Anyone Here Using a Callaway Sure Out?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@patricks148 is correct in his ideology.

Yes - it is legitimate to have an interest in equipment and trying / buying new clubs, but in reality the chances of this genuinely saving shots is slim.

I've not seen you explaining your reasons for not having lessons, but I would say someone who is a regular player at 20 handicap will have excellent capacity to improve with 3 or 4 hours worth of lessons and a practice session every week or so. Probably this will be far more satisfying.

Far better use of your money (and time) if you are genuinely looking to improve. If you are happy at 20 and enjoy playing and tinkering, then that's clearly great. But if you really want to improve and get well into the teens, I believe lessons will help almost any player in this regard - especially higher handicap players.

I started in 2011 and got fed up only getting down to 24 and playing rubbish golf. In the winter of 2013/14, I had 7 x 1 hour lessons and a regular range sessions. I year later I was down to 17. Barely spent anything on new clubs since.
I will PM you so this thread doesn't get clogged up with 'lesson chat'. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a moment of weakness I bought a 58 degree version, I couldn't get past how fugly it was, I sold it quickly and went to the practice ground to try and improve my bunker play, I'm still not great but was better than carrying that thing around.

You seem to be buying on price rather than what will actually work for you, probably not the best way of approaching things.
Well this is why I'm asking people's opinions. It's hard to know if it works until you have one in your hands, so it's catch 22 isn't it?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well this is why I'm asking people's opinions. It's hard to know if it works until you have one in your hands, so it's catch 22 isn't it?

Suppose it depends on how bad a player you are, if your crap then your probably not going to find a club out here that's gonna make you any better, spend your money on lessons.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Cleveland equivalent is called the Smart Sole. Not tried one though. I tried the Sure Out for a while, but couldn’t get on with it ... much prefer my Vokey SM6 58 K Grind ... would recommend looking at a K Grind.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the 58. I didn’t buy it specifically for bunkers but also for flop type shots that are needed a lot around my course and shots to and around raised greens.
I bought it because all the media say it’s easy to hit, big face, big sole etc.
I have to say it’s excellent, especially when you have short sided yourself and need an “up quick, stop quick” shot. I am not a club maker and I will be the first to admit I don’t really understand why it’s supposed to be so easy to hit over other clubs of the same type, but at the same time I don’t understand why if the Sure Out is so easy, then why aren’t other wedges made the same? It’s not like you are sacrificing distance for forgiveness, so why play with something that makes the game harder? If we apply the same logic of not playing the Sure Out (because it’s some kind of cop out) to other clubs, we would all be playing blades.
That said, I use a Ping Glide 52 for “normal” shots around the green and chipping, but have no hesitation in grabbing the Sure Out when needed.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the 58. I didn’t buy it specifically for bunkers but also for flop type shots that are needed a lot around my course and shots to and around raised greens.
I bought it because all the media say it’s easy to hit, big face, big sole etc.
I have to say it’s excellent, especially when you have short sided yourself and need an “up quick, stop quick” shot. I am not a club maker and I will be the first to admit I don’t really understand why it’s supposed to be so easy to hit over other clubs of the same type, but at the same time I don’t understand why if the Sure Out is so easy, then why aren’t other wedges made the same? It’s not like you are sacrificing distance for forgiveness, so why play with something that makes the game harder? If we apply the same logic of not playing the Sure Out (because it’s some kind of cop out) to other clubs, we would all be playing blades.
That said, I use a Ping Glide 52 for “normal” shots around the green and chipping, but have no hesitation in grabbing the Sure Out when needed.

I use blades but have the a diabolical short game so have a chipper in my bag and my last round it saved me at least 6 shots and I chipped in for a birdie!
I feel a bit of a *** for using one but so far it seems to helping

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Cleveland equivalent is called the Smart Sole. Not tried one though. I tried the Sure Out for a while, but couldn’t get on with it ... much prefer my Vokey SM6 58 K Grind ... would recommend looking at a K Grind.
That’s the one.

Here’s the original
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173782768657

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202586936985

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323679063386

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a vokey k grind 60. I love it too.

May switch to a d grind when I change as it has similar characteristics but a little more relief in the big sole to open it more.

That said I can still do alot with the big sole k grind.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd also be interested to see the feedback from people who have used these

12 months ago I was really happy with my game except for my bunker play which is shocking, and was considering 1 of these

Instead I went the route you guys are suggesting, booked a lesson with a pro, 12 months later handicap up 3 shots and almost quit the game last year, totally screwed my game up

So basically different strokes for different folks, what works for you may not be the right way for others

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

12 months ago I was really happy with my game except for my bunker play which is shocking, and was considering 1 of these

Instead I went the route you guys are suggesting, booked a lesson with a pro, 12 months later handicap up 3 shots and almost quit the game last year, totally screwed my game up

So basically different strokes for different folks, what works for you may not be the right way for others
Thanks for this. Apparently a guy can't ask for club recommendations without being bombarded with people telling him to get lessons instead. :confused:

I see you use the same irons as me as well (unless your sig is out of date), good man! (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

How did that lesson mess up your Game?

Pretty sure you can only go up 1 full shot in handicap per year.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for this. Apparently a guy can't ask for club recommendations without being bombarded with people telling him to get lessons instead. :confused:

I see you use the same irons as me as well (unless your sig is out of date), good man! (y)

It's a golf forum, I think you'll find we're entitled to opinions. :rolleyes:

Apparently you can't hit a 60 degree wedge & you think a 64 degree wedge is the answer; those on here who have some experience know how hard they are to hit & so suggest something that might be more beneficial. If you're going to ask people generally will try to help, please stop throwing it back in people's faces (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a golf forum, I think you'll find we're entitled to opinions. :rolleyes:

Apparently you can't hit a 60 degree wedge & you think a 64 degree wedge is the answer; those on here who have some experience know how hard they are to hit & so suggest something that might be more beneficial. If you're going to ask people generally will try to help, please stop throwing it back in people's faces (y)
Well you obviously struggle to read.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've a 58 degree Sure Out, it works well for me in bunkers and on grass. My irons are TM Afterburners but the SW still has the plastic on it, the Sure Out is the last club I would change.