New Titleist SM8 Wedges!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The links fairways there are so firm that I find it hard to understand why so many of you like high bounce wedges.
Ram, once a major club maker in America (Tom Watson's old brand) called their low bounce wedges "Troon grind" and that's where my question comes from.

I'm sure that the entire British Isles are exactly like Troon, right?
I couldn't tell from the TGI Fridays--where I went for my BBQ ribs and cheeseburgers-- at Piccadilly Circus.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The links fairways there are so firm that I find it hard to understand why so many of you like high bounce wedges.
Ram, once a major club maker in America (Tom Watson's old brand) called their low bounce wedges "Troon grind" and that's where my question comes from.

I'm sure that the entire British Isles are exactly like Troon, right?
I couldn't tell from the TGI Fridays--where I went for my BBQ ribs and cheeseburgers-- at Piccadilly Circus.

When you use the bounce, the club slides into the ball. It doesn't bounce up.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hands forward .

Hands forward to get the leading edge down on a wedge with generous bounce clearly reduces the loft.
It works for some, but I just prefer low bounce wedges.

For example, I want to carry two sixty degree wedges because I like a different club in sand that I do on grass.
I like a severely curved leading edge in sand. I like a fairly straight leading edge on grass. And this is completely independent of bounce.

In the end, it's dependence on these specialty club that pushes me afoul of the fourteen-club-rule.
A driving iron that I don't hit from the fairway.
A sand iron that I don't hit from a tight grass lie.
But a fourteen club rule forcing me to choose.

The R&A / USGA officials are intentionally breaking my balls, and not the ones with Pro V1x printed on them.

Consider a set like the one below and figure out what to leave out.

13 plus 2.png

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a lot in Florida and have found a high bounce wedge is best,
But I understand that the grass Varies a lot in the USA.
So your set up is determined by the conditions you play in.
I like low bounce wedges and only have one high bounce for bunkers 56/14.
the grass in the UK isn’t so diverse but links golf is different to parkland but not drastically.
I would leave a 60* out and play away from the bunkers ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hands forward to get the leading edge down on a wedge with generous bounce clearly reduces the loft.

For example, I want to carry two sixty degree wedges because I like a different club in sand that I do on grass.
I like a severely curved leading edge in sand. I like a fairly straight leading edge on grass. And this is completely independent of bounce.

In the end, it's dependence on these specialty club that pushes me afoul of the fourteen-club-rule.

The R&A / USGA officials are intentionally breaking my balls, and not the ones with Pro V1x printed on them.

View attachment 29040

What do you feel you get from the really rounded leading edge for bunker shots?

Surely you could use the 54 and 60 cleveland wedges just as well as the ray cook.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 29040

Surely you could use the 54 and 60 cleveland wedges just as well as the ray cook.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

I don't absolutely have to use a proper, dedicated sand iron. If you ever tried one, however, you'd realize how much better they perform in the sand.

A turf-useable wedge explodes a huge cloud of sand when one hits a bunker shot from fluffy sand.
An oval faced sand iron splashed out a just a rooster tail of sand because the leading edge just digs a narrow furrow of sand coming up to the ball.
This reduces resistance significantly and makes it really hard to leave the ball in the bunker.

But this is exactly what the sanctioning bodies had in mind. They didn't want the player to have the ideal club for every possible shot. I understand that part. I'm just not happy about it!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't absolutely have to use a proper, dedicated sand iron. If you ever tried one, however, you'd realize how much better they perform in the sand.

A turf-useable wedge explodes a huge cloud of sand when one hits a bunker shot from fluffy sand.
An oval faced sand iron splashed out a just a rooster tail of sand because the leading edge just digs a narrow furrow of sand coming up to the ball.
This reduces resistance significantly and makes it really hard to leave the ball in the bunker.

But this is exactly what the sanctioning bodies had in mind. They didn't want the player to have the ideal club for every possible shot. I understand that part. I'm just not happy about it!

I agree that the design does make a bunker shot easy. Anything with such a big sole will be useful in a bunker.

As I told you before, you should try and get a lend of a vokey k grind. Its has the largest sole of all the vokeys and plenty of bounce. You will find it plays very similarity to the alien.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

You must be like most amateurs and hit way too far behind the ball, you want to practice taking as little sand as possible