Practice - What Are People Working On

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Headed to the course this evening for a bit of practise. I know I need to focus on my approach play, so got the wedges out and set up 85 yards from the flag. I had 3 goals in difficulty order:

1: No shanks (I’m usually very poor in half swings which comes from a lack of confidence)

2: hit the green with every shot.

3: in theory be a comfortable 2 putt.

Must have hit 30-40 shots and ticked all 3 boxes above so was very happy.

Then did the same from 55 yards, hit a few thin ones from this distance, but these ended up not too long so wouldn’t have been a disaster.

Overall very happy

Just a suggestion - everyone is different and you might think my way is daft!

Rather than manufacturing a swing to go a certain distance, I have a couple of swings I feel I can reproduce very consistently (roughly half and three quarter) and noted how far each of these went with my different wedges.

If I get a perfect distance on course it’s all good… if it’s not quite right I adjust either up or down the grip, or swing a little softer or harder.

I just felt better with a starting point that was comfortable than learning a swing to go a certain distance.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Rather than manufacturing a swing to go a certain distance, I have a couple of swings I feel I can reproduce very consistently (roughly half and three quarter) and noted how far each of these went with my different wedges.

If I get a perfect distance on course it’s all good… if it’s not quite right I adjust either up or down the grip, or swing a little softer or harder.

I just felt better with a starting point that was comfortable than learning a swing to go a certain distance.
Hi Gary
What’s your handicap now mate?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

I know what you mean, the 85 yards was because this is a distance I get left with quite a lot at our place for approach shots and just used it for a reference. I was playing around with distance a bit and noting how far long/short of the flag where the 1/2 or 3/4 swings were going. I wasn’t really forcing each shot to be as close to 85 yards as possible.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Gary
What’s your handicap now mate?

My last one under Congu was 4.1
When it changed to WHS it got changed to 2.3 I think, but for one reason or another I hardly played for a year. Back into it now but not as good and back up to 4.1

Longer answer than you wanted but I thought it needed a bit of context ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
My last one under Congu was 4.1
When it changed to WHS it got changed to 2.3 I think, but for one reason or another I hardly played for a year. Back into it now but not as good and back up to 4.1

Longer answer than you wanted but I thought it needed a bit of context ?
Nice one
Good to see you posting again
Class act

sunshine

Visit site
I had a practice round at southern hills yesterday, just trying to get some feels and see how my body responds to the walk. Swing feels good, helicopters overhead, but it is what it is.