Wedgie question

G1z1

Visit site
Got my new irons that go from pw to 5 iron so I’m without wedges the now I still have my 60 degree so I can get round a course still. I was planning to go for a fitting for the new volkeys sm9 next week booked in for Wednesday and guy said they will take upto 6 weeks. Someone I know have 3 brand new volkey sm8 still in the wrapper in 48, 52 and 58. My pitching wedge is 44 degrees and I can get they sm8 wedges Monday would just need to change the grips.
Can you buy wedges going just on the degrees alone or should you always go for a fitting?
Dont fancy waiting 6 weeks plus last years sm8 I can pick all 3 up for just under £300

D

Deleted member 15344

Got my new irons that go from pw to 5 iron so I’m without wedges the now I still have my 60 degree so I can get round a course still. I was planning to go for a fitting for the new volkeys sm9 next week booked in for Wednesday and guy said they will take upto 6 weeks. Someone I know have 3 brand new volkey sm8 still in the wrapper in 48, 52 and 58. My pitching wedge is 44 degrees and I can get they sm8 wedges Monday would just need to change the grips.
Can you buy wedges going just on the degrees alone or should you always go for a fitting?
Dont fancy waiting 6 weeks plus last years sm8 I can pick all 3 up for just under £300

don’t think I have ever been fitted with wedges - tried a few and then gone with what felt nice and fitted in with the set of irons loft wise

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My PW is 46d. My next club is 52d.
If I bought a set with a 44d PW, then I would go 50d, 56d for two more wedges.

I have a 1960s set that has a 49d 9-iron. Just go straight to a 56d SW with that set and I'm carrying only one "wedge".

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The main thing I have done with off the shelf wedges is to have the lie altered.
On some of my wedges I have changed the wedge flex shaft to R300 but it does seem to make that much difference.

Personally at that price I would just go for the SM8 and save yourself over £200 (Vokeys can be adjusted by a small amount as they are soft cast and not hard cast).

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve found with wedges it’s not just the lofts that are important, but also wise to consider the bounce and the grinds.

For me, no point buying the SM8 options if the bounces and grinds aren’t right for your swing/course.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I couldn't get on with the SM8s, so I would maybe see if you can find a club or vendor with a demo club and at least try one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I were the OP I would concentrate on getting some general play cards in to reduce his ridiculous 24 handicap before the comps start. No point having new clubs if his playing partners wrap them round his neck for coming in with medal scores in the 50s???

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
If I were the OP I would concentrate on getting some general play cards in to reduce his ridiculous 24 handicap before the comps start. No point having new clubs if his playing partners wrap them round his neck for coming in with medal scores in the 50s???

???

RichA

Visit site
I was similar HI to you a year ago and bought a new set of irons with a 44.5° PW.
I bought Ping Glide 50° and 56° wedges in the same length and lie angle as the irons and they've been great. I can recommend less being more. I don't feel like I'm missing any distances and I'm certainly not faffing about deciding which wedge to go with.
Lots of higher handicap golfers at our place duffing chips around with their bag full of pretty Vokeys.
A similar number of lower handicap golfers who have practiced to be extremely skilful with just a gap and sand wedge.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve found with wedges it’s not just the lofts that are important, but also wise to consider the bounce and the grinds.

For me, no point buying the SM8 options if the bounces and grinds aren’t right for your swing/course.

With Vokey the 48 and 52 only come in one grind option but the 52 has two bounce options but not sure I would want a 52 with a 12 degree bounce

https://www.vokey.com/explained/wedge-grinds#

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got fitted for my Ping gorge wedges I still have in the bag. Bought the original version of the current Ping glides off the shelf but always struggled. I would definitely test before I buy if possible but no need to necessarily get fitted

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve been for a wedge fitting at Titleist. It was basically a few full swings to measure attack angle to recommend a bounce for the strongest loft, then a few chips from various lies around a green with different bounce/grind combinations to discover what did and didn’t work for me.

I feel it was worthwhile but wouldn’t go again as I now know what suits me. If you have no idea about what bounce and grinds you like it’s worth it imo. Playing certain shots with a wedge that doesn’t suit you can drain your confidence and make you think you’re no good.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I don't really see the point in getting fitted for wedges unless it's on the course you play or just for gapping purposes.

Hitting wedges on a mat that bears no resemblance to the turf you will be hitting from can't be that helpful on deciding on bounce and grind.

G1z1

Visit site
One last question. I asked the pro selling them If they had stiff shafts and he said there just wedge shafts what does that mean ? Reason he said that he had them in the back was because I had said I ended up with clubs 1 inch longer than standard and I’m actually hitting them better and have better posture in my golf swing now and he said hang on I have 3 wedges 1 inch longer someone ordered but never collected a while ago.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I bought my g425 (44.5 PW), I ordered the gap wedge (50) and a 54 and 58 with the same shaft, lie and grip as my irons.
Great set up. 58 for me is the ideal sand/lob wedge. The gorge wedges are mid bounce, 10 degrees I think.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I think wedges are massively important to get fitted, especially titleist as they offer so many grinds and bounces.

If the SM8 are standard bounce and grinds then take a ping you will get away with them.

If they are a exotic bounce and grind then I wouldn’t gamble..