Practice - What Are People Working On

D

Deleted member 3432

Had a lesson this morning coming off some good ball striking yesterday. Swing is in a good place but looking to lower ball flight with shorter irons so a couple of tweaks to work on.

Ended up doing a Trackman test from 70 - 110 yards which graded me at 1 handicap. Pleased with that, not really done any wedge practice on yardages all winter.

Lots of positives for season ahead if the body holds up.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK I know practice is an anathema to many but for those that do like to work on their game what are you working on and how is it going?

Off the back of my lesson I'm working hard on clearing the hips (Bad ones I slide them and don't turn) and getting a tad more side tilt. It has been working well although not always translated to the course yet but getting the hips clear has improved compression and added a few valuable yards. Just back from the range and can really see the progress but still too many hip slides, especially if I get too quick

So who else is working on stuff

Definitely my putting. Going to my local course which I have to pass on way to work and working on the practice green. One ball so I have to play from where it lies replicating golf course.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site
Chipping. I'm awful with the short shots and hate spending time practicing it although I know it's the area where I could see most progress. Got to suck it up and get on with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Chipping. I'm awful with the short shots and hate spending time practicing it although I know it's the area where I could see most progress. Got to suck it up and get on with it.

Short game is my nemesis. The problem I have is I can grind it out along with pitching and bunker play and walk off the short game area very pleased and thinking I have something that works. I can normally hole out a good few chips and scare the holes from 20-25 yards but once I get to the course the mind gets full of the technical thoughts I had been working on and lose any feel and play with freedom. That is the bigger hurdle for me to get over

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’m working on tilting the hips/pelvis during the backswing. As I mentioned my shoulders have always turned too flat, made worse by not doing the above.
Below is a fantastic video from Eric Corgorno, who is good but he tends to go on a bit too much.
It can be summed up between 4 and 6 minutes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A good afternoon working on my bunker play following the advice from a Danny Maude video I watched

Also some pitching and chipping from a recent Padraig Harrington video

Short game coming together and I just need to invest time and effort to get on top of it and get consistent and confident. Several up and downs at the weekend helped reinforce the work

Jason.H

Visit site
Ball striking really coming on. First round since starting golf again in November that I’ve played full 18 hole practice round with zero miss hits.

Last edited:

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After a curates egg on Monday, spent the last couple of mornings working on swinging through ball easier. Just the left foot back and flared routine really. Great thing is, I know I am not swaying so it takes out any unnecessary extra swing thoughts, and I can clear my hips easier. Some very nice strikes both days, just need to take that confidence to the course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My putting.

I've never bothered about it in the past as I seem to have always been pretty good. But I am missing way too many (more often than not pretty straight) under 6ft and not getting many 6-10 footers - and the misses are negating the benefits I should be getting from my improved under 100yd accuracy. I mostly miss right.
Long distance I don't seem to have the same issue - quite possibly as the hole is not in my peripheral vision in the way it is for the shorties.

So yesterday went on to putting green and went through the meticulous set up I see our young potential 'superstar' lass doing. And blimey. When I do a very careful line-up/set-up as she does, and then stand over the ball my eyes and head tell me I am aiming left. And I know that I am not - I know from my careful line-up that I am aiming bang into the middle of the hole. Of course it seems that when my head tells me I am aiming left I compensate and I will hit (and miss) to the right. And so yesterday I tried ignoring what my eyes and head were telling me and really focussed on hitting straight through the line I had set up - and the ball went into the middle of the hole.

I have no idea what's going on - and I can imagine this being difficult to overcome - but I will persist.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After a curates egg on Monday, spent the last couple of mornings working on swinging through ball easier. Just the left foot back and flared routine really. Great thing is, I know I am not swaying so it takes out any unnecessary extra swing thoughts, and I can clear my hips easier. Some very nice strikes both days, just need to take that confidence to the course.

I've been working on a flared left foot as I had been feeling stuck inside and a simple change has given me so much more room to turn and clear the hips and making a much better and fuller swing knowing I can get through it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My putting.

