How many wedges are in your bag?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i always had 3 PW, 52 gap and 56 or58 sw with at least 12 deg of bounce. but when i changed to GI irons i had a big gap between my PW and 52. i got a 50 bent to 48, and bent the 52 to 54. but i dont think it filled the gap and didn't really go any further than the 52 did. bent the 52 back to 52 and have 4 wedges in my bag but i never use the 48, so could just get rid if im honest.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have four, but given the lofts on modern irons are so strong, my irons start at 5 and the PW loft has meant I've added three extra to the standard one.
PW - 46°
GW - 50°
SW - 56°
LW - 60°

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Took delivery of a set of John Letters clubs yesterday.
Woods 1,3,4 and 5. The irons are 3-10 and SW.

The 9, 10 and SW are all 35.5 inch shafts.
The 10 is not a "wedge". The sole and the back is not noticeably different from the other irons. The SW has a much wider sole.
I have no accurate loft measurer, but comparing with other clubs with known lofts, I would say the 10-iron is 50° and the only wedge in the set is 57°.
Very happy with this set.

Driver and Six.jpg

Which begs the question.
Is there a difference between an iron and a wedge?
Is it a matter of shape of sole and/or back? Or is it merely a matter of loft? Or some sort of combination of both of these.
If it is purely loft, what is the cut-off point where an iron becomes a wedge?

My 9, 10 and SW might all be wedges, if the meaning of the word "wedge" has changed. But when did that change happen? And why?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Took delivery of a set of John Letters clubs yesterday.
Woods 1,3,4 and 5. The irons are 3-10 and SW.

The 9, 10 and SW are all 35.5 inch shafts.
The 10 is not a "wedge". The sole and the back is not noticeably different from the other irons. The SW has a much wider sole.
I have no accurate loft measurer, but comparing with other clubs with known lofts, I would say the 10-iron is 50° and the only wedge in the set is 57°.
Very happy with this set.

View attachment 51038

Which begs the question.
Is there a difference between an iron and a wedge?
Is it a matter of shape of sole and/or back? Or is it merely a matter of loft? Or some sort of combination of both of these.
If it is purely loft, what is the cut-off point where an iron becomes a wedge?

My 9, 10 and SW might all be wedges, if the meaning of the word "wedge" has changed. But when did that change happen? And why?
My PW (44°)and GW (48°) are just a 10 and 11 iron in reality. They are the same as my iron set. My 54° and 58° are different so I consider them my 2 wedges.

AAC

Visit site
1. 50 Degree Gap Wedge: My go-to 100-yard club. Allows me to hit full-swing shots around the green with spin and control.

2. 56 Degree Sand Wedge: Gets me out of the majority of the fairway and greenside bunkers. It's also very handy for lob shots around the greens.

3. 60 Degree Lob Wedge: Extremely high lofted wedge primarily for tricky shots where I need maximum height and soft landings on greens. Not a club I use super frequently, but it serves a purpose in the bag.

Your suggestions? As a golfer, I am always open to take suggestions from everyone.
Two, the set wedge & a 52 degree for the winter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My PW (44°)and GW (48°) are just a 10 and 11 iron in reality. They are the same as my iron set. My 54° and 58° are different so I consider them my 2 wedges.

Is the PW really a 10 iron? I see them now as a 9iron and a 9 is an 8 and so on these days really

Wish they would just stamp loft

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is the PW really a 10 iron? I see them now as a 9iron and a 9 is an 8 and so on these days really

Wish they would just stamp loft
Doesn’t matter what it’s called. PW, 9 iron or Bernard. It’s 44° and is my stock 115 yard club.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Doesn’t matter what it’s called. PW, 9 iron or Bernard. It’s 44° and is my stock 115 yard club.

Absolutely agree. If they just stamp the loft then I'd need that on ALL my clubs - I also know the full distance for my pw and also for my 50° 56° and 60° as well as all my irons and other clubs

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We went from names for irons to the numbers 2 to 8. Number 9 was a putter and then the invention of a wedge.

We have gone back to names.
Driving iron.
Utility iron.
Hybrid iron.
Gap.
Approach.
Lob.

The numbers 2 to 9 and then PW SW gives 10 clubs. Eleven if you want a 1-iron.
I have several sets that keep to this convention.
They make sense.
The current convention - there isn't one - takes some fathoming.

Kilbey

Visit site
4 currently:
43.5 PW

If I get a good diagnosis etc. next month & then successful surgery, I'll be treating myself to some i525's in retro lofts (don't have the swing speed for my current power bats & that isn't going to improve), so will drop to 3 wedges:

47 PW
58 (new SM9 S grind)

I always carry my clubs, so this will mean I'll only have 12 clubs to lug around. Driver, 5-wood, 4 hybrid, 5 - PW plus 52 & 58, putter.

I'll probably have a bit of a gap from my 4-hybrid to the 5-iron, but Moseley is only 6,300 off the tips, so I rarely need the hybrid outside of winter.