Taylormade Hi Toe Big Foot wedges

dronfield

Visit site
Hi

Has anyone tried one of these - anygood?

I currently carry 56/12 and 60/06, but wondered if one Taylormade (only available in 58 or 60) would be sufficient for all greenside bunker play and lob shots?

Use my PW/GW for pitching and so this new club would only be used around the greens.

Both models come with 15 degree bounce which i was worried would be an issue for tight lies and hardpan bunker shots, but video reviews on YT suggest the wider sole on club means such shots are no problem. Looks like you are intended to address all shots with a square clubface (ie, dont open it).

Any thoughts - which loft would be the one to buy?

Rich

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you considered the Callaway Mac Daddy Phil Michelson wedge.
It’s very similar to the high toe but in my opinion much better.
I didn’t like the TM if you opened the face the leading edge came up to much for me.
A 58 with 12 bounce is what I have and it plays any shot you want ,

There’s a new model out so last years are a bit cheaper but basically the same club.
Lots on eBay.

dronfield

Visit site
Have you considered the Callaway Mac Daddy Phil Michelson wedge.
It’s very similar to the high toe but in my opinion much better.
A 58 with 12 bounce is what I have and it plays any shot you want ,

There’s a new model out so last years are a bit cheaper but basically the same club.
Lots on eBay.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill have a look at these and read some reviews.

Do you use this wedge for all bunker / greenside shots - is it ok from wet/compact sand and tight lies?

Where is it better than the new TM option?

Rich

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From wet sand I use my PW as it has less bounce.
Clubs with high bounce are not very good with compacted sand.

The Mac daddy is brilliant you can open the face as much as you like but it takes some serious practice to master this flop shot.
I play my bunker shots (normal sand) square faced with it and it works perfectly.
I have the black ones so no glare.
Tight lies no problem ,in fact it’s perfect but you mustn’t quit on it ,drive through the ball and use the bounce.

It takes a while to get used to the shape and the grooves go all the way to the edge of the face.
But once you are comfortable with it ,it’s the best wedge I have had in 35 yrs playing.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the new Hi Toe Big Foot 60degree and the MG2 in 50 & 56. Awesome wedges.
I couldn’t hit a bunker shot with the face open (to activate the bounce more) but could with standard setup...

The Hi Toe allows me to play bunker shots without opening up but because the big ass bounce it feels like cheating playing out of a bunker!
I’ll admit I should learn to play with the open face more but when there’s something on the market that can help me I thought why not!

dronfield

Visit site
I have the new Hi Toe Big Foot 60degree and the MG2 in 50 & 56. Awesome wedges.
I couldn’t hit a bunker shot with the face open (to activate the bounce more) but could with standard setup...

The Hi Toe allows me to play bunker shots without opening up but because the big ass bounce it feels like cheating playing out of a bunker!
I’ll admit I should learn to play with the open face more but when there’s something on the market that can help me I thought why not!

Glyn - since buying the Hi Toe, is this your "go to club" in bunkers, ie, the 56 is rarely used? Just looking to see if i can carry a 58/60 that covers all bunker and greenside requirements.

The MD3 58 degree looks good with the W grind for bunker play, but this new TM has an even wider sole and all reviews are positive re its various uses.

Rich

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just got the 60 and like it so far... bunkers and around 5he green it’s great.... certainly worth a look....

dronfield

Visit site
Cheers for the advice everyone - i will look further into the options available.

I might be best seeing my club pro and looking to improve my bunker play using the two wedges i currently carry!

Rich