Pitching wedge lofts

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to be very interested how my custom fit goes tomorrow to see if they need to adjust any lofts etc. I'll take my gap with me to give an idea on launch mon the actual gap in yards im facing . My pro friend has offered to bend my 50 wedge to 49 , my 54 to 53 and my 58 to 57 if I want £10 the lot so will see.

very tempted to ditch my 3 hybrid as I never use it and get a 46 degree vokey and go technically 5 wedges however their pitch at 43 is really a 9 and their 9 an 8 etc

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The PW on Callaway XR's is 44 deg so when I got my new Cleveland wedges I went for a 50 & 56 which seems to work pretty well. I did carefully consider the lofts and gapping before buying. I didn't see the need for a lob wedge.
As a comparison, the PW on my old Mizuno MX-900's was 46 deg.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
My Ping Eye2 Wedge is 50 degrees and my Cleveland 588 Wedges are 56 and 60.

Actually on the original Eye2's the loft gap is 5 degrees on some of the shorter irons that I find are ideal for me and there is no loft bunching on the longer clubs. I can hit the 4 just fine but I do carry a 3 hybrid so I go from a 19 degree Hybrid to a 24 degree 4 Iron.

I agree with some other posters here that it is no disadvantage playing clubs with more traditional lofts and there is no need to get "freaked out" when Mr. Jacked Up Lofts tells you he hit less club.

I did have one bad experience where a particularly obnoxious player I was partnered with mocked the fact I use 30 year old irons and putter, 15 year old wedges and 10-15 year old driver and fairway wood. He went on about how its nice to afford new gear, what an advantage it is and even how my clubs lower the tone. I just stated all my clubs have been played on the Tour (meaning the models) and they fit me. I then beat him!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The PW on Callaway XR's is 44 deg so when I got my new Cleveland wedges I went for a 50 & 56 which seems to work pretty well. I did carefully consider the lofts and gapping before buying. I didn't see the need for a lob wedge.
As a comparison, the PW on my old Mizuno MX-900's was 46 deg.

interesting that you play with a similar gap, I think the best course of action is to judge over the off season, go for the fitting and if I come out with the lofts standard see how it affects me with that gap. I may cope alright like you do

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They are. These clubs came with a calibration certificate when new,

Del...these clubs are 30 years old.
If they had any use at the course or the range the lofts may have been altered as, let's face it, you're hitting the ground with them.
You can't guarantee that those lofts are still correct.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still thinking about changing my wedge set up, if not for the change of lofts, then for new grooves. My Ping ones are several years old and given the work I've put in this year on the short game, their grooves must be wearing now. Hoping some newer ones will give more control, which surely has to be good for scoring

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still thinking about changing my wedge set up, if not for the change of lofts, then for new grooves. My Ping ones are several years old and given the work I've put in this year on the short game, their grooves must be wearing now. Hoping some newer ones will give more control, which surely has to be good for scoring

im almost tempted to see how much AG will offer for my almost new vokey wedges.. all 3 of them.. if its "double" could just get the SM6 and change my wedge lofts on all them lol

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im almost tempted to see how much AG will offer for my almost new vokey wedges.. all 3 of them.. if its "double" could just get the SM6 and change my wedge lofts on all them lol

Go to pga.com > equipment > research club values

Based on my experience a couple of days ago, they'll offer roughly 25% more than the $ valuation in £.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are. These clubs came with a calibration certificate when new,

I wouldn't put much faith in that to be honest.

Last year I ordered new clubs from Titleist, but they were out of stock of the T-MB heads so sent my irons first then the 4 iron about 2 months later.

I got the certificates for both with the first delivery.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vokey sm5 54 loft arrived today.. no serial number sticker on it however everything else looks indentical to my 50 gap I got from a pro shop. Grip is vokey and smells indenical.. (online said that)

the 58 degree arrives soon but got that from an eBay pro shop rather than a seller

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went down AG tonight.. had a fitting / Lesson lol corrected a part of my swing and then we compared my current 7 iron against a new ping, and the titliest 716 AP1s. both graphite and steel shafts to compare.. the results were regular shaft.. and AP1s were straightest and slightly longer

compared their PW to my gap wedge and there is only 10 yards in it so can live with that

got £224 for my ping G15 4 to SW then bought 4 to PW in the AP1s cost me £340 in all

also my 54 arrived today.. 58 arrives monday.. the set is almost complete

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Del...these clubs are 30 years old.
If they had any use at the course or the range the lofts may have been altered as, let's face it, you're hitting the ground with them.
You can't guarantee that those lofts are still correct.....

They are cast rather than forged irons, so I doubt that they have changed. Certainly the gaps seemed very consistent when I played them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have to admit, I had to Google my own iron set to see what the lofts were :mad:

588cb_zps6ypdgujj.jpg

I can't even Google mine, they don't come up. I could get them measured, but in reality, I don't really give a stuff, they work fine. They are what they are, and it works just fine.

D

Deleted member 21258

Really, I'd be surprised, back in 2002, 46 degree pitching wedges were rare. Possible though I guess.

And they are very nice to look at. In the right hands, they would be awesome.

My X14s were 2000ish and due to this thread and the take off all jacked up lofts, I searched for the spec of these :-

http://www.equip2golf.com/specifica...ml?callaway/callaway_x14_steelhead.html~specs

PW is 46.5 as well but still higher than a lot of PW around today, but do get the different launching going on with some modern clubs.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My X14s were 2000ish and due to this thread and the take off all jacked up lofts, I searched for the spec of these :-

http://www.equip2golf.com/specifica...ml?callaway/callaway_x14_steelhead.html~specs

PW is 46.5 as well but still higher than a lot of PW around today, but do get the different launching going on with some modern clubs.

Thing is, I get loft creep with cavity backs, but my x blades are proper muscle backs, very traditional, and I would be very surprised if the lofts were that strong. There's no need for it, as there's no tech trying to give a high launch that needs compensating for.