Post Office - Horizon scandal

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed, but my point is they said all along that they did not know accounts could be accessed remotely. When it emerges that they actually requested a system which allows that, from the outset, then that really will be the final nail in their coffin.

I really do think that the PO knew all about this from the outset.
That coffin obviously has a lot of nails to close it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Another nail?

Tonight’s ITV news’ taped telephone conversation between Second Sight, the forensic accounts called in by the PO to investigate the issues, and the PO’s top solicitor.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Channel 4 piece from 2 months ago. Whilst the first 5 mins is repetition of what we’ve seen before, though still shocking, it’s the comments, 5:30 onwards, by Ian Henderson, the head of Second Sight forensic accountanting firm brought in by the PO, that are seriously damning. Ian Henderson is unambiguous in his determination that Paula Vennells lied in the Commons Select committee hearing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A relatively short vid from the current inquiry. Minutes of meetings about the issues with the Horizon system should be “scrapped.” And the reason given towards the end of the vid… so nothing would be available for disclosure… wow!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Alan Bates was before the inquiry today, and will be there for another two days.

One of today’s revelations is truly saddening. Alan Bates was sending letters to the Post Office Minister who, without consent, was sending them onto the Post Office thus allowing the PO to develop strategies to counter what Alan Bates was trying to achieve. There’s even internal PO documents that say they don’t want Alan Bates to know they were seeing his letters to the Minister.

Another clip from today’s session alludes to the fact that the SubPostmasters union were working with the PO to hinder the work that Alan Bates and his group were doing. I’ve picked up a few instances of this from various reports over the last few months but today’s vid is the first time I’ve heard how direct the Union were, removing a subbie from a meeting because detailed how his contract with the PO had been terminated in the same manner as Alan Bates’.

The level of corruption and conspiracy is mind boggling.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A fair bit of today’s hearing has been with Lord Arbuthnot discussing his and other MP’s attempts to get to the bottom of the issues. It’s horrific to hear of the suppression of evidence, i.e. the non-disclosure of all the known software bugs that had a direct impact on the accounting processes going back to 2000. The YouTube vid below details them early on… it’s eye watering.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A fair bit of today’s hearing has been with Lord Arbuthnot discussing his and other MP’s attempts to get to the bottom of the issues. It’s horrific to hear of the suppression of evidence, i.e. the non-disclosure of all the known software bugs that had a direct impact on the accounting processes going back to 2000. The YouTube vid below details them early on… it’s eye watering.

I just hope these MPs have records of all those that lied to them so they can be prosecuted .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just find the barristers mind boggling clever, I've watched loads of the live video
The top ones are different level intelligent. I know they will have practiced and have a team collating information but even so, they have exceptional minds.

If you ever watch any of the covid enquiry the main people there are the same.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The top ones are different level intelligent. I know they will have practiced and have a team collating information but even so, they have exceptional minds.

If you ever watch any of the covid enquiry the main people there are the same.

I once worked on a job which concluded at what is known as an Article 2 Inquest at Coroner’s Court, so was heard before a jury.

There were barristers representing the drivers of two vehicles, the Health & Safety Executive, a government health agency and the police. So five barristers in total. The one representing the police, who I had the pleasure of working with throughout the course of the hearing, had been involved in the Hillsborough Inquest. So this guy knew his stuff.

For four weeks I watched on in bewildered awe as these barristers weaved their magic. It was without doubt one of the highlights of my career sharing a room with them. I was less than enamoured when I spent eight hours in the witness box having my evidence picked over by them, but thankfully I made it through relatively unscathed.

But it was a proper learning experience. One thing I learned very early in my career, which helped me through experiences like that, is that no barrister worth the name will ever ask a question of a witness or defendant that they do not already know the answer to. They are true masters of their craft.

I urge anyone with an interest in the law to spend time watching people like these in full flow. It’s an experience and then some.

Swango1980

Visit site
I once worked on a job which concluded at what is known as an Article 2 Inquest at Coroner’s Court, so was heard before a jury.

There were barristers representing the drivers of two vehicles, the Health & Safety Executive, a government health agency and the police. So five barristers in total. The one representing the police, who I had the pleasure of working with throughout the course of the hearing, had been involved in the Hillsborough Inquest. So this guy knew his stuff.

For four weeks I watched on in bewildered awe as these barristers weaved their magic. It was without doubt one of the highlights of my career sharing a room with them. I was less than enamoured when I spent eight hours in the witness box having my evidence picked over by them, but thankfully I made it through relatively unscathed.

But it was a proper learning experience. One thing I learned very early in my career, which helped me through experiences like that, is that no barrister worth the name will ever ask a question of a witness or defendant that they do not already know the answer to. They are true masters of their craft.

I urge anyone with an interest in the law to spend time watching people like these in full flow. It’s an experience and then some.
I've been on the stand before, representing a Highway Authority and questioned by the barrister for a large developer. That was fun, felt like I was sitting in the middle of a Hollyood courtroom drama.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I’ve seen number 1 daughter in action, and we’ve spoken many times about her work. She very rarely talks specific but it’s absolutely on another level.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a scary thought when the prosecution side are not determined to get justice, but simply want to win their end of the argument (and thus evidence is happily ignored that doesn't suit their case). Perhaps it is OK if the defense has equally capable and resourced lawyers who are able to get their hands on that evidence, and use it. But, that obviously never happened, and hence the many severe injustices that were occurring for years.

Scary because as an individual or a small company, then your life could be turned upside down at any moment if a bigger organization ever bogusly went after you, and you simply couldn't defend yourself due to lack of resources.

I seriously hope some of these people who covered up evidence to get convictions get severe penalties. And hopefully let that be an example to any other big organizations who ever find themselves going down a similar avenue.