Anyone Here Using a Callaway Sure Out?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been kind of tinkering with the bag set-up for this year while it's still winter. Think I'm mostly sorted now but the Sure Out has caught my eye as a potential final addition.

I used to be very hit and miss with bunkers, eventually I started using this knackered Dunlop 60° that was found on a course and nobody claimed. That improved things simply because it was more loft really. But since I only use that in bunkers it means I could directly replace it with a Sure Out.

If I get one it would probably be the 64°, because 58 would be too close to my 56 as to be pointless. And I have seen they do it in 60 but it seems less common to get hold of.

Anyone using the 64° Sure Out? Does it do what it says on the tin and get you out of bunkers with ease? Easy for a hacker such as myself to use? Would it be noticeably better than a bog-standard 60° with the face slightly open?

Just as some extra info, the sand on the courses I play tends to vary, a lot of the time they're quite hard with not very much sand, which makes them more difficult to get out of. I'm not sure if a 64° with a big sole will make it easier or harder in that respect. Those are certainly the bunker shots I struggle with the most though, it's very hard to get under/behind the ball and you end up just blading it out miles, unless the front lip is low enough that I can strike the ball clean and kind of gently flop it out instead.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lessons over new club all day long. Especially if you're having real trouble getting out of bunkers you can speak to a pro about this and they should be able to help.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons over new club all day long. Especially if you're having real trouble getting out of bunkers you can speak to a pro about this and they should be able to help.
Nah I don't bother with lessons for multiple reasons I've gone into before so I won't do it again.;) I was just looking for reviews from people who use the Sure Out wedge.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve got one a 58 deg. I bought it a couple of years ago after a period of poor bunker play. I hate the looks, it looks odd in the bag next to my irons and I feel it’s me giving in slightly!! That said.... I can’t get it out the bag!! I’ve tried on a couple of occasions but it keeps working it’s way back in there. It gives me more consistency out of bunkers than any other wedge I’ve tried and it’s really good out of deeper green side rough.
It’s a begrudging thumbs up from me 😱

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, you are just looking to mask a technical issue, off your handicap a 64 wedge unless its a magic club and hit the shot for you won't be the answer. if its parkland bunkers a 56 should be more than enough loft.

Might be worth looking at the bounce on your 56, if its high bounce that will work better with more soft sand, if it grit or hard pan, less bounce. When i played at the local parkland the bunkers there had little or no sand, i just treated it like a chip shot.

I think Bob has an online lesson on bunker play have a look at that....

Just a thanks will be enough for saving you the cost of a new wedge;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH, you are just looking to mask a technical issue, off your handicap a 64 wedge unless its a magic club and hit the shot for you won't be the answer. if its parkland bunkers a 56 should be more than enough loft.

Might be worth looking at the bounce on your 56, if its high bounce that will work better with more soft sand, if it grit or hard pan, less bounce. When i played at the local parkland the bunkers there had little or no sand, i just treated it like a chip shot.

I think Bob has an online lesson on bunker play have a look at that....

Just a thanks will be enough for saving you the cost of a new wedge;)
That's not really the reason. We all like new shinies, and this seemed like potentially a nice replacement for a knackered cheap Dunlop that I'm currently using that's all. Just wanted to hear some reviews of it.

My 56° is 'high bounce' apparently.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's not really the reason. We all like new shinies, and this seemed like potentially a nice replacement for a knackered cheap Dunlop that I'm currently using that's all. Just wanted to hear some reviews of it.

