Professional Golf 2024

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
What are we thinking? Surely this has given the DP tour a pathway to include our own LIV players including Rahm to ensure we have as strong a team as we can https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...le-for-us-ryder-cup-team-and-pga-championship

Surely it is too good an opportunity to remain stubborn
Technically the pathway is already there, but IMO the DPWT are treading a fine line in trying not to upset their PGAT partners too much, and trying to bring in money via fines.
Unfortunately IMO it just looks a mess and hypocritical when you see things like the Dunhill entry list.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Have you got the lottery numbers too? What you say is logical but is it factual?

First of all, there’s already two tours. I don’t fancy a long drawn out discussion about what you believe will happen. As per the inclusion of LIV players into the US Ryder Cup team and to the Majors you’ve already proven to be wrong.

There’s two tours for a reason. The US viewing public, and more importantly the sponsors, don’t care what happens outside of their time zone. There is little market in the US for something that is broadcast when they’re asleep. The USPGA tour is really only interested in getting the world’s best players onto their tour. They’re not interested in what time a European tour event airs on TV.

As I said, I’m not interested in debating something that we know nothing about, less so from a non-factual basis. However, what does surprise me is why didn’t LIV take on the European tour, a far easier target? No doubt they stress tested their strategy and decided they were comfortable with the possible outcomes. No doubt they had some of the world’s best business strategists working on it… if only they’d speak to people who haven’t got a clue…

There are some facts

Since a new tour arrived the people watching golf has reduced - that’s both on the sofa and in the events

The PGAT wasn’t perfect and have made my feelings known about players who left to go there pretty clear but at least we had all the top players playing in one tour

There was a gap for something different to work alongside other tours in terms of WGC expansion but that seemed to die away

If Saudi went in there and decided to throw money at ET events then I suspect things would have been different - but that didn’t happen - they went in and put events on the doorstop of the PGAT

When it comes to golf tournaments now - most appear to only care about the majors or a comp near home.

We have seen splits in other sports and it’s not gone well

Golf needs to sort it out or it will just get worse - but the players don’t mind because right now they are just getting richer

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whatever your persuasion, the PGA of America has just added LIV to its list of approved Tours (which wasn’t in place before yesterday)

In doing so they have (in my mind at least) added a modicum/layer of legitimacy to that Tour

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whatever your persuasion, the PGA of America has just added LIV to its list of approved Tours (which wasn’t in place before yesterday)

In doing so they have (in my mind at least) added a modicum/layer of legitimacy to that Tour
Sadly I think you are right. Is this acceptance a sign that they have given up the fight and will let it co-exist without too many barriers or objections going forward. Seems to me a very small step from co-sanctioned tours

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The PGA of America have done nothing different than they did over the last couple of years

LIV players were already ok to play in their major and also the Ryder Cup

BubbaP

Visit site

Interestingly a lot of people commenting on wider Social Media seem to share your view.
IMO they would only really be doing this if they changed their qualifying criteria. If it remains heavily based around the PGAT then no real change I would say.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interestingly a lot of people commenting on wider Social Media seem to share your view.
IMO they would only really be doing this if they changed their qualifying criteria. If it remains heavily based around the PGAT then no real change I would say.

Brooks was only able to play in last Ryder cup due to a 'grace period' that was in place by PGAofA, that grace period wouldn't be in place for next ryder cup, so any LIV golfers would not have been able to play for USA unless/until the PGAofA added LIV to its list of approved tours

BubbaP

Visit site
Brooks was only able to play in last Ryder cup due to a 'grace period' that was in place by PGAofA, that grace period wouldn't be in place for next ryder cup, so any LIV golfers would not have been able to play for USA unless/until the PGAofA added LIV to its list of approved tours
(y) with you. They've formalised it, so it is a tad more significant. Be interesting to see if any changes to their 2025 major qualifying.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
(y) with you. They've formalised it, so it is a tad more significant. Be interesting to see if any changes to their 2025 major qualifying.

I expect we'll start to see a qualifying criteria of 'the top x from LIV' introduced into the Majors sooner or later - the reality is, it's not in their best interests to keep some of those players out - the only organisations with an axe to grind are the PGAT and DPWT, and while they've tried to keep the Majors onside to help them fight their battle, it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are never going back to mens pro golf as it was pre 2022.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I expect we'll start to see a qualifying criteria of 'the top x from LIV' introduced into the Majors sooner or later - the reality is, it's not in their best interests to keep some of those players out - the only organisations with an axe to grind are the PGAT and DPWT, and while they've tried to keep the Majors onside to help them fight their battle, it's becoming increasingly obvious that we are never going back to mens pro golf as it was pre 2022.
Yet the R&A and USGA were very clear in regards their qualifying criteria

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So nothing has changed then - LIV players were allowed in the PGA and to be able to play for the US in the Ryder Cup

Yes it has, see post #1671 the change was very much needed if PGAofA wanted american LIV players to be eligible to play in future RC

I get that you want to see it as 'nothing to see here' and I'm not gonna be able to change your point of view but the RC eligibility criteria has now changed for those players