Recommend me some wedges

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Can anyone recommend some good value wedges? I currently have a couple of Vokeys which need replaced but I see they're wanting £169 each for the latest SM10s.....would prefer to pay somewhere in the region of £100 a club if there's any bargains out there.

Also what's everyone's thoughts on getting fitted.....does it matter as much for wedges? I play a links with firm turf and bunkers with loads of sand so I pretty much know I'd like one with high bounce for the sand and one with low bounce for the tight lies. Do shafts come into it?!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think shafts are less important in the wedges as you aren’t putting full swings on them mainly.

I would say getting the correct bounce for your swing would be more important.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cleveland are good but do wear more than a Vokey.
You can pick up older models on clearance e.g.

As per Steve shafts on wedges are pretty much standard across the makes (very often TTDG wedge Flex).

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t know your playing level, but don’t ignore the benefits of cavity back wedges.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you can see, there are many to chose from and they're all pretty good.
It's probably going to be down to personal opinion.
Have you decided what loft you are looking for?

nickh

Visit site
Take advantage of the new SM10's hitting the market and sweep up some brand new SM9's for £100, or £60-£80 second hand.

..Nick

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
As you can see, there are many to chose from and they're all pretty good.
It's probably going to be down to personal opinion.
Have you decided what loft you are looking for?
I've currently got a 52 and 58 which I was fitted for 5 years ago, so I'll likely just stick with the same lofts. I notice looking back at my fitting that the 52 is 12 degree bounce, and the 58 is 14 degree bounce. I'd actually prefer to go to a lower bounce for my 58 for the firm links lies I'm used to. I actively release the club/use the bounce on chips and pitches......will the lower bounce model actually be more difficult to play in your opinion? Alternative is just to go to my PW for the tighter lies and mostly just play a chip and run type shot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've currently got a 52 and 58 which I was fitted for 5 years ago, so I'll likely just stick with the same lofts. I notice looking back at my fitting that the 52 is 12 degree bounce, and the 58 is 14 degree bounce. I'd actually prefer to go to a lower bounce for my 58 for the firm links lies I'm used to. I actively release the club/use the bounce on chips and pitches......will the lower bounce model actually be more difficult to play in your opinion? Alternative is just to go to my PW for the tighter lies and mostly just play a chip and run type shot.

I really wouldn't recommend a low bounce wedge even if you play links. I play a fair bit of links golf and use high bounce wedges. The bounce is there to help you.
I have decent hands but I find low bounce wedges have a very fine margin of error.
Go medium if you must but I'd recommended most stay clear of low bounce.