How many wedges are in your bag?

golferannasmith

Banned
Visit site
1. 50 Degree Gap Wedge: My go-to 100-yard club. Allows me to hit full-swing shots around the green with spin and control.

2. 56 Degree Sand Wedge: Gets me out of the majority of the fairway and greenside bunkers. It's also very handy for lob shots around the greens.

3. 60 Degree Lob Wedge: Extremely high lofted wedge primarily for tricky shots where I need maximum height and soft landings on greens. Not a club I use super frequently, but it serves a purpose in the bag.

Your suggestions? As a golfer, I am always open to take suggestions from everyone.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Since my new PW is 42.5° I guess at the moment I just carry one 'wedge' my 50° gap

Can't recall the last time I specifically need more loft than that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In name I have five. But two are part of the iron set so I don't count them as wedges. True wedges I have three.

A 50° Cleveland CBX Zipcore - roughly 95-100 yards on a full swing, 50 yard pitches on a half swing. I love the forgiveness on the CBXs, I find them much more versatile then the RTXs I had before.
56° Cleveland CBX Zipcore - 75-80 full swing (don't use this shot often though unless the lie is extremely good for it), 35-40 yard pitch half swing, plus chipping around the green if I have to go over a bunker or something.
I have a 60° SureOut for bunkers only, but I've lost faith in it with the hard sand we have at the moment, so it's out of the bag at the moment. Replaced by a temporary Dunlop 60 with 8 degrees of bounce.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. 50 Degree Gap Wedge: My go-to 100-yard club. Allows me to hit full-swing shots around the green with spin and control.

2. 56 Degree Sand Wedge: Gets me out of the majority of the fairway and greenside bunkers. It's also very handy for lob shots around the greens.

3. 60 Degree Lob Wedge: Extremely high lofted wedge primarily for tricky shots where I need maximum height and soft landings on greens. Not a club I use super frequently, but it serves a purpose in the bag.

Your suggestions? As a golfer, I am always open to take suggestions from everyone.
Do you have a PW in your iron set ?
Most are 46* now.

Mine don’t have a PW anymore it has #10 on it.!
Then I have the same as you do. 50/56/60.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My PW is 45° apparently.

The rest go 52, 56 and 60.

I use my 52 a lot around the fringes and it is looking a little worn now. When I change it, this year, next year......I will go to a 50°. That will close the gap to the PW a little but will still be fine for those fringe shots still.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Up until September I technically had 5...

PW - 42
GW - 47

With a change of irons I now plan to remove the GW 47 degree club and add another wood.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have a few sets that are 2-SW, but this is the only set I have that is 1-SW

Petron full set.jpg

The PW is 50° and the SW is a bit extreme at 60°. The 9-iron is 46°.

The most modern set I have is from 2008 and has 9-iron 42°, PW 46° and GW 52°. I stick any more lofted wedge with that set from 56° to 64° depending on course and conditions.

If I were designing or ordering my own set, I would go with 48°, 53° and 58°.
Something like
2 - 20
3 - 24
4 - 28
5 - 32
6 - 36
7 - 40
8 - 44
9 - 48
PW - 53
SW - 58
Leaving room for a driver, two other fairway bashers and a putter.
I would like a matching 16° 1-iron as an option and leave out one fairway basher or the 2-iron sometimes.
1-iron to SW is a full set of irons and there really should be no need for more than 2 wedges. 🧓

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have my set wedge
For me I like 4 just because for me it gives me every option for every scenario.
I practice so much with wedges in many different lies.
The main problem I see is people picking the wrong club for the lie.
Practice is paramount as conditions are changing now.
I also think bounce works differently between soft and hard ground,so I definitely wouldn’t be using high bounce in firm conditions.