Player with the lowest Handicap Index at your club

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
+4.5 is our lowest at the moment.
He’s the best of 13 plus
Handicappers.
Interesting you refer to 'better than scratch' golfers as having a Plus Handicap (and signify is accordingly) - as indeed I do - yet most it seems show such handicaps as a negative number - even although we ADD such handicaps to their gross score. But I'm with you. So accordingly the lowest handicap at my place is our rising star - 16 yr old lass off Plus 4 :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
64, which the guy off -8 shares with two others. Par is 70. He is (was?) on a golf scholarship in California last I heard, although he's probably 21/22 now so I'm not sure if he'll have graduated by now.
Played a links course couple of years back that was a long par 69 as almost all the par 4s were longer than 400 yds - a a good few quite a bit over 400yds. They seemed to have a lot of plus handicappers. I had it explained to me that it was something to do with the fact that it CSS was often high - and if you could cope with the wind and hit the ball a good distance - then a level par knock could be a good few under CSS. And so handicaps of the better players could be very low. And so I have just had a look and their October medal and the CSS for the comp was 76!

So under the old system if a Cat 1 player knocked it round in level par that day - he'd be 7 under CSS - a 0.7 cut (?). Do that a few times and you soon get to big 'plus' numbers. Is your place like that?

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played a links course couple of years back that was a long par 69 as almost all the par 4s were longer than 400 yds - a a good few quite a bit over 400yds. They seemed to have a lot of plus handicappers. I had it explained to me that it was something to do with the fact that it CSS was often high - and if you could cope with the wind and hit the ball a good distance - then a level par knock could be a good few under CSS. And so handicaps of the better players could be very low. And so I have just had a look and their October medal and the CSS for the comp was 76!

So under the old system if a Cat 1 player knocked it round in level par that day - he'd be 7 under CSS - a 0.7 cut (?). Do that a few times and you soon get to big 'plus' numbers. Is your place like that?
CSS is generally 71 compared to par of 70, but often creeps up to 72 and it's probably true to say that lower handicappers can do well when the weather's blowy. This guy will have been given such a low handicap, I assume, because he lives in California and probably won't have played too many rounds in the UK over the last two years.

D

Deleted member 1147

Interesting you refer to 'better than scratch' golfers as having a Plus Handicap (and signify is accordingly) - as indeed I do - yet most it seems show such handicaps as a negative number - even although we ADD such handicaps to their gross score. But I'm with you. So accordingly the lowest handicap at my place is our rising star - 16 yr old lass off Plus 4 :)
It's always been called a plus handicap as far as I recall, hence putting a +, rather than a -

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sandy Scott is lowest at ours i think he is plus 5. somonthing, he is the leading ranked UK player in the world rankings at the moment

D

Deleted member 18588

Rather like my Club where the lowest handicap is +4, held by a young female currently at college in the States, as is her sister whose handicap is +3.

Also have a reinstated ex-Tour pro (male) off +4 but the young lady pips him by 0.3

D

Deleted member 3432

That will be Southerness, you don't see many level par rounds around there. Course record off the back tees is 66.

Played their 36 scratch many times and the winning score is always 'over par'. It may be par 69 but the SSS of 73 (74 Blue tees) is very fair and is often higher when the wind blows as it often does.

It has quite a few plus handicaps as the better players in the area hold membership there.

Ssshank

Visit site
Interesting... looks like some ego handicaps have formed.

There are two guys who are now off 1 and 0.4 despite not having shot below 78 in a comp.

They've recently added some social rounds where their scores are drastically lower.

No idea why you'd want to do that, doubt they'll be entering many comps.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently there is a well known American golfer who has an index of 2.9 but only 1 score recorded in the last 2 years despite evidence he has played at least 160 rounds. Some PGA Tour players he has played with reckon he is a 9 or 10.

He is about to lose his job, although he is still trying to hang on to it, so may have more time to record scores.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's always been called a plus handicap as far as I recall, hence putting a +, rather than a -
It's definitely changed now by the looks of it. It was always + but in the members list on Howdidido it's minus now if you're better than scratch. ?‍♂️

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two at 4 at my club but not sure what they will be now under the WHS.

Used to play with a 3 at my old club most weeks. To me they are a world away from my game. Would love to play a round with a plus Handicap just to see the difference again.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rather like my Club where the lowest handicap is +4, held by a young female currently at college in the States, as is her sister whose handicap is +3.

Also have a reinstated ex-Tour pro (male) off +4 but the young lady pips him by 0.3
Likewise - I believe our lass is very likely off to the States (maybe year after next?) and has just told us that her HI is +5.4 :eek: Not sure I have got my head around how her CH round our track is calculated (our SR is 125)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Our lowest is 0.8 - was off 1.7 beforehand , seems like I’m now the first lowest in the club ?

D

Deleted member 18588

We have two at 4 at my club but not sure what they will be now under the WHS.

Used to play with a 3 at my old club most weeks. To me they are a world away from my game. Would love to play a round with a plus Handicap just to see the difference again.
A few years ago I played with a young member at our club who was at college in the States and was ranked No: 3 in the official World Amateur Golf rankings, his handicap was +5.

To paraphrase the late Bobby Jones he played a game with which I was not familiar. Not just the physical playing but also his course management and I had known him since he was 13.

He has been on the Korn Ferry Tour and came within a short putt of gaining his PGA Tour card. Now making a living on mini-tours in USA.

Makes me realise how good the top guys must be.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have someone at our place who is currently listed in WHS as -13.1 :eek::p. Since he's really a 7 handicapper there might just have been a glitch in the system.

Lowest at our place is a lady at -4.3, lowest gent is trailing at -2.8.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Apparently there is a well known American golfer who has an index of 2.9 but only 1 score recorded in the last 2 years despite evidence he has played at least 160 rounds. Some PGA Tour players he has played with reckon he is a 9 or 10.

He is about to lose his job, although he is still trying to hang on to it, so may have more time to record scores.
sounds like a right knob, what line of work is he in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: