Practice - What Are People Working On

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Accuracy

The biggest thing costing me shots is my accuracy these days.

Im confident off the tee and around the greens but my approach play is easily costing me 5/6 shots a round. If I can just hit a few more GIR per round, the scores should tumble.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Driver accuracy; Because i'm not long off the tee I need 100% fairways hit from the 13 drivers each round

Last round was pretty typical at: 9 FIR, 2 more in first cut about an inch high, but 2 in fairway bunkers
While not ideal I can live with the first cut but only if its my worst effort of the day, but I cant afford the other two

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Driver accuracy; Because i'm not long off the tee I need 100% fairways hit from the 13 drivers each round

Last round was pretty typical at: 9 FIR, 2 more in first cut about an inch high, but 2 in fairway bunkers
While not ideal I can live with the first cut but only if its my worst effort of the day, but I cant afford the other two

Hitting 100% fairways would be a dream for me :ROFLMAO:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been playing twice a week through winter and concentrating hard on staying in the present, its not always easy but it definitely makes a difference.

Also, from an earlier lesson on ironplay, I try and hit the range once a week just to make sure I dont stop what Im doing, with the odd exception my irons have been so much better since the lesson - just keep trying to groove the change so it feels natural.

Now that the warmer weather is on its way I will be spending a lot of time on short game, especially putting. I am seriously sucking at putting at the moment!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well what I have been working on in practice on the range most certainly did not transition well from range to course today..no matter - back to range tomorrow.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting, putting, and putting for me. That would have my H/C down to 10 easy. But will I bother?????

Also, I'll be working on pursuading the wife to practice chipping and putting. If she can get that bit into her armoury, then I predict another year of a falling H/C. Maybe down to 24.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Not much with a 10 day old baby :D

still managed 11 holes this week though

But alignment last round I found out that mine has become absolutely shocking feet aiming at the target

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not much with a 10 day old baby :D

still managed 11 holes this week though

But alignment last round I found out that mine has become absolutely shocking feet aiming at the target

Congrats! Enjoy it while it lasts, easy to get out when they're a bit useless and sleep all the time ?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Two things for me:
1. Putting distance control, need to get it roped in as I'm leaving way too many putts short.

2. Getting AOA sorted with my driver. STILL struggling to get consistent AOA even after a few lessons, so need to really start working on this, it's losing me a lot of distance off the tee. To the point where I can hit my 3 Hybrid further.

RichA

Visit site
Two things for me:
1. Putting distance control, need to get it roped in as I'm leaving way too many putts short.

2. Getting AOA sorted with my driver. STILL struggling to get consistent AOA even after a few lessons, so need to really start working on this, it's losing me a lot of distance off the tee. To the point where I can hit my 3 Hybrid further.
Not worth worrying about at ours in winter. Every green seems so different. Can't remember the last round that didn't include a dozen 3-putts. Played a "better" course twice last week and it was even worse. I've decided that putting is a summer thing.

evemccc

Visit site
Accuracy

The biggest thing costing me shots is my accuracy these days.

Im confident off the tee and around the greens but my approach play is easily costing me 5/6 shots a round. If I can just hit a few more GIR per round, the scores should tumble.

Do you have a miss - are you short and underclubbing / fatting it, long?

Left / right - do you think it’s set-up alignment or a tendency to push it right or hook / pull it left?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Not worth worrying about at ours in winter. Every green seems so different. Can't remember the last round that didn't include a dozen 3-putts. Played a "better" course twice last week and it was even worse. I've decided that putting is a summer thing.

Personally, I think we should just ban putting altogether :ROFLMAO: I agree though, there just seems to be so much variation in green speed from green to green. Especially after all the rain we've had lately.

phillarrow

Visit site
Personally, I think we should just ban putting altogether :ROFLMAO: I agree though, there just seems to be so much variation in green speed from green to green. Especially after all the rain we've had lately.

This! 100%!

Golf is hard enough without trying to get the bloody ball into a sodding hole that is far too damn small!

P.S. I'm not very good at putting...in case you haven't guessed! ;)

evemccc

Visit site
I struggle with distance control too - my reading of line is pretty good I think - I use feet as well as eyes for line, and always take two things I heard to heart 1) The majority of amateurs miss on the low side 2) pros miss high, and Amateurs miss on the low side —— this has helped me

Distance control is far my biggest putting concern.

Has anyone tried the Heads Up Putting technique? Apparently Spieth uses / used it

Newtonuti

Visit site
To vary the distance, vary the length of backswing but keep the same tempo throughout the stroke

Thanks for this Bob! I need to try and force myself down to the putting green more then I currently do. I get drawn into the "Let's just go whack some balls instead of doing boring putting practise"