Professional Golf 2024

wjemather

Visit site
So why weren’t they put on the clock?

Either it wasn’t an issue, or it’s not as important as we believe.

Maybe BiMGuy is right and as he was doing everything himself, checking, re-checking, they cut him some slack.
There was a lot of time spent getting rulings (and being buzzed by a drone) that caused them to fall behind. They were told to catch up.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The tour is already struggling with declining viewing figures, and part of the reason for that is the lack of action and the amount of dead time during broadcasts. Even slower play might just about kill them off.
Totally disagree, the red button had coverage of McIlroy and Kim and it was excellent viewing, there is plenty of Golf going on around the Course, the broadcaster doesn’t have to show the leaders all the time or guys waiting for rulings etc.

The 2nd to last group left the 18th as the finsl group walked to the 18th tee.

PaulMdj

Visit site
People replicate the crap behaviour from the Tour at Mudpile Hills GC on a Saturday morning!🤕🤢🤯

If the pros start taking 7 hours, look forward to 6 on a course near you.
No they don’t, totally different situation, nobody in a Club on a saturday morning is played for their careers and millions of dollars!

4LEX

Visit site
What an amazing performance from Rab McIntyre to win yesterday with his old man on the bag too. Sport gives us incredibly emotional moments from time to time, the interview at the end was a real tear jerker. I seen a video of him face timing his mum telling her, her mortgage will be paid off. He seeems like a down to earth boy

Considering before yesterdays win, he'd ready earnt £5m plus in just prize money I was surprised he hadn't already paid it off 😅

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No they don’t, totally different situation, nobody in a Club on a saturday morning is played for their careers and millions of dollars!

It is indeed totally different.

But, you see all this staring into space, aiming pointing and faffing around creeping into weekend golfers. They've learned it off the TV.

That's why club golf is getting slower.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It is indeed totally different.

But, you see all this staring into space, aiming pointing and faffing around creeping into weekend golfers. They've learned it off the TV.

That's why club golf is getting slower.
It’s not going to get any slower, those things you mention happen now, just what are these “new” things golfers are going to do?

Plus Clubs are already being proactive in getting people to speed up, its down to Clubs to keep that pressure on.

D

Deleted member 29109

It’s not going to get any slower, those things you mention happen now, just what are these “new” things golfers are going to do?
Nonsense. In my experience the players slowing things up are mostly just slow at moving to their ball, leave their bags in random places or can’t be more than 10 paces from the rest of their group or are just really bad at golf.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Nonsense. In my experience the players slowing things up are mostly just slow at moving to their ball, leave their bags in random places or can’t be more than 10 paces from the rest of their group or are just really bad at golf.
So again nothing new, they are already doing this, why are they suddenly going to go slower?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just an update on Rob MacIntyre’s round last night:

He tee’d off at 19:30hrs UK time.
He putted out on the 18th at 23:38.

I make that just over 4hrs 8 minutes.

Was it really that slow for a final round on the PGA Tour?

Timings come from Sky Coverage:
78E35D6D-154E-493E-A883-7E01172E00A4.jpeg

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not seeing them getting longer.😉

When I joined Newport in 2009, a Saturday medal was 3 hours 45 tops.

Now it is 4 and a half hours, sometimes more.

And Yes. 4 hours is a long time for a 2 ball (with caddies) shooting sub 70, on a course they've played for the previous three days. 🤣🤣 (plus practice days.)

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
4 hours seems reasonable to me.

Some players are faster than others and that’s fine.

I just don’t get this fascination with speed and time. Shall we just give prizes to the players who go the fastest? Golf’s not meant to be a race!

PaulMdj

Visit site
When I joined Newport in 2009, a Saturday medal was 3 hours 45 tops.

Now it is 4 and a half hours, sometimes more.

And Yes. 4 hours is a long time for a 2 ball (with caddies) shooting sub 70, on a course they've played for the previous three days. 🤣🤣 (plus practice days.)
4 hours in the final round of a PGA event is absolutely not slow, massive jump to the 7 hours quoted on here previously and all because 1 poster thought it was slow round.
Maybe it’s just perception.