Wedgie question

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got my new irons that go from pw to 5 iron so I’m without wedges the now I still have my 60 degree so I can get round a course still. I was planning to go for a fitting for the new volkeys sm9 next week booked in for Wednesday and guy said they will take upto 6 weeks. Someone I know have 3 brand new volkey sm8 still in the wrapper in 48, 52 and 58. My pitching wedge is 44 degrees and I can get they sm8 wedges Monday would just need to change the grips.
Can you buy wedges going just on the degrees alone or should you always go for a fitting?
Dont fancy waiting 6 weeks plus last years sm8 I can pick all 3 up for just under £300
In short, absolutely - go for it.

Done fittings before, my current ones are off the shelf.

Virtually no one does a proper fitting for wedges in the UK. E.g at St Ives Titleist you’d be hitting them off the mat.

Also wedges are not for full shots so less “loading” on shafts = less important.

Their “feel” is mostly about the weight which can be adjusted(added) by some led tape.

The only thing I’d recommend checking is the grind/bounce on the ones from your friend. Wouldn’t recommend low bounce L grind :).

F grind for 48, D/K or maybe even M would be OK for 52 and 58. Bounce - 10 or higher.

Hope it helps.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I don't use my lob wedge for full shots but often use my pitching, gap and 54 for full shots.

Unless you practice loads, controlling distance is easier with a full shot.

Yesterday I hit a good drive on our shortest par 4, 325 yards.
About 50 yards from the pin.
Green has a narrow entrance and steep fringe. I swithered about what to do, tried to run it up, came up short of the green.
If I had 85 or 100 to go, I would have had a better result.

Skytot

Visit site
My apologies for hijacking this thread . I’ve recently got back into golf and spent a fortune lately so now on a bit of a budget what I spend . I’ve been thinking of replacing my 30 yr old sand wedge with the Kirkland wedge set £150 for 50, 54, 60 or do I wait and save up for Ping Glide or Vokeys . If I do buy the set I still need a PW

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In short, absolutely - go for it.

Done fittings before, my current ones are off the shelf.

Virtually no one does a proper fitting for wedges in the UK. E.g at St Ives Titleist you’d be hitting them off the mat.

Also wedges are not for full shots so less “loading” on shafts = less important.

Their “feel” is mostly about the weight which can be adjusted(added) by some led tape.

The only thing I’d recommend checking is the grind/bounce on the ones from your friend. Wouldn’t recommend low bounce L grind :).

F grind for 48, D/K or maybe even M would be OK for 52 and 58. Bounce - 10 or higher.

Hope it helps.

I also wouldn't recommend the L low bounce options. There is very little margin for error when using them. You need to be so precise.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One last question. I asked the pro selling them If they had stiff shafts and he said there just wedge shafts what does that mean ? Reason he said that he had them in the back was because I had said I ended up with clubs 1 inch longer than standard and I’m actually hitting them better and have better posture in my golf swing now and he said hang on I have 3 wedges 1 inch longer someone ordered but never collected a while ago.

wedge flex has meant different things at different times and with different manufacturers.
In the main it means a stiff shaft and at one time it was reckoned to be the equivalent of TTDG S400 ( a heavier shaft than TTDGS300)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you practice loads, controlling distance is easier with a full shot.

Yesterday I hit a good drive on our shortest par 4, 325 yards.
About 50 yards from the pin.
Green has a narrow entrance and steep fringe. I swithered about what to do, tried to run it up, came up short of the green.
If I had 85 or 100 to go, I would have had a better result.

50yds?
bottom of the grip,
9-3

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When I bought my g425 (44.5 PW), I ordered the gap wedge (50) and a 54 and 58 with the same shaft, lie and grip as my irons.
Great set up. 58 for me is the ideal sand/lob wedge. The gorge wedges are mid bounce, 10 degrees I think.
Same as I have. Mostly use 54 for bunker play as it has higher bounce; 58 for lobbing. And love my Utility/Gap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Got my new irons that go from pw to 5 iron so I’m without wedges the now I still have my 60 degree so I can get round a course still. I was planning to go for a fitting for the new volkeys sm9 next week booked in for Wednesday and guy said they will take upto 6 weeks. Someone I know have 3 brand new volkey sm8 still in the wrapper in 48, 52 and 58. My pitching wedge is 44 degrees and I can get they sm8 wedges Monday would just need to change the grips.
Can you buy wedges going just on the degrees alone or should you always go for a fitting?
Dont fancy waiting 6 weeks plus last years sm8 I can pick all 3 up for just under £300
To me, fitting for wedges is more important than fittings for irons (possibly because I can tell what I will get on with in irons). I believe the reason it's not done is purely 'effort vs profit'! Getting the bounce/grind(s) correct for your style is the important thing - even if it means having different attributes in the 'set'.
That said, those vokeys are likely to be set up reasonably appropriately, especially at your level - you will rapidly find the one(s) that work best for particular situations but make sure there's a 'high-bounce' one for use from bunkers. Doesn't seem much of a 'great deal' though...worth haggling?

G1z1

Visit site
I took the wedges, just dropped new grips off so my grips are all the same and will pick them up tomorrow. Was just happy to get wedges right away hopefully there fine. Just need them for half shots and little chips round the greens never hit my old ones on a full swing would prefer a half shot with irons instead. The bounce is 10 on them all I think he said.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think wedges are massively important to get fitted, especially titleist as they offer so many grinds and bounces.

If the SM8 are standard bounce and grinds then take a ping you will get away with them.

If they are a exotic bounce and grind then I wouldn’t gamble..

I think a lot of players get confused and lost regarding bounce and in particular grinds. Bounce is important but for most handicap golfers who perhaps don't ever work on the short game are the different grinds going to make that much difference

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What about paying for the fitters time and trying the same spec, if they meet the criteria then buy your pals.

Everyone is happy

G1z1

Visit site
What about paying for the fitters time and trying the same spec, if they meet the criteria then buy your pals.

Everyone is happy
AC7E17AE-21BF-4F7A-AFD8-C28A12CBE9B3.jpeg
already picked them up today, what does the letters F and S mean ? its Been weird playing last few days with just a LW so definitely didn’t want to wait 6 weeks.