What loft for gap wedge?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know who he is but he talks alot of sense. (y)
One for low shots
One for medium shots
One for high shots
What can possibly go wrong.

For the OP....
How much further do you think a 50 deg P790 will go compared to a Vokey 50?

Have to admit I use my stock pw as like a 9 iron.. with the 9 like an 8 and so on

Any half shots are done with the 50 and 56

60 is my emergency/ bunker club for instant height

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a Pitch @ 46, Gap wedge @ 52 and Lob wedge @ 58
That's my current set up. I do like only 2 wedges after my pw. Sometimes feel like there's a slight gap between PW and 52. PW is probably 125, and probably 110 at most with 52. Feel I get caught often around the 115 mark, either trying to hammer the 52 or babying the PW but not executing either shot great.
My other thought if changing irons was to go again with a set like an Ap2 where it's more traditional lofts where PW would be 46, then go 50 & 56. Think I'd be ok with 56 as highest loft

RichA

Visit site
My current pitching wedge is 47°. No gap wedge - just straight up to 54° and that's it. Keep it simple.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My current pitching wedge is 47°. No gap wedge - just straight up to 54° and that's it. Keep it simple.

Do you find because your pitching is a more traditional loft the need for a gap is reduced? I mean it's only a 7 degree gap and say you then had a 60 it would be pretty even

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
46, 52, 56 for me

Slight digression but I dunno about you but I would much prefer I'd manufacturers printed loft on their clubs instead or aswell as numbers (like Hogans use to wasn't it?)

I mean wedges majority now are 50 52 54 58 60 and so on

Would be good to have an entire set like that

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Slight digression but I dunno about you but I would much prefer I'd manufacturers printed loft on their clubs instead or aswell as numbers (like Hogans use to wasn't it?)

I mean wedges majority now are 50 52 54 58 60 and so on

Would be good to have an entire set like that

I think it’s pretty much irrelevant so long as you know how far each one goes. I know a full pitching wedge (46) is 125 yards, then it’s pretty much +10 yards for each iron as I go down the set. A perfect 7 iron carries 165, so in reality on a calm day I’m hitting 7 iron from 155 on the course to allow for a non perfect strike.

Anything sub 100 yards, the club will depend on the situation.

RichA

Visit site
Do you find because your pitching is a more traditional loft the need for a gap is reduced? I mean it's only a 7 degree gap and say you then had a 60 it would be pretty even
Yep. Plus everything under 100 yards I'm happy that I can (theoretically) cover with the 54° or my 8-iron.
The more I'm struggling, the more I'm striving to make my game as simple as possible. Fewer clubs is always my target.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
or babying the PW but not executing either shot great.
That's your problem right there.
Babying is a no no.
Hold the club further down the grip then swing normally, that will take some yards off.
Or use a 3/4 swing/half swing and swing normally, that will also take some yards off.
Or both.
It will take a bit of practice but in the end your PW wont be 125, it will be 80-125...depending which grip and swing you use.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's your problem right there.
Babying is a no no.
Hold the club further down the grip then swing normally, that will take some yards off.
Or use a 3/4 swing/half swing and swing normally, that will also take some yards off.
Or both.
It will take a bit of practice but in the end your PW wont be 125, it will be 80-125...depending which grip and swing you use.
Thanks, I'd agree it's probably something I need to practice if I want to get handicap down a bit more.
Also it would probably mean sticking with a PW at 46 like my current set up and just adding a 50 & 56 which should mean less indecision over what club to hit

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks, I'd agree it's probably something I need to practice if I want to get handicap down a bit more.
Also it would probably mean sticking with a PW at 46 like my current set up and just adding a 50 & 56 which should mean less indecision over what club to hit
PW
Top of the grip full swing=125
Middle of the grip full swing=120
Bottom of the grip full swing=115

Top of the grip 3/4 swing=110
Middle of the grip 3/4 swing=105
Bottom of the grip 3/4 swing=100

Top of the grip 1/2 swing=90
Middle of the grip 1/2 swing=85
Bottom of the grip 1/2 swing=80

9 different yardages for one club
And some people carry 5 wedges 😵‍💫

The yardages I've used are totally made up and yours will be totally different but you get the idea.
Write them down on a piece of paper and tape it to your wedge if you need to for future reference.
When used with a laser, your birdie puts will get shorter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PW

The yardages I've used are totally made up and yours will be totally different but you get the idea.
Write them down on a piece of paper and tape it to your wedge if you need to for future reference.

Have to admit this is kinda what I'm working towards , just using the 50 and 56 wedge

50 for low , 56 high

I'm comfortable with half shots with them but don't like using my pitch for them. Dunno why just feels more controllable with the 50

The 60 as I said earlier I mainly use it as a bunker club , half swing full speed up and out comfortably

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
PW

Great advice, thanks for that.

Springveldt

Visit site
My PW is 45 (i500) then I have 3 vokey wedges at 50, 54 and 58. To be honest I could probably get rid of the 54 and 58 to be replaced with a single 56 as I barely use them as they are usually only used in specific instances and I can go rounds without using one or the other. I use the PW a lot between 125 and 70 if there is nothing in the way and use the 50 a lot between 70 and greenside. I really only use the 54 for a bad lie in the rough or a lot of sand in the bunker (has a high bounce) and the 58 for anything that I need to stop quick if I've short sided myself.

The wedges are getting a bit old now (SM5, 6 and 7) so I've been thinking about replacing them with some Callaway ones from the preowned site as I'm not paying £159 for a Vokey wedge.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
PW is 45 and SW at 56, both from the iron 'set' so after a couple of years with this set up I bought a bladed 50 wedge as my GW and its so versatile I don't even take the 56 onto the course anymore
The only shot the 56 is better suited for is those short chips off fairway, close to green with a tight pin... but faced with that shot I'd probably putt it anyway, so the 50 GW is my most lofted club

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
PW is 45 and SW at 56, both from the iron 'set' so after a couple of years with this set up I bought a bladed 50 wedge as my GW and its so versatile I don't even take the 56 onto the course anymore
The only shot the 56 is better suited for is those short chips off fairway, close to green with a tight pin... but faced with that shot I'd probably putt it anyway, so the 50 GW is my most lofted club
No bunkers ?
Would have thought at least 54 is needed from sand even if its only a short or two, or even none a round ?

Teebs

Visit site
I230 PW - 45°
I230 GW - 50°
Ping Glide 4 54°
Vokey SM9 58°

PW can go between 85 and 130 yards
GW is 100
54° is for around the greens, bunkers and full shots around 85y
58° is for flop shots and bunkers mainly.

All options covered