48 degree wedge?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just remember that you don't always have to hit full shots! Learning to hit 1/2 and/or 3/4 shots can be beneficial
Something like a 3/4 8 or 9 iron could well be right for that distance.

That’s true, of course, and I have been doing it to deal with the 20 yard gap I have at the moment, I just feel that it’s a bigger gap than I should have. It’s easily remedied by tweaking my bag set up.

Golf is hard enough without huge gaps at the business end of the bag.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That’s true, of course, and I have been doing it to deal with the 20 yard gap I have at the moment, I just feel that it’s a bigger gap than I should have. It’s easily remedied by tweaking my bag set up.

Golf is hard enough without huge gaps at the business end of the bag.
No probs as it's your choice, so what's most comfortable/works best likely IS best. It's just that 'only' having specific distances (full swing ones) rather than a variety means the 'touch' that's so important to the very short game (to put the ball 1-putt length) suffers.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No probs as it's your choice, so what's most comfortable/works best likely IS best. It's just that 'only' having specific distances (full swing ones) rather than a variety means the 'touch' that's so important to the very short game (to put the ball 1-putt length) suffers.

I don't see the relation between the two. There will always be gaps, but 20 yards is too much. Doesn't mean I only ever play full shots though.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had the same issue when I got my Callaway's as the pitching wedge is 44°, so I went for a 50° and 56° wedges. I've since added a 60°. The strengthening of the iron lofts means that you use less long irons but more short one. The longest iron I have is my 5 iron but that's 23°

Jason.H

Visit site
Just remember that you don't always have to hit full shots! Learning to hit 1/2 and/or 3/4 shots can be beneficial
Something like a 3/4 8 or 9 iron could well be right for that distance.
I agree, i rarely hit a full wedge. It’s more 3/4 and quality of strike. I’ve 2 distances for each of my irons and wedges.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of 48 or 50 degree wedges around. I think as a starting point, get your numbers on a launch monitor to see how far each wedge goes and then hit the PW and see how big the gap is exactly. At least you'll know what you are looking for then. From a purely personal perspective I'd drop the 60. You could then add a 50 and 52 and have all gaps covered. They are the scoring clubs so as many options as possible seems sensible (to me at least)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup I have a 48 degree vokey. Bought new for £65 and it’s a wand. In fact today is the first time throughout winter I have been able to use it without digging a trench. Was bouncing lovely.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Plenty of 48 or 50 degree wedges around. I think as a starting point, get your numbers on a launch monitor to see how far each wedge goes and then hit the PW and see how big the gap is exactly. At least you'll know what you are looking for then. From a purely personal perspective I'd drop the 60. You could then add a 50 and 52 and have all gaps covered. They are the scoring clubs so as many options as possible seems sensible (to me at least)

Have you read my post? I have a 52 already....

I don’t wish to be rude, but it feels like you’re trotting out a generic reply without consideration for the question asked and the detail provided as the thread has developed.

My data is real world, better than launch monitor, it’s on course from my watch.

From what everyone else has said, seems there is a growing market for 48 degree wedges, and that’s the route I’ll go down.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m in the 5 wedge club.
My PW goes 140
47 goes 130
50 goes 120
54 goes 110
58 goes 100.
other end I only have driver 5wood then 4iron to keep it to 14

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m in the 5 wedge club.
My PW goes 140
47 goes 130
50 goes 120
54 goes 110
58 goes 100.
other end I only have driver 5wood then 4iron to keep it to 14

My distances aren’t anything like that, but the gap between your pw and 50 backs up my gap between pw and 52.

48 definitely seems sensible. My
Worry was that I was doing something wrong and should be getting more from the 52, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

D

Deleted member 1740

Have you read my post? I have a 52 already....

I don’t wish to be rude, but it feels like you’re trotting out a generic reply without consideration for the question asked and the detail provided as the thread has developed.

My data is real world, better than launch monitor, it’s on course from my watch.

From what everyone else has said, seems there is a growing market for 48 degree wedges, and that’s the route I’ll go down.

The Alarms will be ringing ??

A 4 wedge set up makes my head hurt, far too many options to duff my shots.

Good luck Canary.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My distances aren’t anything like that, but the gap between your pw and 50 backs up my gap between pw and 52.

48 definitely seems sensible. My
Worry was that I was doing something wrong and should be getting more from the 52, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.
It might just be the shaft on the 52 dosnt suit you as much as your PW.
By trying to hit it harder to get a bit more distance it just goes higher.
A 48 with the same shaft head set up as your irons is the way to go.

Brads

Visit site
I have no idea if my experience helps or not.
I have just started playing and am not a long hitter but bought T300 5 to PW
Got fitted by a Titleist fitter and ended up with a 48deg T300 and an SM 9 56 deg

The T300 48 felt amazing to hit.

The SM9 was the wedge the guy said I should be hitting everything between 90yrds and 10 yrds

Jason.H

Visit site
I've got srixon z565 irons and the pitching wedge is 44 degrees. I hit my PW around 120 - 125, but my gap wedge (52 degree) only about 100 - 105 ish. That's a huge gap that I'm struggling to get to grips with, hitting half shots makes golf even harder.

However, 48 degree wedges don't seem to be common, am I doing something wrong? Should I be getting more out of my gap wedge? I can't be alone with this issue, I don't think 44 / 45 degree pitching wedges are uncommon these days.

I'm reluctant to replace all of my wedges, currently have 52, 56 and 60. Maybe swap the 52 for a 50?

Depending on you’re 52, you could just get that bent to 50 to eek out a bit more distance. Moving hands up or down the grip to change distance makes a difference just takes practice. Or just buy a shiny new club.