What loft for gap wedge?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have never, ever been concerned about putting too much backspin on and losing it off the front edge. Never. :ROFLMAO:
Oooh, come and have a game at my club and you could do it on our 9th, 10th, 17th and 18th upsloping greens.
9th is the most severe - land it on the front third and if it doesn't move forwards enough after first impact it will roll off front left leaving a very tricky shot from below the green.
Happens to all of us regularly - all handicaps all abilities.
Shortest par 4 on the course, iron from the tee and lofted club second shot.
I have a favourite spot that I try to get to off the tee where I will be "doing a Poulter" with a 42° club from around 100 yards. I can hit a 52° club 100 yards.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oooh, come and have a game at my club and you could do it on our 9th, 10th, 17th and 18th upsloping greens.
9th is the most severe - land it on the front third and if it doesn't move forwards enough after first impact it will roll off front left leaving a very tricky shot from below the green.
I have a favourite spot that I try to get to off the tee where I will be "doing a Poulter" with a 42° club from around 100 yards. I can hit a 52° club 100 yards.
I don't know if you missed what I meant, but I can't hit a ball with any backspin. At best it may hit the ground and stop there. If there's a false front then I'll just go up a club and aim for the back. No fannying about trying to hit it 3 quarters and take spin off it, or whatever.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don't know if you missed what I meant, but I can't hit a ball with any backspin. At best it may hit the ground and stop there. If there's a false front then I'll just go up a club and aim for the back. No fannying about trying to hit it 3 quarters and take spin off it, or whatever.
Did you skip over this bit

Going off the back on that hole is worse place than off the front. It is a great short par-4 SI 11.
Second shot is not so much about spin as judging landing place and how the ball will move after landing - spin does play some part of course.
I must have played the hole nearly 2,000 times and seen plenty more shots played to it.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know if you missed what I meant, but I can't hit a ball with any backspin.
My understanding is everyone hits the ball with back spin, it's just that you don't have enough to overcome it's forward momentum enough to move it backwards.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding is everyone hits the ball with back spin, it's just that you don't have enough to overcome it's forward momentum enough to move it backwards.
With the work I am doing on all my irons (a more committed and accurate strike), if I get it right I am finding that I’m hitting my gap/utility wedge both a good bit higher and a bit further…and not surprisingly the ball is stopping a bit quicker. As a result I’m having to adjust my distances and be more aware of overhitting the green when there is a back flag. An adjustment and thinking I am glad to have.

Last edited:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the P790 irons 4-PW.

PW is about 140 I then have 47, 50,54 and 58 wedges. All seem to have about a 10 yard gap between them.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
45° PW, 50°GW, 55°SW and 60°LW.
I have recently been practicing the clock face approach and have found it very useful. I will still keep all the wedges in the bag for a) psychological comfort 😉 and b) it's quite nice to also hit same distance with two clubs, but one has more height and more stopping power. Some situations call for run out and some for stop.
It's working for me.