Another Royal Mail / Post Office scandal brewing?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
While the impact isn't remotely in the same league as the Horizon scandal, the attitude of Royal Mail and Post Office surrounding the problems of alleged counterfeit stamps sounds depressingly familiar.

It's becoming fairly clear that for some reason the Royal Mail's stamp scanning equipment is declaring some barcoded stamps to be fake when in all likelihood they aren't.
The Royal Mail's response is to claim that their systems are robust and secure. No acknowledgement that perhaps they've got something wrong.
The Post Office's response to hearing that stamps bought in post offices have been deemed fake by Royal Mail is to suggest that postmasters have acquired fake stamps and sold them instead of genuine ones.

Haven't they learned anything from the Horizon debacle? For God's sake at least consider the possibility that there may be a flaw in the system.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An area of the scandal which does not seem to get mentioned is the massive family rifts it caused.
I know of two cases where family members working for the postmasters [mistresses] who where then accused of stealing money from them.
How do you put a cost on a grandparent not seeing a grandchild for 20 years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the troubles really is that fake stamps, to be seen on places like market place, were so cheap compared to the real ones that probably loads of not so savvy people bought them.
The possibility is that they might have mixed them with ones bought legit and became confused over which was was which.

Personally I would expect the equipment to be correct because there must be so many fakes around.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the troubles really is that fake stamps, to be seen on places like market place, were so cheap compared to the real ones that probably loads of not so savvy people bought them.
The possibility is that they might have mixed them with ones bought legit and became confused over which was was which.

Personally I would expect the equipment to be correct because there must be so many fakes around.
I don't think that's what is happening. There are too many cases of people reporting that the stamps they used were definitely bought from a post office and they've been flagged as fakes.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will confess that now, I have no faith or loyalty to the PO or RM.
The PO may not be RM, but they work together and rightly or wrongly they are tarred with the same brush now, and I'm struggling to see why they shouldnt be closed down and let the global logistics companies that transport parcels so well take over them both. Then jail all those in control of the PO both now and in the past 20 years or so on murder charges , as that is what the computer says, with a minimum of 40 years each and their pension pots given ot the Sub postmasters and mistresses and their families.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think that's what is happening. There are too many cases of people reporting that the stamps they used were definitely bought from a post office and they've been flagged as fakes.
so they say!

I reckon at one time I was getting 2 or 3 posts a day to buy these stamps. They must have sold them them to someone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But of course they would. There were many outlets on the internet selling stamps - coincidence?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will confess that now, I have no faith or loyalty to the PO or RM.
The PO may not be RM, but they work together and rightly or wrongly they are tarred with the same brush now, and I'm struggling to see why they shouldnt be closed down and let the global logistics companies that transport parcels so well take over them both. Then jail all those in control of the PO both now and in the past 20 years or so on murder charges , as that is what the computer says, with a minimum of 40 years each and their pension pots given ot the Sub postmasters and mistresses and their families.
I’m agree in principle but you can’t jail someone on a charge!
You must find them guilty in court first. 😳
Sadly I can’t see this happening !

All the rest is spot on.😉😉