48 degree wedge?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got srixon z565 irons and the pitching wedge is 44 degrees. I hit my PW around 120 - 125, but my gap wedge (52 degree) only about 100 - 105 ish. That's a huge gap that I'm struggling to get to grips with, hitting half shots makes golf even harder.

However, 48 degree wedges don't seem to be common, am I doing something wrong? Should I be getting more out of my gap wedge? I can't be alone with this issue, I don't think 44 / 45 degree pitching wedges are uncommon these days.

I'm reluctant to replace all of my wedges, currently have 52, 56 and 60. Maybe swap the 52 for a 50?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gap wedges as part of iron sets seem to be becoming more common, but most brands of wedges now do lofts to 46 or 48. Stronger PW lofts have made them necessary. I would look at a 48 in the same brand as your 52.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Wilson D9 strong lofts caused me to get a 5th wedge! Its going to become more common for sure!

PW (D9) - 42 deg
GW (D9) - 47 deg

Is my setup now!

I dont carry a 4 iron to split the difference!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you - had a look on AG website, they didn't seem to have many 48 degrees at all. I'll look into it further! Probably at the expense of my 60 degree....hardly use that, always feel there's too much danger involved!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
My distances are different (I'm shorter) but had a similar problem - following advice on here and from the pro at the shop, kept my 43* PW, and have 48*,54* and 60* vokeys (generally a 6* gap). You could carry 4 wedges, you could change 2 (52 & 56 for 48 & 54) or you could change one - how often do you use the 56?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. PW from iron set is 44 degrees, goes about 120. 50° gap wedge goes 100. I ended up buying a 46° wedge. Even though it's only 2° out from the PW, it goes around 110 and fills the gap. So effectively I have two pitching wedges, but that's game improvement irons for you.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got srixon z565 irons and the pitching wedge is 44 degrees. I hit my PW around 120 - 125, but my gap wedge (52 degree) only about 100 - 105 ish. That's a huge gap that I'm struggling to get to grips with, hitting half shots makes golf even harder.

However, 48 degree wedges don't seem to be common, am I doing something wrong? Should I be getting more out of my gap wedge? I can't be alone with this issue, I don't think 44 / 45 degree pitching wedges are uncommon these days.

I'm reluctant to replace all of my wedges, currently have 52, 56 and 60. Maybe swap the 52 for a 50?

my titleist t200s gap wedge option with the set was 48 degree. your srixon irons would probably be the same can you not get a z565 gap wedge separately?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My distances are different (I'm shorter) but had a similar problem - following advice on here and from the pro at the shop, kept my 43* PW, and have 48*,54* and 60* vokeys (generally a 6* gap). You could carry 4 wedges, you could change 2 (52 & 56 for 48 & 54) or you could change one - how often do you use the 56?

56 is my go to bunker club, but other than that, I don't use it very much to be honest. I use my 52 a lot, possibly more than I should, but it's the club I feel most comfortable with.

I think I've got two options.... add a 48 in place of the 60, or replace the 52 with a 50, I think I prefer getting a 48 as I like my 52 and I rarely use the 60

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my titleist t200s gap wedge option with the set was 48 degree. your srixon irons would probably be the same can you not get a z565 gap wedge separately?

I think they did sell an "Approach wedge" with 50 degrees of loft, but struggling to find one. I agree, that could be a good option

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An aside to this as I love my golf history…

We carry 14 clubs as back in the day before the limit of 14 was applied players could have as many clubs in the bag as they wished. Indeed the wealthy top amateurs (until the 50s pros were still generally poor second class citizens in the world of golf) would often carry 20+ clubs, indeed in his early days playing the great amateur Lawson Little often carried 26 clubs including 10 wedges. The poor caddies could barely lifit the bag.

The limit was imposed to prevent wealthy players such as Little pretty much always having the exact club for any shot, thereby removing much of the skill there is in adapting the shot played to the clubs available and conversely losing the need to be versatile in use of the clubs available.

As it happens I only carry 13, inc 4 wedges. I have left a spare slot in my bag if in time I discover there is a gap to be filled.

Last edited:

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you and I have been for a while. I know vokey 48 degree wedge is classed a pitching wedge, hopefully that helps.

I'm looking for a sm7 48 degree but I want a graphite shaft on it which seems to be like gold dust. If anyone could point me in the direction of one I'd be grateful

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Cleveland do a 48° degree wedge as i had one

peld

Visit site
Find a local club builder and get the 52 bent to 50 and maybe add half an inch.
not as easy as that as it will change the bounce significantly - bounce will decrease and you end up with a club perfect for chunks and massive divots!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quite a few Cm offer a gap or A wedge, esp if the PW is a strong loft.

I've had to change this year, had a 52 as my gap, but finding I have a big gap between that and my pw since ditching the blades

I've had a 50 bent to 49 and that has done the trick.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just remember that you don't always have to hit full shots! Learning to hit 1/2 and/or 3/4 shots can be beneficial
Something like a 3/4 8 or 9 iron could well be right for that distance.