How many hybrids do you have in the bag?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have one, 4h. But I also have a 5f. Both Ping G425.

These have replaced a mixed 3h and 4f and I am finding the balance better - with the 4h working well out of light rough and for longer par 3s, and the 5f doing the job when on fairway and good distance required, or where accuracy more than distance is required off tee.

My longest iron will be a 5i, when I get my new i210s...my pro doesn’t see the need for me having a further hybrid, but as my bag will be 13 clubs there is room for one if we find I could benefit from having one.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They can definitely be 'Marmite' clubs for some folk. The 7-capper I mentioned in the post above is the same. Just wait a few more years though and they might grow on you!
I have tried them I just find them very inconsistent.
Really good for around the green.
I am still ok with my long irons and have a 5 wood.
But would not dismiss one that worked.
My mate calls his “ the wand” he’s that good with it.

jamiet7682

Visit site
2 hybrids in the bag. Callaway xr 19 degree and king cobra f9 24 degree.

Used to love the 19 degree but have fallen out of love with it recently, just not getting the consistency i want.
Probably time for another lesson.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah, Memories! I had a couple of Sonartecs 3 wood too - the SS03 and a NP99. Indeed, really good clubs. As was the TM V-Steel (a mate off 7 still uses 3, 5 and 7 and a Pro used mine until he stoved the face in) and a Tour Edge Exotics CB1 that ended up in somone on here's bag (I recognised the shaft), but not directly. More than happy with the pair of Adams XTDs now - 15 degrees originally, tweeked 1.5 degrees either way. That was during my 'Ho-ing' days, but FW was 1 club that was pretty constant (I had bags in both Scotland, for after work, and home in Surrey for Weekend).
Mine were the NP99s (Nick Price), slim faces and good for hitting off the deck.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have one but essentially zero, either i hit a 4i or a 3/5w, once in a blue moon the 4 hybrid comes out. Shouls get rid to ve honest wouldnt miss it at all

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had room for one more club in my bag so just punted for a 19 degree hybrid. My thinking being I have a distance gap between my lowest iron (5) to my 21 degree hybrid. My 5 iron probably goes 170, and my 21 degree hybrid about 185/190. I didn't really have a 200 yard club, as my next club up is my 3 wood which goes 220+.

Does the purchase of this extra hybrid sound feasible?

absolutely. My gapping goes 4w(16.5*) 18*, 20*, 23* , 5i

Gaps are all about 15/20 yards apart.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two

Both cobra f9 one length

21 degree and 24 degree

The 24 degree is my go to club, out of bunkers. Around the green. Out the rough.

The 21 is if I'm on the fairway and I need to hit as far as possible but it's too narrow for a 4 wood or on long par 3s off tee

gopher99

Visit site
2 hybrids for me 19 and 25 degree Adams a7 peanut. Both coming up to almost 12 years old now, still too young to be considered for crows bag.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've got a 19° Cobra single length (same length as my seven iron) - I love normal hybrids and fairway woods on courses where the ball sits up on the fairway - not a fan of them at all on the links courses where I play, the single length one works better for me there. Not sure anyone has mentioned it but they are the perfect club for 50 yards inwards bump and runs on a links (I hesitate to use the ch***er word)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a 19° Cobra single length (same length as my seven iron) - I love normal hybrids and fairway woods on courses where the ball sits up on the fairway - not a fan of them at all on the links courses where I play, the single length one works better for me there. Not sure anyone has mentioned it but they are the perfect club for 50 yards inwards bump and runs on a links (I hesitate to use the ch***er word)
I'm surprised at that, as hybrids tend to have a hotter face I would find it really difficult to gauge from that distance. Could easily send it flying through the back. The only short game shot I use hybrids for is when I'm just off the green, but the grass is a bit tough, and you can just pop it out with a kind of firm putting stroke.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm surprised at that, as hybrids tend to have a hotter face I would find it really difficult to gauge from that distance. Could easily send it flying through the back. The only short game shot I use hybrids for is when I'm just off the green, but the grass is a bit tough, and you can just pop it out with a kind of firm putting stroke.
That's what I like about them for a bump and run on a links - get the ball moving and it will run out well, bit more than a putting stroke but definitely not a swing. Imagination and use the contours to run it up - old style golf with a modern club.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
None for me, carry 3 wood then gap to 20° 3I. I do carry 4 wedges though, as I'm very rarely hitting anything higher than 4i into a green around our place, and i can just use a 3 wood, or something like a 7iron to get down the fairway