Old Wedges

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, the Cleveland 900 series wedges are some of the best wedges ever made. Nothing that Cleveland has produced in the last 20 years since the 900's were current has come close in terms of aesthetics, performance and feel. Other than a couple of models from Vega, I've never found a wedge that performed like a 900 series.

What gains really has there been in wedge design/production in recent years that might make modern wedges perform better? If modern wedges were so good, why do Titleist bring out a new Vokey wedge each year that looks exactly like the old one but with a different number?

Other than some fancy micro milling on the face and maybe a bit of computer design sole grinds and placement of CoG....do modern wedges really offer a great deal over their counterparts of yesteryear?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would the banning of certain groove types not be the main reason for stagnation in the wedge world?

Also, I have owned some Vega Raw finished wedges. They were nuts, used to rip into the ball and spin like nothing I’ve ever used.

They had about 2 degree of bounce though and a razor sharp leading edge though so were useless on wet parklands grass.

Sexy as anything though.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 3

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I genuinely think any gains with any club has been marginal for a long time. I was watching my son getting a lesson recently and the pro was showing him how to do something. He took my son's driver(junior clubs) and striped one down the range with it. Probably went as far is I can hit my drive.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to change my wedges regularly simply because I wore the grooves out and the difference in spin levels between an old and a brand new wedge are very noticeable.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I bought two great Cleveland wedges from a village 8 miles away.

Cleveland wedges.jpg

The 691 is 58°
691 W.jpg
One of my favourite wedges is the SW that came with an early 1970s full set of Greentree Accurist Lee Trevino

SW.jpg

Never been too fussed about spin with clubs over 52° of loft.
You hit it up in the air, it lands on the green, stops fairly quickly.
One that stops very quickly means you have to hit it harder so that first bounce is nearer the hole.
Its all about skill and judgement whatever spin rate you are getting - just practice and get used to the club.
I often carry a 64° Ram Tour Grind from 1990s.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Would the banning of certain groove types not be the main reason for stagnation in the wedge world?

Also, I have owned some Vega Raw finished wedges. They were nuts, used to rip into the ball and spin like nothing I’ve ever used.

They had about 2 degree of bounce though and a razor sharp leading edge though so were useless on wet parklands grass.

Sexy as anything though.

OK...so grooves are perhaps one area where progress could have been made and, as you say, perhaps the rule change announced in 2008 may have restricted progress in this area.

On that matter, as I understand it, the so called "groove rule" introduced in 2008, had a provisional target date for implementation in amateur golf of 1/1/24....but golfers would be given a formal 4 year notice period before that date....so presumably an announcement was due to be made on 1/1/20. To the best of my knowledge, neither the R&A nor USGA have ever made such a "notice period" announcement. Assuming that the 4 year notice period is therefore still in effect, if an announcement was made today then we would have until Feb 2028 to continue playing with our old clubs with non-conforming grooves.

The only exception to this would be where clubs/competition organisers have adopted the model local rule (MLR G-2) dictating that clubs must conform to the post 2010 groove specifications.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a brand that I have seen on Insta that has small crosses on the face instead of grooves and they claim anyone can get the ball to spin back (usually into the hole on their videos 🤣). Has anyone tried these?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is quite interesting when you consider cast vs forged. My wedges are cast, I think I was playing blades when I got cast Cleveland wedges… I was disappointed initially but the wedge was excellent and it has changed my buying attitude since. I think you get more longevity out of them.
I only change wedges to acquire a different loft or bounce now.. usually Cleveland or Ping …
Spin levels really for me are only worth discussing if the greens are maintained correctly… no point wasting money on nice balls and new clubs if the greens maintenance or compaction is poor

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is a brand that I have seen on Insta that has small crosses on the face instead of grooves and they claim anyone can get the ball to spin back (usually into the hole on their videos 🤣). Has anyone tried these?
Smithworks?
I bet they shred the ball to bits

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smithworks?
I bet they shred the ball to bits
They are based near to me, didn't know this until our ups delivery driver mentioned he was picking up loads of golf clubs each day. Illegal for competition use, fine for social play. Apparently give mega spin.

I was surprised they exist 'buy your illegal club here' but they are very open about it.

Interesting that the right grooves really do make such a difference.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They are based near to me, didn't know this until our ups delivery driver mentioned he was picking up loads of golf clubs each day. Illegal for competition use, fine for social play. Apparently give mega spin.

I was surprised they exist 'buy your illegal club here' but they are very open about it.

Interesting that the right grooves really do make such a difference.

They also do a wedge that is ok for competition use.

I fancy giving them a go but they rarely have cack handed ones in stock

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive always been a big fan of Mizuno wedges, but the newer ones are not a patch IMO on the older, got the 22 versions and they are no where as nice looking or performance of the previous versions I think they were MPT5 in black