I've never bothered about it in the past as I seem to have always been pretty good. But I am missing way too many (more often than not pretty straight) under 6ft and not getting many 6-10 footers - and the misses are negating the benefits I should be getting from my improved under 100yd accuracy. I mostly miss right.
Long distance I don't seem to have the same issue - quite possibly as the hole is not in my peripheral vision in the way it is for the shorties.

So yesterday went on to putting green and went through the meticulous set up I see our young potential 'superstar' lass doing. And blimey. When I do a very careful line-up/set-up as she does, and then stand over the ball my eyes and head tell me I am aiming left. And I know that I am not - I know from my careful line-up that I am aiming bang into the middle of the hole. Of course it seems that when my head tells me I am aiming left I compensate and I will hit (and miss) to the right. And so yesterday I tried ignoring what my eyes and head were telling me and really focussed on hitting straight through the line I had set up - and the ball went into the middle of the hole.

I have no idea what's going on - and I can imagine this being difficult to overcome - but I will persist.
Have a look at Mike Malaska videos on YouTube.
There is one on this exact problem. I have it myself.
He’s says it’s your eye position over the ball to much.
You need to move your eyes inside the line to make your eyes look down the line more.
He says that’s why Nicklaus moved around a lot when setting up as he had this problem as well.
So we are in very good company.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely my putting. Going to my local course which I have to pass on way to work and working on the practice green. One ball so I have to play from where it lies replicating golf course.
I always use two balls.
First one to confirm I have read it correctly.
Second one to see if I can repeat it or correct my misread.
Using one ball isn’t good if you keep getting it wrong.
But that’s just how I was taught years ago.
Good luck.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Setup.

Had my first real lesson with the boy yesterday now that he's PGA qualified. First thing he did was check my setup, identified a very small change in posture for my hips (body is out of kilter, slightly twisted when standing naturally). Instantly enabled me to get into a better posture at the top of the swing without the club crossing the line. Hit a few balls in the garden net fine, went on to the course later, and after blocking the first one high right, started hitting quite nicely. Played nine holes, bogeyed the first two and then had 6 pars in the next 7. Struck some of the best shots I've probably ever made. Think he's got a career ahead of him.

Now for me to ingrain the setup change.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have a look at Mike Malaska videos on YouTube.
There is one on this exact problem. I have it myself.
He’s says it’s your eye position over the ball to much.
You need to move your eyes inside the line to make your eyes look down the line more.
He says that’s why Nicklaus moved around a lot when setting up as he had this problem as well.
So we are in very good company.
Just watched the video. Incredible. Exactly my problem - and indeed part of what he does to fix it is just what I was doing yesterday evening picking a spot on the line maybe 6" ahead of my ball and between two tees set just over a balls width apart I pushed into the ground, then convincing myself to hit the ball over it - despite what my eyes were seeing and my head was telling me. I also know I am an 'eyes over the ball' putter...QED.

And the 'clincher' for me (well it made my laugh) is that he used a bullseye when he was a kid and didn't have the same issue. My previous putter was...yup...a bullseye - and I missed far fewer back then - though the same issue was arising but that may well have been an age thing - and why I changed to my current one.

Now I know. You are a star sir! (unless it means I have to buy a new putter to fit the stance I may have to take :))

And I loved his demo and explanation of Nicklaus putting...brilliant.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Headed to the course this evening for a bit of practise. I know I need to focus on my approach play, so got the wedges out and set up 85 yards from the flag. I had 3 goals in difficulty order:

1: No shanks (I’m usually very poor in half swings which comes from a lack of confidence)

2: hit the green with every shot.

3: in theory be a comfortable 2 putt.

Must have hit 30-40 shots and ticked all 3 boxes above so was very happy.

Then did the same from 55 yards, hit a few thin ones from this distance, but these ended up not too long so wouldn’t have been a disaster.

Overall very happy