New Titleist SM8 Wedges!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Anyone else waiting to see what these are like before upgrading their wedges for the coming season?

I' currently gaming 4 year old Ping Glides which are starting to show a bit of age, also I'd like to go from a 50/55/60 set to a 50/54/58

I've tried the Vokey Selector Tool Online, but find it hard to answer some of the questions!

eg.

What is the condition of the fairway on your typical course? - depends if it's the middle of summer or the middle of winter - ranges from a soggy mess to hard pan!

What is the condition of the bunkers on your typical course? - some bunkers have lovely fluffy sand, others are like a passing builder has offloaded his waste in there!

Anyway, these were my recommendations!

F-Grinds-Overlay-CG.jpg

50°
Gap Wedge
F Grind - Bounce 08°
The F grind is an all-purpose grind that is particularly suited for full shots and shots hit with a square face. Ideal for players who prefer a traditional wedge sole. The F grind is the most played sand wedge on the PGA Tour.
M-Grinds-Overlay-CG.jpg

54°
Sand Wedge
M Grind - Bounce 08°
The M Grind, Voke’s favorite, is designed for players that like to rotate the club face open and close to manufacture shots around the green. Ideal for players with a shallower, more sweeping swing type who play shots from a variety of clubface positions.
M-Grinds-Overlay-CG.jpg

58°
Lob Wedge
M Grind - Bounce 08°
The M Grind, Voke’s favorite, is designed for players that like to rotate the club face open and close to manufacture shots around the green. Ideal for players with a shallower, more sweeping swing type who play shots from a variety of clubface positions.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a 50 and 54 last year of the SM7 issue.

Use the 50 mainly from full to 3/4 length shots. It's an F grind, 8 deg of bounce. Designed to be played from fairway.

54.08 is an M grind and genuinely does what is says on the tin. Ideal for shots around the green.

I have a separate, older, Cleveland wedge at 60, which I use for almost all Greenside Bunker shots. Might upgrade this to a matching SM7 at some point.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I got a 50 and 54 last year of the SM7 issue.

Use the 50 mainly from full to 3/4 length shots. It's an F grind, 8 deg of bounce. Designed to be played from fairway.

54.08 is an M grind and genuinely does what is says on the tin. Ideal for shots around the green.

I have a separate, older, Cleveland wedge at 60, which I use for almost all Greenside Bunker shots. Might upgrade this to a matching SM7 at some point.

Cool.

When I got my Ping Wedges it was the same time I bought my ping irons, so they all have the Ping (Nikkon) AWT 2.0 shafts.

I am struggling to find out much about these online in terms of weight for the wedge versions, I'm not sure the standard Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex will blend in as well. Lots of custom fit options :

https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/titleist/wedges/vokey-jet-black-sm7/

But I guess the only way to be sure is go get fitted !

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cool.

When I got my Ping Wedges it was the same time I bought my ping irons, so they all have the Ping (Nikkon) AWT 2.0 shafts.

I am struggling to find out much about these online in terms of weight for the wedge versions, I'm not sure the standard Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex will blend in as well. Lots of custom fit options :

https://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/titleist/wedges/vokey-jet-black-sm7/

But I guess the only way to be sure is go get fitted !

I'm not an expert, but I think shafts within wedges is unlikely to have much impact at all.
Obviously club speeds are slower with shorter clubs and so many shots are hit as less than full swings.

With the Vokeys, the sole and bounce is far more important. I also found it very helpful to just have the knowledge / appreciation of what a club was designed to do... so I'm not going to hit my wedge with 8 degrees of bounce in a fluffy bunker or to try and cut the sole through thick rough.

So 100% worth going and just playing dumb to a fitter and asking him to explain each type of sole to you, albeit you probably won't be able to test on course conditions in a range / studio.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wish they would release the full details of the sm8 line up. Maybe they have and I've missed it.

I really want a 56K grind. Been toying with getting one off wedgeworks but will keep my powder dry incase its available in the sm8 range.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
The best way to test wedges is to get a few different grinds of the same loft out on your home course spend an hour or 2 hitting from the lies you usually use each wedge for. You will quickly realise the one best suited for your technique and the ground conditions you usually play. Going for a wedge fit from a guy using trackman hitting off of a range mat is about the most ludicrous thing I've heard in all honesty. This is nothing like hitting off of turf and also hitting off a mat makes the ball launch higher which again messes up the numbers when it comes to gapping etc. For wedge play the single best thing you can do if you cant take a trackman out on the course or a grass range is to, hit a dozen balls with each wedge and walk right in to the middle of the pack and zap with a range finder where you were hitting from.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
K Grind - A large sole and increased bounce, along with wider camber, allows the golfer with a steep angle of attract to execute and control a full variety of shots in medium to soft conditions.

No steep angle of attack here ;)

Kennysarmy

Visit site
The best way to test wedges is to get a few different grinds of the same loft out on your home course spend an hour or 2 hitting from the lies you usually use each wedge for. You will quickly realise the one best suited for your technique and the ground conditions you usually play. Going for a wedge fit from a guy using trackman hitting off of a range mat is about the most ludicrous thing I've heard in all honesty. This is nothing like hitting off of turf and also hitting off a mat makes the ball launch higher which again messes up the numbers when it comes to gapping etc. For wedge play the single best thing you can do if you cant take a trackman out on the course or a grass range is to, hit a dozen balls with each wedge and walk right in to the middle of the pack and zap with a range finder where you were hitting from.

There are places that you can get wedges from that allow you to use them in this way?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Titleist Celtic Manor.
I had a wedge fitting there off grass tee.

Would you recommend them?

Our local "Gloucester Golf Centre" is an Advanced Fitting Centre for titleist, but is an indoor centre only, no chance to hit off grass.

Celtic Manor is about an hour's drive from me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would you recommend them?

Our local "Gloucester Golf Centre" is an Advanced Fitting Centre for titleist, but is an indoor centre only, no chance to hit off grass.

Celtic Manor is about an hour's drive from me.
Yes it was excellent.
They fit you for the wedge then you go out on the grass to make sure it’s what you want. Divot pattern etc.
We got a Sunday driver ,played Roman road then fitted Sunday.
Overnight stay and played Montgomery Monday morning as well.
Hotel is really nice.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Saw a 58 M grind 8° bounce wedge on Facebook today so have taken a punt. £69 posted brand new from Leek golf club.
Clearing out stock I guess before the sm8's come in.
Hopefully have it for my weekend game.