) commentators will say almost anything to get Tiger Woods into the mix and generate hyperbole.
I really can’t see what the problem is

The commentators ( us golfers and ex major winners ) and pundits etc all professional golfers stated a number of times that the two Am comps were seen as a big deal and Dunlap winning both of those events was a potential sign that golf has a very good talent on their hands and used the fact that he is the first player since Woods to win both as a potential sign that he could be the real deal

And the lad then goes on to win a tour title - clearly the events mean something in the US , im not sure the point you are trying to make.

Christ golf commentators have been creating hyperboles using Woods for decades now

It’s a great win for a young guy who clearly has a outstanding future ahead of him

wjemather

Visit site
I really can’t see what the problem is

The commentators ( us golfers and ex major winners ) and pundits etc all professional golfers stated a number of times that the two Am comps were seen as a big deal and Dunlap winning both of those events was a potential sign that golf has a very good talent on their hands and used the fact that he is the first player since Woods to win both as a potential sign that he could be the real deal

And the lad then goes on to win a tour title - clearly the events mean something in the US , im not sure the point you are trying to make.

Christ golf commentators have been creating hyperboles using Woods for decades now

It’s a great win for a young guy who clearly has a outstanding future ahead of him
I very clearly made my point in #78.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Chatting in the bar after my round on Sunday and nobody was surprised about Dunlap (just need to slip in the fact I’m in Florida). I’d never heard of him until this week but in the US he is already a big deal and widely touted as the best amateur since Tiger.
It's a good storyline. Probably some tricky decisions to make now, finish college or go pro.
Not to same level as the teenage darts lad, but did he look a little older than his years?

Away from PGAT was Lowry the most recent on DPWT/European?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a good storyline. Probably some tricky decisions to make now, finish college or go pro.
Lets not forget it isn't unprecedented as Mickleson did it as well. Lowry did it at the Irish in 2009. I would guess it depends on what doors are opening for him but turning pro would seem logical but I always worry when players do so very only. Look at Rose and his 20+ missed cuts when he first started. That may destroy some