Practice - What Are People Working On

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got my Visio stroke template and gates out to try and find a putter I am comfy with and can start on line. For no apparent reason decided to putt with my eyes closed and expected to hear the ball crash into the gate which was set for only 0.75 of an inch leeway. Three straight through. Stupid

Barking_Mad

Visit site
For me it's:
  • Approaches under 120 yards.
  • Putting from inside 8ft and over 25ft.
  • Driver - My driving was so erratic (260 yard bombs or 200 yard slices). I eventually worked out it was due to a lack of depth on the backswing. My left arm was folding and my hands were too close to my head. Worked on feeling like I'm taking the club as far away from me as possible (really big stretch) and it's made such a massive difference. Slice be gone! (for now) ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Got my Visio stroke template and gates out to try and find a putter I am comfy with and can start on line. For no apparent reason decided to putt with my eyes closed and expected to hear the ball crash into the gate which was set for only 0.75 of an inch leeway. Three straight through. Stupid

Sure you didn’t just miss them completely? ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No. Ended up in the plastic hole and can't swerve around the gates. I guess I should be pleased but can't go down the putting eyes closed on the course. Not got the balls for that.

You could give Jordan Spieth's looking at the hole when putting. It's actually a lot easier than you would think.

D

Deleted member 23270

my main focus this year will be getting the ball in the hole with less strokes
I thought about trying that as well but decided against it. The more shots you take equals less money per shot therefore better VFM.
Everything is going up in price these days so why make your golf more expensive too ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First practice session after work. Happy days. Hit it ok for the most part so very happy. We've even got brand new range balls which are lovely to hit and go only about 5% less than a normal one. A couple of beers after and a perfect end to a good day

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had a lesson with the pro today and worked on my driver and then half an hour on 20 to 30 yard pitch shots and how to get the different trajectories etc.

Enjoyable, out at 6am tomorrow for a few holes before work so will see how it goes!

D

Deleted member 23270

First practice session after work. Happy days. Hit it ok for the most part so very happy. We've even got brand new range balls which are lovely to hit and go only about 5% less than a normal one. A couple of beers after and a perfect end to a good day
I shall look forward to your range ball review on your channel ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Don't over think it and have too many swing thoughts. Remember sometimes backwards to go forwards

With the driver it was just a refresher on coming from the inside more and to get my hands working more to bring my clubhead through. He thinks this is likely why I'm not a big hitter for my size - everything is currently coming from my body and I'd found a balance that was working. It did explain a few things like my low ball flight and why my misses are what they are.

The pitch shots was pretty much the same technique across them all but with different ball positions between the feet for the trajectory, so I liked that it was a pretty consistent swing. He said the thing was to think about what sort of shot you wanted to hit and where to etc beforehand. Once you're stood over the ball its all the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the driver it was just a refresher on coming from the inside more and to get my hands working more to bring my clubhead through. He thinks this is likely why I'm not a big hitter for my size - everything is currently coming from my body and I'd found a balance that was working. It did explain a few things like my low ball flight and why my misses are what they are.

The pitch shots was pretty much the same technique across them all but with different ball positions between the feet for the trajectory, so I liked that it was a pretty consistent swing. He said the thing was to think about what sort of shot you wanted to hit and where to etc beforehand. Once you're stood over the ball its all the same.

No excuses for not going low then

phillarrow

Visit site
I've realised that trying to build a wedge game is pointless!

My home course is so windy ALL the time, but to such varying extents, that there is just no point trying to learn distances with different wedges for full/half/three quarter shots. Instead, I'm just going to focus on my strike and see if I can learn to 'read' the wind conditions over time.

Instead, I'm back to the putting green to work on my ability to hole out. I'm trying to stand a little taller and keep to a decent tempo. Some early promising signs but too early to really see a sustained improvement.

D

Deleted member 29109

I've realised that trying to build a wedge game is pointless!

My home course is so windy ALL the time, but to such varying extents, that there is just no point trying to learn distances with different wedges for full/half/three quarter shots. Instead, I'm just going to focus on my strike and see if I can learn to 'read' the wind conditions over time.

Instead, I'm back to the putting green to work on my ability to hole out. I'm trying to stand a little taller and keep to a decent tempo. Some early promising signs but too early to really see a sustained improvement.

I’d say it’s worth it. I also play on a very windy course and have worked out full and 9 o’clock distances for my 4 wedges. Plus what I think of as stock 9 o’clock pitch shots for my 8 and 9 iron.

I have my baseline numbers, then adjust which club based on conditions.

The trick is to try and keep the trajectory low rather than thinking wedge shots must fly high. That way the wind doesn’t have too much impact.