prizes for magic 2 's

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been lucky this year to have had 3 magic 2s in away open comps.
At the first club I stayed for the prize giving as I was in the second last game , they announced magic 2s would be £15 each . So I was surprised a week later to receive a SGU voucher for only £12.50 posted to my home club .

Second club , no word after 2 weeks so I called them and was assured my prize would be sent to my club right away, no joy after another week , I emailed them, then 4 days later a £6 voucher arrived which is only redeemable at their pro shop which is about a 20 mile round trip for me.

Third club no word after 6 weeks , but as I was booked to play there again on the 8th week I waited, I asked the pro what's going on. He said sorry he had overlooked it and wrote me a cheque for £10.

As the magic 2 comps are a separate cash comp normally a pound or two, should winners not be paid in cash or say a few balls on the day as happens most times . Or is this a new ploy to save money. ANY THOUGHTS .

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always used to be paid in balls, but pro shop vouchers has become the norm these days, with email and such like there is no need to delay the sorting out 8 days let alone 8 weeks, my first thought would be
They were trying to pull a fast one. Wrong also to announce £15 and pay only £12.50!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always used to be paid in balls, but pro shop vouchers has become the norm these days, with email and such like there is no need to delay the sorting out 8 days let alone 8 weeks, my first thought would be
They were trying to pull a fast one. Wrong also to announce £15 and pay only £12.50!
My thoughts also, but sending a voucher that can only be used in their pro shop - say Machrihanish for instance [btw not one of the courses involved], I don't think that is right, fair enough a golf union voucher which can be used in ANY pro-shop or a few balls I don't mind.:angry::rant:

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't usually bother entering them in away comps for this reason. I'm not sure I'd even bother collecting a full open win probably just tell them to give it charity. I just enjoy the cheap round and .1 increase.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't usually bother entering them in away comps for this reason. I'm not sure I'd even bother collecting a full open win probably just tell them to give it charity. I just enjoy the cheap round and .1 increase.
You must be well off, as the prize money can be a few hundred quid.:confused:

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I understand the desire to keep the two's money 'in house' as all attached pro's are struggling to compete these days, i had a similar issue recently at an 'open' comp,no mention of how the two's would be paid out as my money was taken (mistake on my part, i should have asked), managed to get 2 two's and found out two weeks later that an account had been opened in my name for my two's money. I suppose the answer is ask before you enter the two's and decline if you don't like the answer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rarely enter the twos at my place. Usually so many that the pot is less than the cost of a sleeve of Pro V so doesn't seem too much point. Tend to go in it at forum meets more in hope than expectation

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand the desire to keep the two's money 'in house' as all attached pro's are struggling to compete these days, i had a similar issue recently at an 'open' comp,no mention of how the two's would be paid out as my money was taken (mistake on my part, i should have asked), managed to get 2 two's and found out two weeks later that an account had been opened in my name for my two's money. I suppose the answer is ask before you enter the two's and decline if you don't like the answer.
I don't have a problem with major prizes being in house , but 2s prizes should be paid out on the day ie 3balls . not having to travel x amount of miles to pick up a prize which is of less value than your fuel, not to mention your time.:mad:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
played a The Roxburgh last year and had a Magic 2 plus nearest the pin. Had a 2 ball for the 2 and a 4 ball for nearest the pin. Managed to sell both prizes for £110 and was very pleased with thee result.

Before I played I did no know what a Magic 2 was!!!

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Two's at our place has become a joke since they split prizes by A and B section. I can understand why the higher handicappers would feel disadvantaged, but the result is that an A section 2 can be worth as little as £3. I made two in one round earlier this year and carried off a grand old haul of £7 - whoop-dee-do.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have a problem with major prizes being in house , but 2s prizes should be paid out on the day ie 3balls . not having to travel x amount of miles to pick up a prize which is of less value than your fuel, not to mention your time.:mad:

Agree Williamalex, it's not going to stop me playing in 'opens' but i will make a point of asking how the two will be paid out, that way i won't have to spend £20 on fuel to collect £6.50.;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two's at our place has become a joke since they split prizes by A and B section. I can understand why the higher handicappers would feel disadvantaged, but the result is that an A section 2 can be worth as little as £3. I made two in one round earlier this year and carried off a grand old haul of £7 - whoop-dee-do.
Same a few years ago when I was in first class, 2 twos = £7.20, but my mate in 3rd class got £100.00 for his one because his class had not been won for a few weeks. The pots are always kept separate , you don't want to be the cat amongst the pigeons doo you.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our 2's pot is everybody in together. The fact that I (supposedly) have more chance of a 2 offsets the disadvantage that a fair few comps I'd have to break the course record to win.

Swings and roundabouts.

We entered the 2's in the open we played at Beau Desert and the prize turned out to be 5 x ProV's per 2. Had to go back to fetch them though as we didn't want to wait hours for the presentation and they obviously don't know how many balls per 2 until the comp has finished.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
they only changed it a couple of years ago - it used to be everyone in the same pot. 2s used to be worth on average perhaps about £7 or £8, which seemed reasonable return. under the current system i've got to make a 2 every 3 rounds just to break even!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i am currently involved in a boycott of our 2's sweep in protest against my pro. it seems extremely petty, but that's just the kind of person I am...

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
our 2's money goes into pro shop account , ive gotten club jumpers , my garmin dmd , my clubs regripped . balls etc , lately there is very little in the shop and if you ask for stuff it never seems to materalise , geting fed up of it now , have bout €200 in it id say and nothing worth buying

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
lately there is very little in the shop and if you ask for stuff it never seems to materalise , geting fed up of it now ,

You could always order something through your pro..

i have done mate, the shop is run by the club , affiliated to a golf shop , was even gona use it up on pro v's . ah theyl be in next thursday , that was 3 weeks ago or more

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Postage is expensive these days :D