*yawn* Wedges

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was checking out my wedges the other day, the reason for this is I'm much more confident chipping with my R11 gap wedge than my sand wedge. I noticed on the gap wedge where the face meets the sole is much "sharper", on the sand wedge it's more rounded which gets on my nerves when I'm looking down at the ball if that makes sense, I find it harder to nip the ball out.
I generally use a 58* Vokey out of bunkers unless I need extra distance which is when I'll use my SW, but mainly the SW is for around the greens when I need a touch more loft and less roll out on chip shots.
I was contemplating getting a new 58* wedge as the Vokey is quite old and the grooves are almost worn but I'm now also looking at replacing my SW even though it's a standard club in my set. The bunkers at my course are pretty terrible, there's barely any sand at the best of times and clubs just "bounce" across the sand as it's quite compact.
Along with a bunker lesson, would a lower bounce pair of Sand/Lob Wedges with a sharper leading edge be of preference to someone in this situation or am I getting completely confuddled with all this?

If you can't be bothered to read all of that, essentially I'm after some wedge buying advice :D

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I can relate to this Beezerk. I am a "picker", generally nip it off the turf and don't take much of a divot so likewise, looking down at a sand wedge with a fair bit of bounce didn't inspire confidence.
i bought 52 and 58 low bounce wedges and prefer them. I also use the 58 out of bunkers unless the sand is soft. Still carry my SW for soft sand and fluffy lies green side.
I would give a low bounce wedge a try, if only to inspire more confidence but maybe best to hold off until after the lesson as your technique may change.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Go See Ian Clarke at ICY Wedges (search the forums for my review) - bit of a journey for you, but worth it. I'm off to see him today to get my son fitted for a a couple. Worth the time and investment.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can relate to this Beezerk. I am a "picker", generally nip it off the turf and don't take much of a divot so likewise, looking down at a sand wedge with a fair bit of bounce didn't inspire confidence.
i bought 52 and 58 low bounce wedges and prefer them. I also use the 58 out of bunkers unless the sand is soft. Still carry my SW for soft sand and fluffy lies green side.
I would give a low bounce wedge a try, if only to inspire more confidence but maybe best to hold off until after the lesson as your technique may change.

Thanks mate, I may just replace the 58 Vokey for now in low bounce. I'm not really a full wedge from the fairway kind of guy so they will solely be used around the greens.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 52/58 but much prefer the loft of the 58 out of sand. Had a pitching lesson yesterday and trying to become less of a digger and want to nip it a bit more and get some more spin

My friend has just come back from 3 months in America on a teaching exchange. They're teaching young golfers " no divots from 50 yards and in on pitch shots"