My 56° is 'high bounce' apparently.

why the 64 then, unless you have 20 foot deep reveted bunkers i couldn't think of one good reason to have that much loft?

i could get out off all but 3 of the deep pot bunkers at ours with a 56, only got a 58 as there were 3 that are at least 12ft deep (all 3 have since been removed this winter with the course changes) even opening the face wide open you couldn't make it out of.

by all means get one if you really want to but you asked for advice, mine would be to stick with 56 and lean to play bunker shots;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
why the 64 then, unless you have 20 foot deep reveted bunkers i couldn't think of one good reason to have that much loft?

i could get out off all but 3 of the deep pot bunkers at ours with a 56, only got a 58 as there were 3 that are at least 12ft deep (all 3 have since been removed this winter with the course changes) even opening the face wide open you couldn't make it out of.

by all means get one if you really want to but you asked for advice, mine would be to stick with 56 and lean to play bunker shots;)
I said it in the first post, they mostly do it in 58 or 64, and getting the 58 seems less worthwhile when I have a 56. They do it in 60 also but they're less common, could be harder to get hold of.

Thanks for bragging about your bunker play, but I'm not you am I? And I didn't ask for advice at all, I asked for reviews from people who've used a Sure Out.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t touch the 64, for me it wouldn’t be versatile enough. I’d go for the 58 and drop your current sand wedge.

It’s not really a versatile club anyway but the 64 would just go up your left nostril

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I said it in the first post, they mostly do it in 58 or 64, and getting the 58 seems less worthwhile when I have a 56. They do it in 60 also but they're less common, could be harder to get hold of.

Thanks for bragging about your bunker play, but I'm not you am I? And I didn't ask for advice at all, I asked for reviews from people who've used a Sure Out.

Not bragging at all, just trying to help you.

spend away then:)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t touch the 64, for me it wouldn’t be versatile enough. I’d go for the 58 and drop your current sand wedge.

It’s not really a versatile club anyway but the 64 would just go up your left nostril
There is actually a 60° version I'm currently watching on ebay, but it has a lot of bids already so I have a feeling the price is going to skyrocket in the last few hours. But if it doesn't I might go for it.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Last time I played, really struggled in the hard sand in the bunkers. Definitely requires less loft, and played more like a chip shot.

NM1

Visit site
Knowing some of the clubs you play at (we live close by) then I think it is a great idea, the lack of any sand at some is pitiful ! Go for it, get the shiniest you can !

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm an awful bunker player, so I grasped the straw and tried the Sureout 58 and 64. btw I believe the reason for the 64 is that you aren't meant to open the face at all. Opening the normal wedge adds quite a few degrees.

Anyway, before trying the Callaways I used to try to get out of bunkers with a Ping Glide 54 or 58, usually the 54. And I sucked. After quite a few evenings experimenting with the 2 pings and the 2 callaways I now usually carry the Ping 54 as a general purpose wedge, the Ping 58 as my bunker club and the Callaway 58 as a "knock it a million miles in the air, but stop it dead exactly 50 yards away club". Off a decent or slightly fluffy grass lie, a 50 yard pitch that stops within a foot of landing is almost tediously easy. Occasionally carry the 64 but not so often.

Just couldn't get the hang of them out of bunkers and ended up hitting more predictable (but still not great) using the Ping 58.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
@patricks148 is correct in his ideology.

Yes - it is legitimate to have an interest in equipment and trying / buying new clubs, but in reality the chances of this genuinely saving shots is slim.

I've not seen you explaining your reasons for not having lessons, but I would say someone who is a regular player at 20 handicap will have excellent capacity to improve with 3 or 4 hours worth of lessons and a practice session every week or so. Probably this will be far more satisfying.

Far better use of your money (and time) if you are genuinely looking to improve. If you are happy at 20 and enjoy playing and tinkering, then that's clearly great. But if you really want to improve and get well into the teens, I believe lessons will help almost any player in this regard - especially higher handicap players.

I started in 2011 and got fed up only getting down to 24 and playing rubbish golf. In the winter of 2013/14, I had 7 x 1 hour lessons and a regular range sessions. I year later I was down to 17. Barely spent anything on new clubs since.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a moment of weakness I bought a 58 degree version, I couldn't get past how fugly it was, I sold it quickly and went to the practice ground to try and improve my bunker play, I'm still not great but was better than carrying that thing around.

You seem to be buying on price rather than what will actually work for you, probably not the best way of approaching things.